French Fridays with Dorie: Sausage-stuffed Cornish Hens

Dorie Greenspan sausage stuffed Cornish hens on eatlivetravelwrite.comThis week’s French Fridays with Dorie recipe (sausage-stuffed Cornish hens, p 266) made me make a mental note to eat Cornish hens more often.  You know when sometimes you feel like a roast chicken but there’s only one (or two) of you and a whole bird seems like a lot to cook?  Now there’s nothing I love more than leftovers (no cooking the next day!) but sometimes the time just isn’t right – like, for example, when you’re going away in a couple of days and you know you won’t eat them?  I made this week’s recipe a few days before leaving on our quick trip to France and Denmark and not only were these really easy to prepare, but they were the perfect size too.

Cornish hens don’t take that long to cook (because of their small size), even stuffed with a little sausage meat (that had been pre-cooked), these two took just under an hour to cook completely. I had planned on serving these at room temperature with a salad for dinner (obviously these were cooked in the afternoon so there was light to photograph them!) but for a reason that escapes me now, we didn’t end up eating these until the following day. I was worried that these would be a little dried out once reheated but in a gentle oven (around 300˚F) they were fine. The stuffing wasn’t piping hot but since I knew it was cooked, it didn’t matter.

Sausage stuffed Cornish hens for French Fridays wth Dorie on eatlivetravelwrite.comI didn’t make the sauce for these, but wish I had. While the meat was moist and tasty, then skin crispy and the stuffing wonderfully flavourful, it really did need some sauce. Next time. Because there will be a next time. Cornish hens are the perfect roast chicken dinner for two, you know!

FFwD badge

Find the recipe for Dorie’s sausage-stuffed Cornish hens here.

French Fridays with Dorie participants do not publish entire recipes on our blogs, we prefer if you purchase Around My French Table for yourselves which you can do here on Amazon or Amazon Canada. Or for free worldwide shipping, buy from The Book Depository. Go on, treat yourself then join us here!

Please note: The product links from Amazon, Amazon.ca and The Book Depository are affiliate links. If you click on these links and purchase the product I have linked to or any other product, I will receive a small percentage of the sale price.

____________

Canadian giveaway: Win a KitchenAid® 5-Speed Diamond Blender and one copy of Monica Shaw’s Smarter Fitter Smoothies! Closes Sunday, March 16th 6pm EST.

, , , , , ,

17 Responses to French Fridays with Dorie: Sausage-stuffed Cornish Hens

1. Cakelaw March 14, 2014 at 03:44 #

Your hens look great Mardi. Enjoy France and Denmark!

2. Cher March 14, 2014 at 12:45 #

They look lovely – this was such a simple dish.
    Enjoy your time in Denmark. I’ve enjoyed your France pics so far :-)

3. Coco in the Kitchen March 14, 2014 at 16:03 #

What a cozy meal.
    Happy French Friday!

4. Liz March 14, 2014 at 17:06 #

Your hens look perfectly cooked! Safe travels home :)

5. Mary Hirsch March 14, 2014 at 20:05 #

I hope you are getting the break you needed from the workaday world will share a little of your goings on with us. Your Canadian Cornish Hens look like Cornish Hens should look. I don’t know where we went astray but my so-called Cornish hens were huge. I also must admit when I re-heated the leftover hen the next day, it wasn’t that good. For most of the FFWD gang, this was a hit so I will re-try when I spot one of those little hens in the store. Yours look prettyt darn tasty.

6. KarenP March 14, 2014 at 20:51 #

I made the same mental note to myself – I have always loved Cornish hens and don’t make them often enough. Yours look perfect!

7. Gracie ~ Food Fascination March 15, 2014 at 00:39 #

I need to remember to make these little birds more often too. I love making roast chicken, but with just the two of us here, a whole chicken is too much.
    Have a fun trip!

8. Candy (Dulce) March 15, 2014 at 10:59 #

I’m still a little sidetracked thinking about your trip – sounds wonderful! I can’t wait to hear about it. That said, your birds look delicious. I agree, it’s a nice size so that you can get both white and dark meat in a small size. Mine turned out nicely. And it was such a quick dinner – hard to go wrong. I think I must have thought that they were more work!

Beautiful!

9. EmilyC March 15, 2014 at 13:30 #

Happy Holidays and do share pictures! I shall be on the lookout for these mini chickens for some time.

10. Kathy March 15, 2014 at 13:42 #

I also love Cornish Hens! They present so well for company, too! We really enjoyed this recipe and can see making it again.
    Hope you are having a marvelous trip…Looking forward to hearing all about it!!

11. Rose March 15, 2014 at 14:23 #

Have fun in Copenhagen. I’ve always wanted to visit and have yet to make it up there. Would love to hear what you thought about it.

12. Tricia S. March 15, 2014 at 18:53 #

How fun to know you were visiting both France and Copenhagen. We hit C way too briefly (as in to find the airport and fly out….) about 7 years ago and you are making me think I need to move on a trip back to Scandinavia :) I will have to look for tumblr photos from you. And great job, as always, on getting the AMFT recipe done and beautifully photographed before heading out. So nice to know that you enjoyed it as well.

• Mr. Neil March 18, 2014 at 13:10 #

Pack a large wallet – it’s EXPENSIVE!

13. betsy March 15, 2014 at 20:17 #

Your hens are so beautifully browned. Glad you enjoyed this lovely, quick, weeknight dinner. Hope you are enjoying your trip.

14. Maria @ Box of Stolen Socks March 17, 2014 at 15:14 #

These birds looks so nice!!! I loved this recipe! Enjoy your trip!

15. yummychunklet March 18, 2014 at 08:51 #

So yummy in the pan!

16. Mr. Neil March 18, 2014 at 13:12 #

These were absolutely perfect. Not much more to say. Have always found Cornish Hens flavourful, and the sausage stuffing was great.

I must admit, Mardi and I were both suffering a cold when these were made – so *shockingly* there was no wine pairing. (A sure sign Mr. Neil is sick!) However, there WAS a Steen from South Africa that I had originally pulled to pair with this…will have to try again next time. ;-)