French Fridays with Dorie: Storzapretis

Storzapretis from Around my French Table on eatlivetravelwrite.comThis week’s French Fridays with Dorie recipe (Storzapretis aka Corsican Spinach and Mint Gnocchi) is the final recipe in the Vegetables and Grains chapter of the book. What? Really?  The end is, indeed, near (we’re slated to finish cooking through the book in April 2015).  It’s a gnocchi made with a soft ricotta, flour, cheese, spinach and a little mint, baked in a tomato sauce and topped with cheese. Sounds easy, huh?

Dorie Greenspan storzapretis on eatlivetravelwrite.comWell, yes, in theory.  Though I drained my ricotta as per the recipe, not much liquid drained off (although perhaps had I drained it overnight it might have…) so I thought I had a fairly firm cheese. Wrong!  Once I mixed it with the rest of the ingredients (a scant 2 tablespoons of flour and just one egg for what was supposed to be 36 large-ish gnocchi), it was still very very soft and not really able to be made into the gnocchi shape (no matter how misshapen they were supposed to be!) so I placed the mix in the fridge for a bit to see if it would firm up. It did, slightly, and I formed the gnocchi in very rustic quenelle-shapes then rolled them in flour and popped them in the freezer to firm up some more.

I cooked the first batch for a friend for dinner that night and they were delicious although they were VERY delicate – some of them fell apart in the simmering water and others just didn’t hold it together in the sauce in the oven. It was delicious though.

Storzapretis (Corsican Spinach and Mint Gnocchi) on eatlivetravelwrite.comFortunately I had saved a few (my “photo op” plate  – it was very dark by the time I cooked the first batch – so no natural light to speak of for photos!) and popped them in the freezer overnight. The next day I brought my cooking water to a boil then took it off the heat. I placed the strozapretis in there two at a time for less time than I had the night before. I skipped the cold water bath (supposed to firm them up, made a few fall apart the night before) and placed them directly in the baking dish on a splash of the tomato sauce (the original recipe calls for way more sauce than this recipe needs, I feel) – just enough to coat the bottom of the dish. I added a touch more tomato sauce on top of the completed dish them baked at a slightly higher temp than the recipe called for (I think 375˚F?) until the dish was golden and bubbling. The gnocchi stayed together much better than they did the night before 🙂  Leftovers the following day fared even better.

Dorie Greenspan Storzapretis (Corsican Spinach and Mint Gnocchi) on eatlivetravelwrite.comSo ok, whilst I know I am known for going rogue on recipes, this time it was for a good reason. These are delicious and I would totally make them again, based on what I learned the first time. Oh, and maybe I’ll try draining my ricotta overnight too 😉

Get the recipe for Dorie Greenspan’s Storzapretis (Corsican Mint and Spinach Gnocchi) on p 376 of Around my French Table.

FFwD badge

French Fridays with Dorie participants do not publish the recipes on our blogs, we prefer if you purchase Around My French Table for yourselves which you can do here on Amazon or Amazon Canada. Or for free worldwide shipping, buy from The Book Depository. Go on, treat yourself then join us here!

Eiffel Tower Paris on eatlivetravelwrite.com

NEW: Want to experience Paris differently? Join me in March 2015 with AYA Life for a trip to Paris like no other – “like a local”. Details here.

___________

Please note: The product links from Amazon, Amazon.ca and The Book Depository are affiliate links, meaning if you click over and purchase something, I will receive a very small percentage of the purchase price which goes towards maintaining eat. live. travel. write. Thank you in advance!

___________

Mastering the Art of French Eating by Ann Mah on eatlivetravelwrite.com

US/Canadian readers – Win a copy of Mastering the Art of French Eating! Ends November 25th 2014 6pm EST. Details here.

Street Food Diaries

Canadian readers – Win a copy of Street Food Diaries! Ends November 25th 2014 6pm EST. Details here.

, , , , , , , ,

17 Responses to French Fridays with Dorie: Storzapretis

1. Liz November 21, 2014 at 06:29 #

I love that our first photos are almost the same! I agree that there was definitely a learning curve when cooking them…

2. Cher November 21, 2014 at 08:49 #

It seems like many of us had angst with this one. It looks lovely! (And glad the second batch worked out so well for you)

3. Katie November 21, 2014 at 09:18 #

Pretty pretty with the blue! I’m also glad the second batch worked out better: sometimes it’s like a mission to get the dang thing right, especially when you know the recipe has potential to be good!

4. Kathy November 21, 2014 at 11:45 #

Glad you got your second batch to work out for you! I really enjoyed these…but your tips took away some of the mystique in making them! Very nice photos, I especially love the last one!

5. Mr. Neil November 21, 2014 at 14:25 #

Well Mr. Neil was lucky enough to sample both batches. Delicious – again, I didn’t miss the meat! – but Batch Two definitely had a little more substance.

I didn’t have any Corsican wine on hand, so instead paired with a Sicilian cannonau (Grenache) based blend – which worked very well.

6. Cakelaw November 21, 2014 at 16:34 #

Mardi, I was grateful for your tips. After hearing about the issues boiling them, I just went straight to baking and they were delish and relatively grief free in the cooking. Yours looks so good, I want some more!

7. Betsy November 21, 2014 at 22:16 #

I’m glad the leftovers turned out so well. I will say that I drained my ricotta overnight (actually close to 24 hours) after I read about your experience and very little liquid (1 Tbsp, maybe) came out. I’m thinking maybe your spinach was not dry enough? I did enjoy these, though probably won’t take the time to make them again.

8. Mary Hirsch November 21, 2014 at 23:03 #

Your photos do look pretty darn delicious. With everyone’s help and advice and suggestions, I am ready to make this dish in January. Do you remember when you chose Paris-Brest as a recipe choice last Winter? I just knew I could not do it – way above my pay grade. But, after reading everyone’s Post, I did make it and did reasonably well. So, that’s what I intend to do with this recipe. Thanks for all the suggestions.

9. Gracie ~ Food Fascination November 22, 2014 at 00:38 #

The flavors were great with this recipe right? I am glad you were able to enjoy a few!

10. Teresa November 22, 2014 at 01:27 #

What a gorgeous photo! I really benefitted from all the suggestions in the P & Q this week. I love how the earlybirds help procrastinators like me. (Although I’ve already got next week’s post scheduled. Not sure why I’m so out of character!)

11. Nana November 22, 2014 at 11:46 #

These were time consuming to prepare, but I have to admit I didn’t really have any problems.
    Beginner’s luck I guess. Jim and I enjoyed them, and I will definitely make them again.
    Yours looks quite delicious, and yes, they were good leftover too. Have a great weekend.

12. Diane Balch November 22, 2014 at 20:12 #

I’ve been going rogue a lot lately and I got caught on this one. I like your baking tweaks and I usually always bake everything about 25 degrees higher. I don’t think my oven heats as well as Dories. Great photos.

13. Adriana November 23, 2014 at 10:12 #

Mine melted, even after draining the ricotta, so I’m happy that baking worked out so well.

14. Alice November 23, 2014 at 11:58 #

I think I’ll be just oven baking this dish, but just for kicks, I might poach a few just to see how that goes 🙂 always love your photos Mardi!

15. Diane Zwang November 23, 2014 at 15:15 #

I started to skip the water bath too and I think it helped to keep them together. I loved the flavors of these and the leftovers were good too. Enjoy your time in Paris, I think you said you were going back:)

• Mardi Michels November 23, 2014 at 16:49 #

Thanks Diane, not Paris this time (well for one night only) but a visit to the South West 🙂

16. TheKitchenLioness November 25, 2014 at 04:24 #

Mardi, absolutely wonderful presentation – your last picture is my very favorite – we liked to mop up that extra sauce with some nice rustic bread.
    Hope you are having a good week,
    Andrea