Mactweets November: Hot chocolate and marshmallow macarons

This month’s Mactweets is all about the flavours of fall.  For me, fall is actually autumn and doesn’t really include all the pumpkiny flavours of North America, even though I have been here 10 years now (though you will see I have made a valiant attempt to learn to love the pumpkin in my next Project Food Blog challenge, going up on Sunday – baking with pumpkin).

My birthday when I was growing up was in the autumn and I was always cross that it was “cold”. Well “cold” is a relative term since now I live in Canada, and have truly experienced the cold ;-)  One of my favourite things about the cooler climate I find myself in now is that feeling you get when you come inside from the cold to warm up.  You know, like after 30 minutes supervising lunch recess where you’re basically standing still and the boys are running around like crazies shouting “I’m not cold!” as you do. On days like that I love to come inside and warm up with a steaming hot chocolate and, if I am feeling really decadent, some mini marshmallows.  Which inspired dark chocolate macarons with marshmallow frosting. I used my standard recipe that you can find here with 25 g of cocoa added.

I made the macs on a whim, fully expecting them to not work because as we all know, they are so unpredictable.  However, weather and humidity were on my side this month and I did a little happy dance when I peeked in the oven to see FEET!

I found this marshmallow frosting on Smitten Kitchen and knew it would be perfect…

These were, according to Neil, “the best macarons in a long time” and I have to say I agree. The feet, the sheen, the taste and the texture were all spot on. Enfin!

Yes, I am thrilled to announce I have made it to Round 8 of Project Food Blog. I am one of 24 people left from an original 600 contestants.  Thank you all for reading and voting (and watching my video!) – my next post (getting creative with baked goods featuring pumpkin) will be up on Sunday.

, , , ,

89 Responses to Mactweets November: Hot chocolate and marshmallow macarons

1. Amy Bakes Everything November 25, 2010 at 06:10 #

I am so scared of macrons, I totally want to try these! Can’t wait to see your post for PFB!

2. Corinne @ Gourmantic November 25, 2010 at 07:02 #

“Oh my, what lovely feet you have!” That was the first thought that went through my mind when I saw the photo. That last macaron has my name on it… ;)

• Mardi@eatlivetravelwrite November 29, 2010 at 08:41 #

Hopefully one day you can taste my macs in person…

• linda December 5, 2011 at 19:40 #

where do I find the recipes for macaroons. I have the marshmellow filling but I need the macs

3. Jessica @ How Sweet November 25, 2010 at 07:53 #

Okay I think you have convinced me to take the plunge and try macarons with these flavors. They are gorgeous and sound delicious!

4. Belinda @zomppa November 25, 2010 at 07:54 #

Seriously? You’re going to tempt me with these this morning??

5. Lora November 25, 2010 at 08:15 #

These are so great. I love the flavors. They are making me crave a cup of hot cocoa with marshmallows for breakfast.

6. rebecca November 25, 2010 at 09:09 #

very impressive and wow marshmellow cool

7. Rhonda November 25, 2010 at 09:33 #

I have a confession to make. I’ve never tried a macaron in my life. I see them all over the foodie blogosphere and am dying to taste them. Nowhere in Montana can you get them. I am going to have to mail order them, make them or hope somebody gifts them. I feel like I’m missing out, especially when I see how perfectly yummy yours look.

8. Stephjumped November 25, 2010 at 09:40 #

These look fabulous and perfect!! I bet they taste great too.

9. Barbara Bakes November 25, 2010 at 09:51 #

Gorgeous! I would love this flavor too. Congrats on making it to the next round!

10. Stephanie November 25, 2010 at 10:09 #

He he…I know that ‘happy dance’ when I see the little feet starting! Thanks for the smile!

11. Daydreamer Desserts November 25, 2010 at 12:20 #

Congrats for beautiful mac feet and getting to do the happy dance when you least expected it! I’m definitely going to give this marshmallow frosting a try… :)

12. Lindsey @ Gingerbread Bagels November 25, 2010 at 12:41 #

Your macarons are absolutey stunning and soooo delicious looking! Macarons are one of my favorite things in the world. I love the idea of using marshamallow frosting, so creative. I can’t wait for your PFB entry!! :)

13. Anne November 25, 2010 at 13:15 #

Very nice!

14. Sara @CaffeIna November 25, 2010 at 14:53 #

I’ve recently been converted to macarons and now I can totally appreciate how awesome these look like! And hot chocolate macarons…well they could even covert me to like chocolate!

15. Paula November 25, 2010 at 16:53 #

I am like Rhonda in that I’ve never had a macaron. At this stage in my life I think it is about time I changed that. These ones in particular, only reinforce to me that I am definitely missing out on something.

16. arthi November 25, 2010 at 17:39 #

I agree gr8 minds think alike…We thought of the same theme for Macs but yrs look utterly gorgeous!and complete with Marshmallow filling..

17. HI Cookery November 25, 2010 at 19:27 #

What a heartwarming combo (hot choc and marshmallows) for your beautiful macarons! Love how your shells are so shiny.

18. cat November 25, 2010 at 19:55 #

good grief, those look good. and feet? perfect!

19. Liren November 25, 2010 at 21:23 #

Mardi, this is JUST what I need right now! The cold weather is finally upon us, and just when I thought nothing cold be better than a simple cup of hot chocolate, you went ahead and made *these!*

20. Bakeolicious November 25, 2010 at 21:52 #

I love the idea of marshmallow frosting between delicious chocolate macarons. Yum!

21. The Duo Dishes November 25, 2010 at 21:53 #

*sigh* Macarons on this side have been less than successful. They are very annoying to say the least. But you have mastered it…clearly! Great cold weather treat. :)

22. My Restaurants Melbourne November 25, 2010 at 23:04 #

Wow what a perfect combination!! Now vie finally got a recipe for marshmallow

23. Lorraine @ Not Quite Nigella November 26, 2010 at 02:01 #

OMG Mardi, I am dying to make these. What a brilliant idea! :o

24. K A B L O O E Y November 26, 2010 at 10:08 #

What a great idea, and the story behind the inspiration was great to read. But now I’m craving those macarons, which I have no hope in hell of making, real dense hot chocolate, which I’m also not equipped to make now, and marshmallows. Hmm. Store bought marshmallows or packaged hot chocolate with same is NOT going to cut it. Thanks for supporting my unsatisfiable yearnings, Mardi.

25. Ken│hungry rabbit November 26, 2010 at 12:38 #

Yay Mardi, feet, glorious feet. I hope I get the magic touch back soon.

26. the urban baker November 26, 2010 at 14:50 #

those look divine. i have egg whites that are waiting for some love. thanks for inspiring!

27. Conor @ Hold the Beef November 26, 2010 at 23:36 #

You need a pocketful of these next time you’re doing recess duty. Or hide a few up your sleeve.

28. ping November 27, 2010 at 01:35 #

What a comforting combination! And so pretty!

29. Emme @Food Samba November 27, 2010 at 01:59 #

I could definately have used some hot chocolate and marshmallow macarons this past week in snowy seattle! you make it look so easy, mardi! these look beautifuland delicious!

30. Cleo Coyle November 27, 2010 at 08:12 #

Congrats on your feet – and your feat! A well-deserved TOP 9!! What a wonderful start to winter. Always love your posts — including and especially your macaron posts. The very best of luck on Project Food blog, too. Woot! (I’m off to tweet ya, baby!) ~ Cleo

31. Adelina November 27, 2010 at 13:12 #

These are so original and beautiful. Thanks for sharing!

32. Jean November 27, 2010 at 15:21 #

These macarons look just perfect! I’ve been obsessed with them for a while but haven’t been brave enough to tackle them myself. Love the chocolate/marshmallow theme on these–wish I had a few to devour. :-)

33. Kori November 27, 2010 at 20:06 #

What a great idea! And what beautiful photos! Thanks for sharing :)

34. Brian @ A Thought For Food November 27, 2010 at 20:24 #

Ok… OK! I need to make macarons. I’ve been enjoying all of these posts and have yet to try my hand at these little treats. This one has definitely peaked my interest. Pure awesomeness.

By the way, CONGRATS on making the TOP 9!

35. CityHomeCountryHome November 27, 2010 at 20:25 #

Hi Mardi, I’m on MacTweets although I haven’t participated in the last two challenges. I love that you were finally successful with your macs. They are beautiful and your feet are marvelous. I Enjoy your blog.

• Mardi@eatlivetravelwrite November 29, 2010 at 08:32 #

Well I have had quite a bit of success mixed in with some failures this past year but yes, these are definitely my best so far!

36. Quay Po Cooks November 27, 2010 at 21:01 #

I love macarons but never dare try making it. Yours looks perfect! Oh best of luck for the next round and my finger is all ready to “CLICK” on you:P

37. penny aka jeroxie November 27, 2010 at 23:45 #

you are such an expert now.. you will need to teach me when i come over yah ;)

38. Jamie November 29, 2010 at 09:45 #

If chocolate and marshmallow doesn’t scream autumn and cold weather I don’t know what does. These are amazing! Congrats on getting feet and beautiful macs! Oooh I simply love chocolate and marshmallow and these look more than delicious!

39. Deeba December 1, 2010 at 05:03 #

Sorry I’m ever so late Mardi, but the last month has been filled with madness. I’m SO GLAD you found feet with this batch. They are beautiful, and the 7 minute frosting looks fab! Thank you for joining us at MacTweets this November! !!

40. Shea M. @ Blissfully Unrefined December 1, 2010 at 10:35 #

I love the marshmallow filling on these :) Such a perfect filling to keep them light and dainty, but still decadent and sweet. I felt I had to take this opportunity to thank you for being one of the ones who inspired me to join MacTweets finally this month. After months seeing your (and Deeba’s and Jamie’s) posts about your successes – and failures – it was just the sort of challenge I needed to dust off my cooking mitts and dive back into baking!

Now I’ve made 2 batches (one about a week after my post) and I’m planning more. They don’t last long enough. I feel this slowly become a life-altering obsession, from which there is no return. So thanks, Mardi. Thanks a lot.

;)

• Mardi@eatlivetravelwrite December 1, 2010 at 21:53 #

Uh oh, now I feel responsible. It IS an obsession Shea but we are happy to have you in the Mactweets group!

41. Veronique Deblois December 5, 2010 at 12:07 #

Amazing cookies! Would love to feature one of them in my 12 Cookies of Christmas contest: http://www.foodandwinechickie.com/2010/12/01/12-cookies-of-christmas-contest/
    Cheers,
    Veronique

42. Joy December 29, 2010 at 13:05 #

My husband and child would eat all of them. That looks great.

43. Jayme December 20, 2011 at 12:37 #

These look more like chocolate meringues than macaroons……macaroons have coconut. They still look incredibly delicious….I’m just surprised no body said anything…..

• Mardi@eatlivetravelwrite December 20, 2011 at 12:48 #

Thanks for your comment but these are not supposed to be macaroons. They are macarons. And definitely not meringues.

44. sara January 27, 2012 at 01:03 #

These look amazing! I’ve made macarons a couple of times, sometimes they’ve turned out well but other times not, they definitely are fickle! These look perfect! :)

45. haneul January 17, 2013 at 23:35 #

I absolutely adore you. I made this (with the modified macaron recipe) and it came out absolutely perfectly gorgeous. So beautiful, I was overjoyed. Thank you so so so much!

46. Frances Chua March 28, 2013 at 06:22 #

If we make the macarons but want to eat it the next day, will it still taste as good as the day we make it?

• Mardi Michels March 28, 2013 at 06:32 #

They are actually even better the next day…

• Frances Chua April 2, 2013 at 11:45 #

How should I store the macarons then? Should I put it in an airtight container and then put it in the fridge or at room temperature?

• Mardi Michels April 2, 2013 at 11:59 #

I fill them and store them in the fridge (in an airtight container), bringing them to room temperature before serving.

• Frances Chua April 4, 2013 at 02:15 #

Does the Marshmallow/ Seven minute frosting actually taste like marshmallows?

• Mardi Michels April 4, 2013 at 05:34 #

Yes it does.

47. paige January 14, 2014 at 18:42 #

Is it ok to store the macaroons in some sort of tupperware container? Will the frosting leak out the sides or will it smoosh out the sides if you stack them?

• Mardi Michels January 15, 2014 at 05:52 #

Yes store them in a tupperware in the fridge once they are filled and bring them to room temperature before enjoying. The marshmallow should not “leak out” if it is the right consistency but it is sticky so be careful not to stack them too close.

Trackbacks/Pingbacks

1. Tweets that mention Mactweets November: Hot chocolate and marshmallow macarons -- Topsy.com - November 25, 2010

[...] This post was mentioned on Twitter by LaetitiaB, Mardi. Mardi said: #Mactweets November: Hot #chocolate and #marshmallow #macarons http://goo.gl/fb/aJZ06 [...]

2. {Hot Chocolate Love…} « Chocolate & Ginger - November 30, 2010

[...] 5. Cocoa and marshmallow macarons at eat.live.travel.write. [...]

3. Hot Cocoa & Marshmallow Macarons « The Sweet Life - February 21, 2011

[...] macarons, and so I knew it was high time I baked these cute little babies again. I stumbled across this recipe for hot cocoa macarons with marshmallow filling, and, VOILA! Hot cocoa baked good [...]

4. S’mores Cookie Sandwiches | my kitchen addiction - June 30, 2011

[...] fluff, and I’m really glad I did.  I found a great recipe from Smitten Kitchen (via Mardi from eat. live. travel. write), which turned out to be pretty easy to make… Easier than getting in the car and driving to [...]

5. Macaron Day 2011 Postponed | There's No Place Like Oz - November 6, 2011

[...] Hot chocolate and marshmallow. [...]

6. six ways of chocolate * petitely - January 22, 2014

[…] chocolate: [1] give me a truffle! [2] how about a triple-layer mousse cake? thanks, martha! [3] macarons are one of my favorite desserts [4] in the summer, i will gladly take a fudgesicle [5] an affogato […]