French Fridays with Dorie: Vanilla Vegetable Salad

Dorie Greenspan Vanilla Vegetable Salad for French Fridays with Dorie on eatlivetravelwrite.comWell now Dorie. A vegetable salad with a dressing of olive oil, lemon juice, salt, pepper and… vanilla? Uh huh. You read this right. I could totally have skipped this week’s French Fridays with Dorie recipe (I KNOW – would have been the first time in four years!) because I am literally so busy that I made this last night. I am NEVER this disorganized. Actually I am not disorganized, I just have too much to do right now and this salad didn’t really speak to me enough to warrant a higher priority than “the night before between 5.30 and 6.15pm (seriously, welcome to my life right now).

It’s pretty, I’ll give it that. I used a vegetable peeler to shave slivers of yellow and green zucchini and a carrot. Nice. But the dressing. Weird.

In the headnote, Dorie calls it “unexpected” yet “perfect”. I’m not so sure. And that’s about all I have for you this week. Onwards and upwards – this weekend, I’m live demonstrating desserts (tarte au citron and pavlovas) at Canada’s Baking and Sweets Show. Wish me luck. Baking in front of a live audience. Gulp.

Get the recipe for Dorie Greenspan’s Vanilla Vegetable Salad on page 114 of Around my French Table.

FFwD badge

French Fridays with Dorie participants do not publish the recipes on our blogs, we prefer if you purchase Around My French Table for yourselves which you can do here on Amazon or Amazon Canada. Or for free worldwide shipping, buy from The Book Depository. Go on, treat yourself then join us here!

___________

Please note: The product links from Amazon, Amazon.ca and The Book Depository are affiliate links. If you click on these links and purchase the product I have linked to or any other product, I will receive a small percentage of the sale price.

Eiffel tower

NEW: Want to experience Paris differently? Join me in March 2015 with AYA Life for a trip to Paris like no other – “like a local”. Details here.

________

Canadians – win a KitchenAid Produce Preserver and a $50 to stock up on fresh produce. Closes Wednesday October 1st 6pm EST. Details here.

, , , , , ,

14 Responses to French Fridays with Dorie: Vanilla Vegetable Salad

1. Adriana September 26, 2014 at 05:43 #

You are going to do great, Mardi!

I thought it was nice. We eat salads often and it’s always good to have one more easy dressing recipe in the back burner.

2. Cher September 26, 2014 at 07:09 #

I think I would have liked the dressing on a fig and pear salad (as Susan suggested), I just didn’t know what to do with vanilla scented squash 🙂
    It is a very pretty salad, though.
    I absolutely understand being too busy (as evidenced by my uncharacteristic lateness w/ FFwD over the past few months). Sigh.

3. Liz September 26, 2014 at 07:20 #

Haha…weird indeed. But I was surprised that I enjoyed it! Hope life slows down for you soon, Mardi!

4. Mr. Neil September 26, 2014 at 07:38 #

Not so sure about this one. Mardi stuck it under my nose and challenged me to identify “What’s that flavour?”

I stumbled a bit, but wondered what the sweet sickly-ness was amongst the citrus.

Maybe when I, too, have more than 60 seconds to examine this I might find it enlightening.

5. Nana September 26, 2014 at 19:52 #

Jim and I are with you on this one, not a fan. Good luck this weekend, you are going to do just fine.

6. Betsy September 26, 2014 at 21:47 #

Yeah, I didn’t have much to say about this one. I think Cher and Susan are onto something by suggesting a salad with pears and/or figs with this dressing. That might work better. You will knock them out with your live baking demos, I’m sure! Bonne chance.

7. Diane Balch September 27, 2014 at 08:54 #

Have fun at the show. Not a hit in my house. Strange not interesting to us.

8. EmilyC September 27, 2014 at 10:27 #

So only less than a handful of us enjoyed this (including me)… I thought it delightful! Your Paris trip itinerary sounds wonderful!

9. Teresa September 27, 2014 at 20:58 #

From your Instagram feed, it looks like baking in front of an audience is conquered. That double Pavlova is gorgeous. I sort of liked this salad, but I’m in the minority.

10. Diane Zwang September 28, 2014 at 15:06 #

I agree with you it is pretty but…My family asked that I not make this again. Good luck at the baking show. I hope your life eases up soon.

11. Kathy September 28, 2014 at 15:06 #

I actually enjoyed this dressing! I liked the hint of vanilla, and even tried it with some fresh figs on a bunch of arugula and goat cheese..very nice! Sorry it wasn’t a winner…but then there’s always next week! Have a good one!

12. Cakelaw September 29, 2014 at 06:28 #

Yeah, I am with you, this one was a little weird. But yours looks pretty! Good luck with the demos.

13. Tami September 29, 2014 at 23:54 #

Good luck with the weekend baking show – hope you have your Dorothy shoes out and ready 🙂 Maybe you can dust your Moroccan slippers off instead!!!!

Have a blast – leave the butterflies at home – you’re gonna stun ’em.

PS – oooops – just realised the weekend has been and gone (I’m just catching up after holidays, illness and a busy week). Can’t wait for the posts 🙂

14. Guyla October 1, 2014 at 11:16 #

Have to agree with you Mardi. This was not a favorite but it is a pretty salad!