French Fridays with Dorie: Recipe Swap Onion “Carbonara”

Around my French Table onion carbonara on eatlivetravelwrite.comThis week’s French Fridays with Dorie recipe is sheer brilliance. This onion carbonara (p 153) made with steamed onions instead of pasta is as delicious as it is unusual and reminded me a lot of Alsatian tarte flambée minus the pastry base.  I whipped this up in just under 30 minutes one Saturday for a quick lunch and both Neil and I were pretty impressed. At first glance, it really does look like regular spaghetti carbonara and certainly the cream, bacon and egg are there but it’s a much lighter dish, obviously.  Patricia Wells served this to Dorie with a Christmas goose – I’d think a steak would be a marvellous accompaniment or, if you were eating this on its own, I might even add some greens – arugula wilted into the sauce.

Dorie Greenspan onion carbonara on eatlivetravelwrite.comIt’s a short post from me today because it’s the last week of school and I am pretty much out of witty prose. Also as you read this I will just have winged my way home to Sydney for the holidays so if I didn’t have any witty prose before that, I certainly don’t now after 22 hours in the air and dealing with a 16 hour time difference ;)

Wishing all the Doristas a wonderful holiday season – Happy Christmas if you celebrate – and I’ll be back next week with my very first ever French Friday made “down under” :) (I’ve just had to explain to mum the whole “minifying” of the recipes that I often practice for FFWD – that you know we don’t have to make the Gravalax for eight people, we can just make enough for her and dad…)

French Fridays with Dorie participants do not publish the recipes on our blogs (though this week, you can find the recipe online here), we prefer if you purchase Around My French Table for yourselves which you can do here on Amazon or Amazon Canada. Or for free worldwide shipping, buy from The Book Depository. Go on, treat yourself then join us here!

, , , , , ,

18 Responses to French Fridays with Dorie: Recipe Swap Onion “Carbonara”

1. Mr. Neil December 20, 2013 at 08:44 #

First things first – FFWD gravlax time is being Down Under – and I’m missing??? Grrr.

I loved this dish. Watching it in prep and reading in advance I was somewhat dubious; but it worked perfectly. Mardi’s spot on re tarte flambee…of course that nice white cream sauce. And bacon.

I’m not sure I’d pair with a steak, myself. Definitely a bird, or perhaps some Dover sole or similar whitefish.

And to pair? Well of course, a nice Alsatian wine. We went with a dry rose in the glasses we brought back…though a Pinot Gris would suit as well. Something with a tad more acid to help with the rich cream. (Stay away from most Chardonnay.)

2. Rose December 20, 2013 at 11:47 #

I didn’t even think of that, but you’re right, it is a lot like a Tarte Flambee. Delicious with a duck breast if you ever want to do it as a side.

Have fun introducing your parents to FFwD. Hope they like fish:-)

• Teresa December 24, 2013 at 02:38 #

That sounds like the perfect paring, Rose!

3. Cher December 20, 2013 at 12:03 #

You warned me this would be good and I took that warning all the way to the bank :-)

I paired this with a pork chop for Mr. Joe and he absolutely scarfed it up.

Hope you have a wonderful time “down under” & enjoy the lovely weather. You had me jonesing for some of those snacks that you were i-gramming from the grocer.

4. Nana December 20, 2013 at 12:58 #

That photo makes my mouth water, it is so delicious looking. Enjoy your holiday and safe travels.
    Wishing you both a Merry Christmas.

5. Liz December 20, 2013 at 13:44 #

Beautiful, Mardi! Wow, I think everyone loved this one :) Have a wonderful Christmas and enjoy your time down under!!! xo

6. yummychunklet December 20, 2013 at 16:34 #

Yours looks so delicious!

7. Cakelaw December 20, 2013 at 17:17 #

I liked this one too. Have a fab time in Sydney Mardi – enjoy the warmth and sunshine! Merry Christmas.

8. K A B L O O E Y December 20, 2013 at 18:13 #

The picture and description are absolutely killing me, because I’m on a stupid 3 day juice fast and the dish looks mouth-watering. Hope your trip was a smooth one and Happy Holiday/vacation/New Year to you and yours. Weird expression that…

9. Diane Balch December 20, 2013 at 21:22 #

Wow, you made it for a lunch, very Italian of you. I really enjoyed it too and my kids had a hard time admitting it but they enjoyed it. Sydney for Christmas sounds fantastic… enjoy.

10. Tricia S. December 22, 2013 at 15:54 #

So glad you both enjoyed it.Yes, it was a surprise hit -no, even though most of us had something close to relate to (your Alsatian tarte, or the pasta version) I think most of us we surprised by what this actually did taste like. Enjoy your time Down Under- I am getting sleepy just thinking about the haul in the plane that you will be making. All worth it to see the folks over the holidays :)

11. Guyla December 22, 2013 at 21:30 #

Mardi I hope your trip went well! I enjoyed this one too. Happy holidays to you and yours!

12. Margaret December 22, 2013 at 21:33 #

Definitely different. I used mine as a sauce with the pasta. Better the next day.

13. EmilyC December 23, 2013 at 12:11 #

That first picture is super FAB!

14. betsy December 23, 2013 at 21:49 #

Now you’ve got me wanting to make tarte flambe! Hope you’ve adjusted to the jet lag and are enjoying your trip to the other side of the world. Happy Christmas to you, Mardi.

15. Teresa December 24, 2013 at 02:40 #

This was a wonderful dish – we ate it as a main course and were quite happy with it. I hope you have a wonderful holiday!

16. jora December 26, 2013 at 11:45 #

I really like the idea of adding wilted arugula to this. It was definitely a great concept. Happy holidays!

17. Candy (Dulce) December 29, 2013 at 13:47 #

I thought this was yummy too! Hope you are enjoying your time on the far side of the world. Love it there! Happy you enjoyed this one!!