Tuesdays with Dorie: Oasis Naan (with a side of mushrooms!)

This week’s Tuesdays with Dorie – Baking with Julia recipe – Oasis Naan (p 149) was hosted by Maggie of Always Add More Butter  and Phyl from Of Cabbages & King Cakes (you can find the recipe on their blogs).  I was happy to discover this is a fairly easy recipe for naan because it’s one of those things I always feel slightly guilty buying. It’s also incredibly versatile – I mean, you can just enjoy it as is, warm with a curry, but I love using naan for pizza bases too (split in half) for something a little different. Naan toast is also a favourite for a different breakfast!

It just so happened that I was planning on making a curry the weekend I had these on my list to make so it was a perfect match.  The naan were really very easy – I halved the recipe to make 4 small-ish naan and my only real issue was fitting them on the pizza stone – I had to do 2 at a time.

It’s funny – the first naan I baked looked a little pale -

They also felt a little “heavy” so figured I needed to cook the second lot a little more.  I baked the second 2 an extra minute to achieve the golden colour which I prefer. As it turns out, the first two (yeah, the ones I baked following the instructions!) were perfect on the inside – fluffy and light – whilst the second batch, even though they were prettier in my opinion, were a little “stodgier” on the day I baked them. The next day, they toasted up nicely though…

Would I make these again? I surely would!  I just wish I had a bigger pizza stone to bake them on!  Loved the extra flavour from the caraway seeds, green onion and salt.

What did I serve them with? A light mushroom-cashew curry that I developed for Mushrooms Canada.

Want the recipe? Head on over to Mushrooms Canada right now. With tons of flavour from an easy to make from-scratch curry paste, this was the perfect summer curry.

Tuesdays with Dorie participants do not publish the recipes on our blogs except if we happen to be the host for the week, rather, we prefer if you purchase Baking with Julia for yourselves which you can do here on Amazon or Amazon Canada. Or for free worldwide shipping, buy from The Book Depository. Go on, you know you want to. It’s a beautiful book.

, , , , ,

37 Responses to Tuesdays with Dorie: Oasis Naan (with a side of mushrooms!)

1. Jenn Ragland June 5, 2012 at 06:52 #

Your naan looks beautiful – my first batch seemed a bit heavy too – managed to lighten up my second with extra docking!

2. Belinda @zomppa June 5, 2012 at 07:11 #

I agree – they make such perfect pizza bases! This is one satisfying meal.

3. Carol Sacks June 5, 2012 at 08:23 #

Mardi, everything sounds so marvelous; love the idea of a mushroom curry. Beautiful photos make the post.

4. Viviane Bauquet Farre June 5, 2012 at 08:28 #

You’ve created a very authentic treat here. Homemade naan is a delight to eat with curry or any sauce oriented dish. Soft, fresh, and fragrant!

5. Andi June 5, 2012 at 10:31 #

That combo sounds divine! Looks beautiful too. Love the idea of cashews and mushrooms together!

6. Cher June 5, 2012 at 10:53 #

Lovely – I really like them with the mushroom curry. Looks SO good.

7. Kiri W. June 5, 2012 at 11:44 #

Oh wow – I have tried Naan at home so many times, and I could never make it rise right because of heat issues. This looks perfect! :)

8. amy June 5, 2012 at 15:45 #

beautiful naan, and I’m going to check out that recipe. Mushroom curry sounds so good. We served ours with a chickpea curry that was also very good.
    so many of us made indian food to accompany it!

9. Paula June 5, 2012 at 17:04 #

I love Naan but have never tried to make my own. I make home-made bread all the time and I think I’m ready to give this a go.

10. jane June 5, 2012 at 21:38 #

The naan looks great and the curry looks delicious.

11. The Mistress of Spices June 6, 2012 at 10:39 #

These look gorgeous! I was in India last week, eating naan to my heart’s content. I’ll be missing it soon enough here and so should try my hand at this!

12. Ckay June 6, 2012 at 17:04 #

Look at your meal: d e l i c i o u s !!!
    This bread dough is a winner in my family.

13. Cynthia L. June 6, 2012 at 17:28 #

Your naan looks wonderful! I am off to look at the mushroom recipe! Sounds yummy and my veggie daughter would love it!

14. Jen @ My Kitchen Addiction June 6, 2012 at 20:53 #

The naan look absolutely beautiful! I might have to make some next week… :)

15. Jo@jocooks.com June 6, 2012 at 22:41 #

My main reason for going to Indian restaurants is the naan, then the food. I love naan and yours looks amazing. :)

16. Alice June 7, 2012 at 14:08 #

Stunning. as always! : ) Your curry looks fab! and mushroom-y! :)

17. marilyn June 7, 2012 at 23:39 #

I completely agree with you, color is flavor for breads. interesting that achieving it made the bread “stodgy”

18. Lisa June 13, 2012 at 16:57 #

I loved when you published this. I am finally going to make it tonight! Thanks.

Trackbacks/Pingbacks

1. Friday Food Foto – The Madd Phoenix - June 8, 2012

[...] From Eat Live Travel Write: Oasis naan with a side of mushrooms [...]

2. Friday Food Foto - The Madd Phoenix - Misadventures with Andi - March 19, 2013

[...] From Eat Live Travel Write: Oasis naan with a side of mushrooms [...]