French Fridays with Dorie: Spiced squash, fennel, and pear soup

This week’s French Fridays with Dorie recipe is yet another example of why I love Dorie Greenspan’s Around my French Table.

It’s a a wonderfully complex soup in flavour yet one that is so easy to make. It fills the house with the wonderful fall aromas of roasted squash, fennel and spices – ginger, cumin and nutmeg.  It takes just under an hour from start to finish (I used pre-diced cubes of squash so they hardly took any time to roast) and is a wonderful combination of sweet (from the pears and the orange peel – though I used zest as well as the fragrant sweetness of fennel) and savoury, from the squash.

A bowl of goodness on a cool autumn day.  Another dish I’ll be adding to my cool weather repertoire – thanks Dorie!

Want to join French Fridays with Dorie? Join here.

French Fridays with Dorie participants do not publish the recipes on our blogs, rather, we prefer if you purchase Around My French Table for yourselves (trust me, you definitely want this book!) which you can do here on Amazon or Amazon Canada. Or for free worldwide shipping, buy from The Book Depository.

, , , , , , , ,

33 Responses to French Fridays with Dorie: Spiced squash, fennel, and pear soup

1. Cher November 11, 2011 at 06:15 #

This was delightfully simple, wasn’t it?
    And apparently, I have not reached my squash tolerance yet, because I was still fairly excited about this one :-)
    Have a great weekend.

2. Kiri W. November 11, 2011 at 08:39 #

I love fennel, but never had it with pear – I am intrigued! :)

3. Maya November 11, 2011 at 09:32 #

The orange color of your soup really stood out against the blue bowl and accessories. At best, I can only describe mine as being murky beige…but it did taste rather lovely though!

4. Elaine November 11, 2011 at 11:54 #

What a great idea to use pre-cut squash for the soup. I made this after work and didn’t realize it would take so long because of peeling, cutting, and roasting the squash. I also loved the aroma of the soup while it was simmering. Your soup looks wonderful and your presentation is so pretty.

• Mardi@eatlivetravelwrite November 14, 2011 at 16:41 #

Yes I have made that mistake before and ended up eating dinner at 10pm !! Live and learn!

5. Tricia S. November 11, 2011 at 12:16 #

Great job ! Funny how even if a recipe falls flat on a FFWD- my family is now convinced that it is due to THEIR tastebuds since they trust Dorie so much :) She has knocked it out of the park one time to many for us to doubt. While this will not be a repeat as is for our tastebuds….Nana and I are excited to use the simple technique to make some different soups. The texture was fabulous ~

6. Rose November 11, 2011 at 12:16 #

I did not have pre-cut squash, but I did peel and chop mine up into cubes before roasting it in order to shorten the time. Whether or not this shortened the overall process or not, I have no idea. But the soup was awfully tasty in the end and that’s what matters.

7. Dessert By Candy November 11, 2011 at 14:00 #

Oooo the fennel frond looks so delicate! Agree that this soup is quick to make. I got mine done and photographed before work!

8. Sarah, Maison Cupcake November 11, 2011 at 15:13 #

I’d never have put these together but it sounds marvellous. I do get a bit lazy with my squash sometimes buying cubes in bags when I can’t face cutting it up but it’s five times the price here.

9. Cucina49 November 11, 2011 at 16:54 #

This looks great–and you can see that it has a fabulous silky texture.

10. Paula November 11, 2011 at 17:39 #

Beautiful photograph of a wonderful sounding soup. Great idea to pre-cube the squash before roasting Mardi.

• Mardi@eatlivetravelwrite November 14, 2011 at 16:40 #

Yes it really cuts down the time it takes to make and means you can do this one after work!

11. Liz November 11, 2011 at 21:06 #

I was actually quite happy when Bill wasn’t all that impressed…I happily ate the leftovers for the next 3 days! Yours is so pretty~

12. The Newlywed Chefs November 11, 2011 at 22:15 #

Mmmm soup is hard to photograph! Nice job!

13. Steph I November 12, 2011 at 12:05 #

A definite winner and yours looks great in those beautiful blue bowls. Lovely!

14. Helene November 12, 2011 at 18:07 #

I love fennel and it turns boring dishes into tasty dishes. I just got this cookbook and should start cooking from it.

15. penny aka jeroxie November 13, 2011 at 05:33 #

this is actually one of my go to comfort soup… :)

16. 50+ and on the Run November 13, 2011 at 21:31 #

Oh, this sounds wonderful! Thank you.

17. Jen @ My Kitchen Addiction November 15, 2011 at 22:18 #

Beautiful soup… The flavors sound amazing!