French Fridays with Dorie: Leek and potato soup

I couldn’t have been happier to see Dorie’s leek and potato soup (smooth or chunky, hot or cold) included in this month’s lineup for French Fridays with Dorie. In this season of plenty, it’s sometimes nice to enjoy a simple soup for dinner and this one really hits the spot.  Featured on pages 66-67, this recipe includes three different “bonnes idées” (interpretations of the recipe) and a lovely writeup on croutons.

Dorie calls for only one potato and 7 cups of liquid (3 of milk and 4 of stock) but I only used four cups of chicken stock since this seemed like enough water to vegetable ratio. I also used red skinned potatoes since that is what I had on hand and I love the colourful specks it makes in the finished soup. I finished some of the individual bowls with a swirl of cream and some with croutons made with leftover baguette sautéed in a little olive oil.

In short? The perfect bowl of comfort.  Have some bubbling away as you do your Christmas baking and you will be so pleased you did. Nothing like sitting down to a beautiful bowl of healthy soup after a long day baking or shopping in this season of madness!

Want to join in the fun? Join French Fridays with Dorie here and follow along on Twitter.

A few people have asked for recipes from my French Fridays with Dorie entries.  The group does not publish the recipes on our blogs, rather, we would prefer it if you would purchase the book yourselves (trust me, you definitely want this book!) which you can do here on Amazon (great price right now) or here on Amazon Canada (it’s also on special!).

41 Responses to French Fridays with Dorie: Leek and potato soup

1. Belinda @zomppa December 10, 2010 at 07:44 #

Looks so perfectly smooth and comforting! THanks for the ratios on potato-water!

2. Audrey December 10, 2010 at 10:04 #

I loved this too! The idea of using the red-skinned potatoes is great because although my soup was delicious it did look a little like wallpaper paste! :)

3. Trevor Sis Boom December 10, 2010 at 10:49 #

Looks just fantastic. I made this and wished I had changed up the milk part too.

• Mardi@eatlivetravelwrite December 13, 2010 at 20:17 #

I normally follow recipes fairly closely when they are ones I have not tried before but this looked like too much liquid. Glad I did!

4. Lindsey @ Gingerbread Bagels December 10, 2010 at 11:46 #

The photos of your soup are gorgeous!! Not to mention it look so delicious. I can’t wait to make this soup. I love how you used red skinned potatoes and topped the soup off with croutons. :)

5. Roxan December 10, 2010 at 11:59 #

This soup looks amazing – i can tell it has the most luxurious texture. The addition of the crouton on top is a great touch, I bet it tastes to yummy after it has soaked up some of that soup! I’d probably pour a bunch of croutons in my soup ;]

6. Alicia December 10, 2010 at 13:00 #

Thanks for sharing some of the soup with me – it was very yummy and an excellent warm comfort meal for a winter’s day.

7. Sandy December 10, 2010 at 16:03 #

I can’t wait to try this soup and I like your addition of the red potatos-very nice touch. It looks delicious enough and in that beautiful blue bowl..I’m ready to join you at your table !

8. Amanda December 10, 2010 at 16:33 #

Looks fantastic!!

9. Karen December 10, 2010 at 18:10 #

This looks perfect! Glad it turned out so well!

10. Nisrine | Dinners & Dreams December 10, 2010 at 18:21 #

Mardi, your soup is beautiful and must be delciosu I’m sure jusdging from the ingredients (I love both potatoes and leeks.)
    I would go for it warm :)

11. stephIrey December 10, 2010 at 18:43 #

Love how smooth and beautiful your soup is. I left mine chunky and added bacon…it was quite yummy!

12. Rhonda December 10, 2010 at 22:54 #

Leek and potato soup is one of my favorites~!

13. jayne December 11, 2010 at 06:49 #

Beautiful pictures! I love leek and potato soup, but I haven’t used the red-skinned potatoes before – very pretty!

14. Lora @cakeduchess December 11, 2010 at 21:56 #

Mardi-this soup looks comforting and delicious! I can’t wait to try this recipe. The crouton looks so tempting! I would love a bowl now and loaf of French bread;)

• Mardi@eatlivetravelwrite December 13, 2010 at 20:11 #

Yes I often forget to make my own croutons but when I do, I am so pleased – so simple and tasty!

15. Tunde December 11, 2010 at 22:54 #

This looks yummy Mardi. Might make a a pitstop at B&N tomorrow and make potful for the coming week. We’l see how it all turns out in the morning :D.

16. Conor @ Hold the Beef December 12, 2010 at 08:36 #

Not so handy for us at this time of year, but I imagine a good pot of soup would be very handy in colder climates at this time of year – bung the leftovers in containers in the freezer and you’ve got a quick and warming meal during the madness of the festive period.

17. cat December 12, 2010 at 08:47 #

mmm . . . one of my favorite cold-weather soups!

18. penny aka jeroxie December 12, 2010 at 20:49 #

Nom… I love this soup especially in winter… might have to get my act together for next year and join in!

19. Cher December 12, 2010 at 22:41 #

Like the change-ups – especially the red potato. The croutons sound like they would have been a nice touch.

20. Good Bite In December 13, 2010 at 14:38 #

I’ve been on holiday and so had a little bit of a break from French Fridays but coming back and seeing this makes me so look forward to getting back into it again … your crouton looks so crispy and yum!

21. Jen @ My Kitchen Addiction December 13, 2010 at 22:43 #

I’ve been craving potato soup for a while… Now, after seeing this, I absolutely must make some this week! I even have leeks in the fridge just waiting to be used. :)

22. Bonita December 14, 2010 at 12:37 #

Gorgeous Mardi! Can’t wait to try this recipe myself!