Kitchen Play with Canadian Beef

When Casey contacted me late last year about developing a recipe using Canadian Beef for Kitchen Play, I didn’t hesitate to say yes.  I am so happy to be showcasing a local product but even more happy that it’s an ingredient you can buy all over the world so the recipe won’t be country-specific.  When I was assigned the Amuse Bouche course, I was quite excited. I love small bites of a lot of dishes and, given the choice, I would choose many different “amuses” or appetisers over one large dish.

The inspiration for this dish comes from my time living in Paris.  As a poor student, then teacher, I didn’t eat out all that often but when I did, I made sure to order beef. Living on my own in a tiny apartment with no proper kitchen, it was not something I cooked for myself so I treated myself in restaurants every now and then.  My favourite dish of all time – and one I will still order whenever I see it on the menu – is Bavette à l’échalote – a flank steak served with a shallot/ red wine sauce which I always order with frites and a side order of haricots verts.  Had I been given the main course for Kitchen Play, I would have made exactly that but the “amuse” allowed me to showcase this fabulous dish too – in one bite.  I did not use flank steak for this recipe; I used a grilling medallion since it cuts cleaner for a more precise presentation.

It’s a simple enough dish in its original form with three main ingredients…

In this amuse bouche form, it’s a little more prep but all the steps are simple – no fancy techniques or equipment required :-)

This is a flavourful little bite that showcases the rich flavours of the dish from which it is inspired perfectly. The best part of this? It’s tiny so you have room for more!  Bon appétit!

Want to try this or other Canadian Beef recipes out for yourself?   Canadian Beef is sponsoring a wonderful giveaway at Kitchen Play. Simply recreate any one recipe from this month’s Progressive Party, post about the experience on your blog and provide a link to your post on Kitchen Play to enter.  All qualifying bloggers in each course will be entered to win $100 (6 prizes total).  This contest is open through February 28, 2011. Please review the complete contest rules before entering. Good luck!

If you are a blogger and are interested in participating in the Progressive Party series, visit Kitchen Play today.

76 Responses to Kitchen Play with Canadian Beef

1. Blog is the New Black February 1, 2011 at 06:03 #

This looks so wonderful and tasty!

2. Jason Phelps February 1, 2011 at 06:21 #

One bite of magic! There is a great French Canadian steak & frites restaurant on Peel St in Montreal. My wife’s uncle is a priest living in the city and he often asks ig we can go there for dinner when we visit. Can’t beat a good thing!

Jason

3. Belinda @zomppa February 1, 2011 at 08:00 #

Gorgeous dish – start with the right ingredients and you’re off to the right direction.

4. Jen H February 1, 2011 at 08:09 #

Perfect first dish for the first All-Canadian event! I am so adding this to my list of things to try!

5. Lael Hazan @educatedpalate February 1, 2011 at 08:56 #

What a great idea! It is certainly a refreshing change from the usual amuse bouche. Actually, I too like to order a lot of starters rather than one big heavy dish. This would be perfect, flavorful, and yet not too filling.

6. Neil @ Communal Table February 1, 2011 at 09:19 #

This looks great – definitely going on my ‘must try’ list!

I’m glad we got the chance to share space on Kitchen Play’s All-Canadian menu with you. What a great experience!

7. Isabelle February 1, 2011 at 09:22 #

What a great twist on a classic, Mardi! Bavette a l’echalote is one of my favourites too.. it’s like steak frites, but only better. (Unfortunately, I’ve never been lucky enough to eat it in Paris… but hopefully someday).
    I’ll have remember these next time I’m planning a fancy little cocktail party. They look fabulous.

8. Fresh and Foodie February 1, 2011 at 10:06 #

Yum! Looks delicious. I love the jam idea.

• Mardi@eatlivetravelwrite February 4, 2011 at 18:48 #

Yes it was a result of trying to come up with something that would not drip as you held it. Sautéed shallots would have done that.

9. Heather Travis February 1, 2011 at 10:35 #

This looks so delish! I can’t wait to try this!! Thanks for taking part in the all Canadian Kitchen Play challenge!

10. Lawyer Loves Lunch February 1, 2011 at 10:39 #

These look great, Mardi! Although I must admit, the “bite” idea would be lost on me since I’m sure I could eat about ten of these :)

• Mardi@eatlivetravelwrite February 4, 2011 at 18:47 #

Well if you were at a party it would allow you to taste a bunch of different things which is what I love about apps!

11. Andrea K February 1, 2011 at 10:46 #

Mardi- these look delicious! Can I come over for dinner ? AK

12. Boulder Locavore February 1, 2011 at 10:50 #

Looks delicious and gorgeous (as always). I love the local support too. Always enjoy the writing and eye candy photos on your blog!

13. Joy February 1, 2011 at 11:34 #

I knew I would see you in the “menu”! Gorgeous, gorgeous dish, Mardi. I can almost taste it with the shallot jam wedged between the bite size beef and frite. I can’t wait to try it!

14. Rochelle (Acquired Taste) February 1, 2011 at 12:16 #

Lovely dish! The frite and small bit of steak together turns a classic main of baked potato/fries and steak into a bite sized version, and the addition of the shallot jam? Mmmm, I can almost taste it :D

15. Mr. Neil February 1, 2011 at 12:59 #

Yes, the shallot jam was a revelation!

16. Ethan February 1, 2011 at 14:05 #

The shallot jam looks great and as Mr. Neil attests to, it was wonderful. I’d likely eat all 16!

17. Chris @ The Peche February 1, 2011 at 14:28 #

Sigh. I need something like 20 of these. Right now. I just got done with lunch, and I’d happily devour these.

18. Jenny @ Savour the Senses February 1, 2011 at 14:35 #

This shallot jam sounds delicious! I think I will have to try it soon. =)

19. Joan Nova February 1, 2011 at 15:00 #

No, I could not eat just one. Great job (and great product to work with!)

20. Christina February 1, 2011 at 16:40 #

What a perfect looking bite! I can see why you were asked to create something! Well done! (not the beef of course!) ;)

• Mardi@eatlivetravelwrite February 4, 2011 at 18:45 #

Thanks – the great thing about this dish is that you can cook the little pieces to different degrees of “doneness” to please everyone!

21. Anna Johnston February 1, 2011 at 17:12 #

It really is about the right ingredients to bring about such a fabulous presentation like this, beautiful.

22. Choosy Beggar Tina February 1, 2011 at 18:38 #

What a fabulous idea for an amuse bouche! I love when entrees are presented in bite-sized format, and this looks divine.

23. Evan Thomas February 1, 2011 at 19:26 #

Great dish! That jam sounds like just the right amount of sweet and sour.

24. João P. February 1, 2011 at 20:50 #

I must congratulate you for your wonderful website and recipes. They are a big inspiration for a amateur cook like me and an oasis in colorless or sadder days. If someday you find the time and mood, I invite you to discover portuguese cuisine!

25. Liz February 1, 2011 at 21:06 #

Oh, boy, what an amazing appetizer!!!

26. Jenny @ Communal Table February 1, 2011 at 22:02 #

I think I’d like to eat that shallot jam on a spoon. Looks amazing. I’m making these for sure.

27. penny aka jeroxie February 2, 2011 at 01:06 #

great looking dish. i wonder how canadian beef stacks up against aussie beef ;)

28. Trix February 2, 2011 at 08:49 #

I totally agree with you – I would much rather have a bunch of yummy appys than a big main course. This looks beautiful – I have been wanting to check out the Kitchen Play thing, it looks fun!

29. Stephanie @ okie dokie artichokie February 2, 2011 at 08:51 #

Looks wonderful! I love little amuse bouches…the perfect bite!

30. RJ Flamingo February 2, 2011 at 09:21 #

I love every element of this dish, Mardi. I even felt moved to SU and bookmark! Gorgeous!

31. Angela@RecipesFromMyMom February 2, 2011 at 12:49 #

Meat and potatoes at their very best! Thanks for sharing this fabulous idea.

32. Jen @ My Kitchen Addiction February 2, 2011 at 15:00 #

What a fun dish! Darron would love it, since he is a meat and potatoes fan. :)

• Mardi@eatlivetravelwrite February 4, 2011 at 18:42 #

Well it would also work for those not so big on meat – it’s just a little bitty bite, after all!

33. Barton February 2, 2011 at 20:40 #

always looking for new canape ideas so sick of my go to standards

34. ping February 3, 2011 at 09:42 #

Such a beautiful mouthful! Congrats on top 9!

35. Celia February 3, 2011 at 10:17 #

These might be one bite…but I fail to see how anyone could stop at one!

36. Kate @ Diethood.com February 3, 2011 at 10:38 #

I’m all about the mini bites. I would love to eat those up – they look so yummy goooood.
    Congrats on top 9!

37. Lisa @ Tarte du Jour February 3, 2011 at 14:11 #

This can amuse my bouche anytime! What a beautful dish!

38. Geoff February 3, 2011 at 17:28 #

Mardi
    I’d be interested in Mr Neil’s assessment of this dish in terms of an accompanying wine. Does the shallot jam alter the equation much?

• Mr. Neil February 4, 2011 at 08:17 #

Good question, Geoff. And good thinking.

Yes, the shallot jam does alter the equation – it’s got a sweet note that leads me away from a traditional Bordeaux, which would be my first (classic) pick.

So I’d head to the New World. A nice Argentinian malbec (though challenging to find – most of the stuff being peddled these days are one-dimensional fruit bombs) is the first thing that comes to mind. I’d also be intrigued with a South African Syrah, which can have a touch of earthiness but also strong fruit. Napa Valley would work well here, as would an Aussie Shiraz. Lastly, if you’re keen on Old World I’d return to France for a Beaujolais Village. (Or Crozes-Hermitage, if you’re adding some pepper seasoning – as I am wont to do.)

Hope that helps!

39. Julie February 3, 2011 at 21:41 #

Looks like the perfect pairing! I can just imagine our house guests drooling over this dish! Thanks for sharing!

40. Geoff February 5, 2011 at 03:18 #

Thanks to Neil for the wine suggestions.

41. cat February 17, 2011 at 22:47 #

mmm, these look like the perfect bite!

Trackbacks/Pingbacks

1. Kitchen Play » Blog Archive » One Bite Steak with a Frite and Shallot Jam - February 1, 2011

[...] from eat. live. travel. write invokes delicious memories of life as a student in Paris with her One Bite Beef with a Frite and [...]

2. Kitchen Play with Canadian Beef » Your Recipe Database - February 1, 2011

[...] post: Kitchen Play with Canadian Beef Related Posts:February Kitchen Play Part 1: Seared Beef Carpaccio with Fennel … For more beef [...]

3. Canadian Beef Food Blogger Challenge « Beefinfo's Blog - February 1, 2011

[...] Progressive Party with six talented food bloggers assigned one of the following courses: cocktail, amuse bouche, salad, appetizer/soup, entrée (main course) and dessert – in Canadian Beef’s case, we made [...]

4. Tweets that mention Kitchen Play with Canadian Beef -- Topsy.com - February 3, 2011

[...] This post was mentioned on Twitter by Mardi, Mardi. Mardi said: Thanks! RT @broilkingbbq: High Concept Steak Appetizer. Tiny. Delicious. Adaptable. http://bit.ly/faomat [...]

5. February’s YBR Roundup - February 25, 2012

[...] buns Citra, Indonesian In Turkey, Say it With Black Forest Mardi, eat. live. travel. write, One bite steak with a frite and shallot jam Liz, That Skinny Chick Can Bake!!!, Individual Chocolate [...]