French Fridays with Dorie: Corn pancakes

It’s going to be a short and sweet French Fridays with Dorie this week. I made this week’s recipe – Corn Pancakes (p 337) – ages ago as a quick dinner that I served with a salad.  An interesting recipe with just eggs, flour and corn, I wasn’t sure how they would turn out and if they would be sweet or savoury.  In fact, they turned out pretty nicely – I was quite surprised to be honest!

Dorie calls for canned corn – I used fresh kernels since they were on offer in my organic delivery box.  I also didn’t blend all the kernels – I saved about 1/3 cup to add in after I had blended the rest of the ingredients to form the pancake mixture. This made for a nicer texture, I think, than had the mixture been completely smooth.

I served them with a dollop of Greek yogurt and some green onions atop a simple green salad. A lovely light dinner for the hot weather. I’ll be remembering these because I think they would work for breakfast, lunch OR dinner – definitely a very versatile recipe.

French Fridays with Dorie participants do not publish the recipes on our blogs, rather, we prefer if you purchase Around My French Table for yourselves (trust me, you definitely want this book!) which you can do here on Amazon or Amazon Canada. Or for free worldwide shipping, buy from The Book Depository. Go on, treat yourself – join us I have not missed a week since October 2010 and the recipes that I didn’t like I can count on one hand.

French Friday links:

Want to join me for a culinary tour of Paris this July? Read all about it here. Only one spot left!!!

Can’t join me in Paris this summer?  How about “Un après midi à Paris” – a new class I will be teaching at Aprhrodite Cooks this coming October?  Join me for a sweet afternoon learning the secrets to some classic French desserts: the elusive macaron, profiteroles, tarte au citron, madeleines and mendiants. We’ll be making “petit four” sizes of each in a hands on class and participants will leave with a box of the class’s creations. After the class you will receive recipes to help you recreate your Parisian treats at home. Refreshments of tea and coffee and infused waters enjoyed throughout the afternoon.  Click to book your spot for this exciting new class on Saturday October 13th 2012.

I’m also thrilled to be teaching my first macaron class at Aphrodite Cooks in November – Macarons: Simple comme Bonjour!  “Simple comme bonjour” means “as easy as A, B, C” and really, macarons are not as difficult as everyone makes them out to be. Spend the afternoon in a hands-on class, learning the secrets of this temperamental, yet exquisite French delicacy – you’ll leave with some of your creations and a new found confidence (and recipes!) to tackle the cookie with the bad reputation all by yourself at home! Refreshments and snacks will be served.    Click to book your spot in this new macaron class on Saturday November 3rd 2012.

Read my Two latest articles on Food Network Canada: Spotlight on Paris markets and Seven must-visit destinations in Burgundy.

Follow my French travels on Flickr this summer with my Summer 2012 set of photos – updated regularly!

, , , , , ,

32 Responses to French Fridays with Dorie: Corn pancakes

1. Liz June 29, 2012 at 07:03 #

I love how you let yours caramelize…mine are a bit pale! And leaving a few kernals whole was brilliant. Beautifully done!!! Safe travels, my friend~

2. Cher June 29, 2012 at 08:04 #

Beautiful job (of course). I like that you left a few kernels whole – these definitely needed a little extra texture.

3. Eileen June 29, 2012 at 08:58 #

I agree that the texture of some whole kernels would be nicer. I don’t know if I messed these up or what, but mine came out gummy. Blech. Yours look good!

4. Paula June 29, 2012 at 11:12 #

Best idea to use fresh corn as you did I think and leaving some unblended was quite smart. I’d be willing to give these a go, especially if the turned out as tasty looking as yours.

5. Alice June 29, 2012 at 11:18 #

good to see that you liked them! :)

did you see I nominated you for a blog award yesterday? It should have posted on your last post … :) Hope you are enjoying Paris!

6. Frankly Entertaining June 29, 2012 at 17:44 #

The texture and color of your pancakes looks amazing!

7. Jessica of My Baking Heart June 29, 2012 at 18:08 #

Beautiful photos! Love the idea of reserving whole kernels for the batter, too!

8. Lola June 29, 2012 at 22:42 #

Yours look so pretty! I will cook mine longer next time!

9. Gracie June 30, 2012 at 00:45 #

The corn pancakes look delicious. I am going to try them out tomorrow with a little caviar.

10. My Traveling Troop June 30, 2012 at 10:16 #

I love eating grilled corn in the summer and usually have a few left over. I bet this would be a great way to make sure they get eaten! Yum!

Cheers,
    Kristina

11. Betsy June 30, 2012 at 21:13 #

I love how golden brown your pancakes are. I agree that this would be good for any meal, or an appetizer. I’ll try a sprinkle of green onion next time. What a good match. Happy Canada Day.

12. Food is our religion July 1, 2012 at 06:11 #

Grilled corn is always so delish!

13. Paula @ Vintage Kitchen July 1, 2012 at 08:48 #

Great golden pancakes! I think using fresh corn and leaving some whole makes for a better pancake for sure. Nice pictures!

14. Maggie July 1, 2012 at 13:42 #

Pretty, pretty pictures as usual! And since I did eat them for breakfast yesterday, I can say with total certainty that they taste delicious with maple syrup! :) In fact I cut up some deli ham and sprinkled it over the pancakes before I syruped them last night for a little snack before bed and that was also really good.

15. DB-The Foodie Stuntman July 1, 2012 at 14:15 #

Looks good and congratulations on making the foodbuzz Top 9!

16. Rose July 2, 2012 at 11:51 #

I too was pleasantly surprised by these. I have no idea why I wasn’t looking forward to them, I like corn, I like pancakes! But for some reason I feel confident that I would have skipped this recipe were it not for FFwD. Thank goodness I didn’t!

17. Jen @ My Kitchen Addiction July 5, 2012 at 18:42 #

These corn pancakes look quite good! I love that you kept some of the kernels to stir in at the end… I bet that adds a nice rustic touch, and some great pockets of corn flavor!