French Fridays with Dorie: (not) Tartine de Viande des Grisons

Prosciutto on toast with goat cheese and fig spread on eatlivetravelwrite.comThis week’s French Fridays with Dorie recipe sounds a lot scarier than it actually is – Tartine de Viande de Grisons simply means an open-faced sandwich, topped with salted, air-dried beef (bresaola) and Dorie’s recipe calls for a few walnuts and walnut oil to top the meat.

I’ll be honest and admit that even though I don’t like bresaola much, I did head out looking for it, thinking I would make this for Mr Neil for lunch…

Prosciutto toast goat cheese and fig spread on eatlivetravelwrite.comBut on the day I scheduled to make this (welcome to my life right now – if I’ve scheduled a dish on a certain day, it has to be made on that particular day otherwise it loses its window!) I couldn’t find any bresaola – just locally-produced prosciutto. So I went with that…

Toast with goat cheese prosciutto and fig spread on eatlivetravelwrite.comI realised I probably couldn’t just serve bruschetta with prosciutto so I rummaged around in the fridge to find some fig-cabernet spread and some goat cheese…

Bruschetta with goat cheese prosciutto and fig spread on eatlivetravelwrite.comT’was the perfect lunch in the middle of a busy day. And yes, I feel ridiculously guilty that it’s so easy. Ok, so just a little bit guilty. After all, t’is the silly season and busy teachers deserve an easy French Friday every now and then 😉

Get the (real) recipe for Dorie’s Tartine de Viande des Grisons on page 41 of Around my French Table.

FFwD badge

French Fridays with Dorie participants do not publish the recipes on our blogs, we prefer if you purchase Around My French Table for yourselves which you can do here on Amazon or Amazon Canada. Or for free worldwide shipping, buy from The Book Depository. Go on, treat yourself then join us here!

Eiffel Tower Paris on eatlivetravelwrite.com

NEW: Want to experience Paris differently? Join me in March 2015 with AYA Life for a trip to Paris like no other – “like a local”. Details here.

___________

Please note: The product links from Amazon, Amazon.ca and The Book Depository are affiliate links, meaning if you click over and purchase something, I will receive a very small percentage of the purchase price which goes towards maintaining eat. live. travel. write. Thank you in advance!
Lampe Berger on eatlivetravelwrite.com

Canadians – win a Lampe Berger prize pack valued at $200! Closes December 9th 2014 6pm EST. Details here.

, , , , , , , , , , , ,

15 Responses to French Fridays with Dorie: (not) Tartine de Viande des Grisons

1. Ei December 5, 2014 at 05:48 #

Woah–what you came up with sounds DELICIOUS. Goat cheese, fig-cabernet spread, and prosciutto sounds like a pretty perfect combo to me!

2. Adriana December 5, 2014 at 06:37 #

I could go for a slice of your tartine NOW. That spread sounds incredible.

3. Mr. Neil December 5, 2014 at 07:50 #

It says something about our house in that a “rummage around in the fridge” finds chevre and fig-cabernet spread, doesn’t it? 😉

Yes, a nice midday treat (with home made soup).

Would have preferred the bresaola, of course, but such is the life of a hardened taste-tester…. 😉

4. Liz December 5, 2014 at 08:50 #

Your twists on this tartine sound fabulous! I know I’d love it with prosciutto, too.

5. Katie December 5, 2014 at 09:28 #

Oh my, that sounds like a lovely idea for a tartine with that jam! I agree that the name of the meat is a bit off-putting: the hard g followed by the back-of-the-throat r and then the sizzle of the “s” in the middle. Definitely sounds right out of the abattoir! 🙂 Cheers to you, Mardi, and good luck as the term ends!

6. Mary Hirsch December 5, 2014 at 16:46 #

If you recall, it was Santa who put together this month’s recipe choices. One of his big questions to Betsy and me before making his decision was, “It’s a hectic season and don’t you think busy teachers, like Mardi of Eat.Live.TravelWrite. deserves an easy French Friday every now and then?”
    We told Santa it was all about Mardi this month so to choose his picks carefully. Glad you agree that this choice was a great one. When I rummage around in my fridge, I find Chia seeds, a 90%-full jar of jalapeno slices and 3 shriveled carrots.

7. Betsy December 5, 2014 at 22:06 #

Love your flavor combination. I bought some prosciutto right before I ended up finding bresaola, so maybe I’ll try this. I have goat cheese and some kind of fig jam in my fridge too!

8. Teresa December 6, 2014 at 01:12 #

Your tartine looks and sounds wonderful! You have superior refrigerator contents. The bresaola I used was really transformed by the other ingredients. Such a nice snack.

9. TheKitchenLioness December 6, 2014 at 10:48 #

Mardi, busy time of year for all of us it seems – you certainly got very creative with your Tartine.
    Have a reasonably stress-free weekend!

10. Nana December 6, 2014 at 11:15 #

Oh Mardi that tartine looks wonderful, such a great mix of ingredients. We loved this one,
    and since I am writing this just before lunch, I could use one now. Have a great weekend.

11. Diane Balch December 6, 2014 at 12:52 #

I like your Italian version more… but that’s were I’m coming from… not much of a beef fan. Love what you did with this recipe.

12. Diane Zwang December 7, 2014 at 00:11 #

You had me at fig-cabernet spread and some goat cheese. I think anything is better with goat cheese. I made speculoos this week and consulted your blog before making them, that way I could get them right.

13. Rose December 7, 2014 at 05:09 #

I don’t know if you do need to track down the beef, I’m having it this morning for breakfast with classic parma and it’s delicious. The walnuts still pair perfectly.

14. Cakelaw December 7, 2014 at 06:31 #

Yum, I am in awe of the fig-cabernet spread – it would have been better than mustard!

15. Cher December 9, 2014 at 21:53 #

Very pretty 🙂
    Right now, I have to schedule my schedule – and heaven help me if one things gets out of whack. Game over. Things have to calm down eventually, right?