French Fridays: Sardine spread from My Paris Kitchen

David Lebovitz sardine spread on eatlivetravelwrite.comThis week’s Cook the Book Fridays recipe from David Lebovitz’ My Paris Kitchen was one I hadn’t been looking forward to to be quite honest… “sardine spread” doesn’t sound particularly appetising for a non-fish lover (I think sardines must be like the fishiest of all fishes!) but as I’m working my way through the book, I’m not going to skip out on a recipe just because I don’t like one ingredient. I mean, I’ve made so many fish dishes for French Fridays with Dorie already – including rillettes. Most commonly a dish made from pork where the meat is chopped up or cubed, then cooked until tender and mixed with a little bit of some sort of fat so it becomes a spread, rillettes is something I do like – in the pork version. A fishy version – not so much.

Back in 2012, we were supposed to make sardine rillettes but I messed up and accidentally made smoked salmon rillettes instead (you’ll have to read the post to see how I managed to do that!).  I also made tuna rillettes and another version of the salmon rillettes so I feel like I’ve done my fishy due diligence in the rillette department. And my neighbours and Neil have enjoyed the fruits of my labour!

This time, I dutifully made this dish – cream cheese, butter, sardines (canned so there’s no need to de-bone or cook, though our tin had tiny bones and  – ahem – I made Neil deal with them!), onions and some spices – photographed it and planned to give it to Neil for lunch that day (I made a tiny portion). He ended up being out and then wasn’t home for any meal after that and promptly went to Winnipeg for a conference. What to do? Offer it to our neighbour who happened to be cat sitting for me last weekend for a night. He is one of my main taste testers so i knew he would be up for it (and I left him 2 crème caramels that I am testing for my book as well!). He took all the offerings happily although since then I haven’t heard either way whether he liked it or not. I can tell you I tasted it and it tasted, well, fishy. Just like it’s supposed to taste! So this goes down as “Check – Another recipe down!” Because you can’t like everything, right? For those people who love sardines but not the fuss of de-boning them (though our can had tiny bones) or cooking them, this is a good option and a nice addition to an hors d’oeuvre selection.

Get the recipe for David Lebovitz’ sardine spread here on p 78 of My Paris Kitchen.

MyParisKitchenDavidLebovitz

Purchase My Paris Kitchen for yourselves on Amazon (this link should bring you to the Amazon store closest to you) Or for free worldwide shipping, buy from The Book Depository then join us over on Cook the Book Fridays!

Please note: The product links from Amazon and The Book Depository are affiliate links, meaning if you click over and purchase something, I will receive a very small percentage of the purchase price which goes towards maintaining eat. live. travel. write. Thank you in advance!

Disclosure: I was provided with a copy of “My Paris Kitchen” for review purposes. I was not asked to write about the book, nor am I being compensated for doing do. All opinions 100% my own.

, , , , , , ,

18 Responses to French Fridays: Sardine spread from My Paris Kitchen

1. EmilyC September 30, 2016 at 07:19 #

Normally, we eat every part of the canned sardines ie bones and all! But I dutifully removed the brittle bones but used the chili oil my canned sardines came in. Boleh-lah (can lah) for quick and light dinner for me! Sorry that this was not your cup of tea, but your sardine spread looks great!

2. Joyce, Kitchen Flavours September 30, 2016 at 09:58 #

Sorry to hear that you did not like the Sardine Spread. We loved it, and enjoyed it made into sandwiches. But not everyone like sardine, that I do agree!

3. mary hirsch September 30, 2016 at 18:32 #

I never made Dorie’s sardine rillettes so I was determined to make David’s spread. I served it with drinks to two girlfriends and they dove in and polished off the entire ‘two tins of sardines’.They also gave me a lecture about how healthy and nutritious sardines are for us. I eventually piled some spread on one cracker. Not bad.

• Mardi Michels September 30, 2016 at 20:08 #

Haha! We are kindred spirits for sure I KNOW they are good for you but I really can’t bring myself to eat them!

4. Natascha October 1, 2016 at 04:06 #

Sorry you didn´t like this but it certainly looks wonderful!

• Mardi Michels October 1, 2016 at 09:01 #

Well I wasn’t expecting to, don’t like sardines, even in cream cheese and butter!

5. Nana October 1, 2016 at 09:52 #

I always have tins of boneless, skinless sardines in the house because Jim loves his sardines.
    However, he likes this even better than plain so I better keep some cream cheese around too.
    I liked the rillettes when we made them for Dorie, David’s are a bit different but equally delicious.
    (Only if you like sardines)

• Mardi Michels October 2, 2016 at 09:21 #

This is a good thing to keep in the back of my mind when company comes, for sure!

6. Katie October 1, 2016 at 09:59 #

Haha, I knew from FFWD you weren’t looking forward to this one. That’s pretty funny overall and who would complain about getting sardine rillettes when it’s accompanied by crème caramel?!? I actually found mine to be too fishy, which isn’t typical for me with the brand of sardines I like, so there’s that. I preferred Dorie’s recipe in general, though this was good too.

• Mardi Michels October 2, 2016 at 09:20 #

Right – I mean, who wouldn’t want a sardine spread washed down with a crème caramel!?

7. Teresa October 1, 2016 at 21:22 #

I’m glad you have some willing taste-testers to help you when fish comes up in the rotation. I’ve enjoyed all the fish rillettes I’ve made, but I’d be just as happy to have some pork rillettes.

• Mardi Michels October 2, 2016 at 09:20 #

Yes I’d be really happy to make pork rillettes again too!

8. Shirley @ Flourishen Test Kitchen October 2, 2016 at 16:17 #

Your effort in making the sardine spread just to complete the task and the project, whether you like eating it or not, is exemplary. You get a gold star!

• Mardi Michels October 2, 2016 at 18:26 #

Well I did that through the fish chapter in Around My French Table as well!

9. Betsy Pollack October 3, 2016 at 21:17 #

I knew you weren’t going to like this one, but Cleo would have. Did you give her a taste too? I love fish, so I give it thumbs up.

• Mardi Michels October 3, 2016 at 22:00 #

Cleo wasn’t around at any point of the making of this but she DOES love sardines!

10. lisa brown October 9, 2016 at 04:09 #

I was afraid that it would be too fishy, which is why I would not try it and I knew no one in the house would try it, good for you for attempting it. I look forward to hearing what your neighbor says about it, next you see him.

• Mardi Michels October 10, 2016 at 08:41 #

Well not liking a dish didn’t stop me during Around my French Table 😉 I always find colleagues or neighbours to help out there!