French Fridays with Dorie: Hummus

It’s been a long week, recovering from root canal surgery at the end of last week, getting back to work and then having more dental work (the filling before the crown next month) last night. So I was pleased for a short, easy (and soft!) French Fridays with Dorie recipe (Hummus, p 19) this week.

There’s not much to say either – this is a very simple version of what Dorie tells us now includes “a dizzying number of varieties” and it reminded me of how good the plain version can be.

Chick peas, lemon juice, garlic and tahini blended to the texture of your liking with a pinch of cumin – so simple.

I drizzled this with a bit of olive oil before I served it and it was spectacular. Simple clean flavours (and did I mention soft – perfect for sore mouths!).  I *should* make the effort to make this much more often.

French Fridays with Dorie participants do not publish the recipes on our blogs (though this week you can find the recipe online here), rather, we prefer if you purchase Around My French Table for yourselves (trust me, you definitely want this book!) which you can do here on Amazon or Amazon Canada. Or for free worldwide shipping, buy from The Book Depository. Go on, treat yourself – join us! Honestly, the recipes that I didn’t like I can count on one hand. Really!

Dine with a Blogger #tasteMTL

* Want to win a trip for two to Montreal to dine with ME during restaurant week in November? It’s easy – enter the Dine with a Blogger contest here! (US/Canadians only, sorry international friends!)

, , , , , , , , ,

42 Responses to French Fridays with Dorie: Hummus

1. Rose October 5, 2012 at 06:20 #

Oh, hope you are feeling better soon. I remember having my wisdom teeth out and how I survived on jello for pretty much a week. Yuck, I haven’t been able to look at jello since. Happy to see that you were able to find something nice and soft to enjoy, I really liked this recipe and was somehow shocked to find out how easy it was.

2. Paula @ Vintage Kitchen October 5, 2012 at 06:32 #

Isn´t traditional hummus amazing? I love it too. And the way it contrasts the blue in the bowl! Have a great weekend Mardi!

3. Liz October 5, 2012 at 06:48 #

Ugh…sorry to hear about the dental procedure. But glad this yummy hummus came at such an opportune time :)

4. idiosyncratic eye October 5, 2012 at 07:37 #

Sorry to hear about the dental work, you have my complete sympathy! Houmous is such great stuff, it also works brilliantly on top of burgers too, it’s one of my favourites that’s for sure. :)

5. Helene Dsouza I Masala Herb October 5, 2012 at 07:58 #

Dental work is always horrible, I feel with you! Good that hummus came your way. I like mine with isreali schnitzel. In goa it got famous because of the israelis, so they always serve it with schnitzel. ^.^

All the best!

6. Cher October 5, 2012 at 08:00 #

Ah, Mardi – I hope you have been able to move on to more solid foods by now. :-(
    You certainly figured out how to make the hummus pretty – I am impressed.

7. Maya@Foodiva's Kitchen October 5, 2012 at 08:18 #

I don’t think I’d even be able to muster this up after such a painful procedure so I greatly admire that you did it, Mardi. Your photos and styling look beautiful, as always. Take care and heal well!

8. Ann Mah October 5, 2012 at 09:40 #

How fortuitous to have a soft recipe this week! This looks delicious and I love that Dorie includes such a wide range of global dishes in her French cookbook — a wonderful way to illustrate the country’s diversity and rich history.

9. Whitney @ The Newlywed Chefs October 5, 2012 at 14:35 #

Hummus is just the best, isn’t it? Works great as a dip, on a sandwich, and more. Yum!

10. Monet October 5, 2012 at 18:30 #

I hope you start to feel better soon! I had a root canal a few years ago, and I remember how much it hurt. We love hummus here. What a satisfying recipe! Thank you for sharing…and whetting my appetite for dinner. I hope you have a wonderful weekend!

11. Betsy October 5, 2012 at 20:52 #

Sounds like the perfect recipe for you this week! How fortuitous! Hope you heal from your dental work soon. At least you have something good to eat in the meantime!

12. Margaret October 5, 2012 at 21:46 #

Dental work is the WORST!!! Hope the hummus makes it feel better. It was good ‘plain’ wasn’t it.

13. sanya October 6, 2012 at 05:32 #

Looks simply perfect!

14. Alice October 6, 2012 at 09:07 #

are you thinking you will do the same version each time you make it or do you have some variations in mind already? :) Great job! I hope you are back to your normal diet with all that dental work now!

15. Maria October 6, 2012 at 10:43 #

Perfect presentation, as always, Isn’t hummus just the best dip ever? I love that it is so easy to make!!!

16. Teresa October 6, 2012 at 16:42 #

I hope your mouth is feeling better soon. I’m glad the group had an easy-to-swallow recipe for you this week!

17. Nana October 6, 2012 at 20:34 #

Perfect and delicious. I have truly enjoyed this, and since I just roasted red peppers, I
    plan to enjoy a sandwich of both tomorrow. Hope you are feeling better.

18. Tricia S. October 7, 2012 at 08:33 #

I am a total baby about the dentist so I really feel for you. Am glad you at least had an easy (and soft) recipe from FFWD this week. Yours looks stunning and next time I am definitely drizzling that oil on top……….

19. Denise October 7, 2012 at 11:58 #

I hate dental work … hate! I feel for you and hope you start feeling better! I love making hummus and usually have a tub of it in the refrigerator. Great for snacks or a light lunch. I like spreading it on lavash and topping with avocado.

20. Mary Hirsch October 8, 2012 at 08:58 #

Was our recipe choice this week especially for you? Maybe. And, yours looked delicious. I, of course, did the lima bean dip to honor my South American trip (you’ll get more about my trip, trust me) but I plan to make the hummus and all its variations, alot this Winter. Good job and I am glad this was something you could eat. I hope you are on the mend but it appears this will be a procedure over time. Of all the doctors I go to, it’s the dentist (and, aren’t we glad we have them?) that I dread the most. I would like to meet just one dentist who does not have a hand and a drill in my mouth when he asks me a question that needs an answer. I think they take a special course on that at denistry school.

21. Julia | JuliasAlbum.com October 8, 2012 at 17:14 #

Simple is always the best. Your hummus looks delicious!