International Incident Party: Salt

I admit this month’s International Incident Party stumped me a little. Salt. Huh. When you Google “Salt recipes”, you get about 23,100,000 results. Ok, then.  I put my thinking cap on…

I really wanted a recipe that made salt the star.  I had a few ideas, mainly something with salted caramel. I toyed with macarons with a salted caramel ganache filling but ended up making some different macs for this month’s Mactweets but since I had one batch of a different flavour turn out (post coming next week), it might have been pushing my luck to expect two successful batches in one month LOL! ;-)

I was quite taken with the idea of combining sweet and salty. My favourite snack discovery from our California road trip this past summer was pretzel M&Ms – I love that sweet and salty combination. That got me thinking to my Stratford trip in the spring where we visited Chocolate Barr’s who make not only a wicked version of chocolate pretzels but also some fabulous chocolate coated potato chips. I know, I know, sounds a bit odd but they are really good.  Then I remembered that Neil had made salted bacon chocolate (and it was really tasty) so figured I could do homemade potato chips dipped in salted chocolate.

Since I don’t own a mandoline, it took me a couple of potatoes to get really thin slices which I fried until crispy.

I did not salt the chips since I thought that might be too much with salt sprinkled on the chocolate too.

When Neil made the bacon chocolate, the only thing he admitted could have been improved on was the texture of the finished product.  He did not temper the chocolate so it wasn’t shiny and glossy (but it tasted great!).  So I read up on tempering and followed the instructions in The Joy of Cooking and was somewhat successful, though it wasn’t as shiny as I would have liked.  I half-dipped the chips in and sprinkled with a little sea salt we picked up in Brittany last Christmas.

I really liked the taste of these – the sweet and salty was in perfect balance and the crisp potato chip gave it a nice texture.  Granted, it’s not everyone’s cup of tea but I was pleased with how they came out. The salt was definitely the star.

I had some leftover chocolate so I added a sprinkle of the salt and poured it into the coolest molds ever, courtesy of my friend Martha.

Could it be….?

Yup, it’s salted chocolate Lego!  Again, not as shiny as I would have liked but still delicious.  The sea salt was “sel de mer fin” so it didn’t have the crunch that Lindt Fleur de Sel (possibly my favourite chocolate ever) does so it was melt-in-your-mouth and the salt taste surprising and unexpected.  I used Brix Dark Chocolate which was lovely and smooth with no bitterness.  Next time? Work on my tempering. But the taste was spot on.

Check out what everyone else brought to the Salt Party below:

If you’re from Ontario, did you check out my Taste the Season giveaway yet?  Closes November 21st.

I am thrilled to announce I have made it to Round 8 of Project Food Blog. I am one of 24 people left from an original 600 contestants.  Thank you all for reading and voting (and watching my video!) – my next post (getting creative with baked goods featuring pumpkin) will be up next Sunday.

83 Responses to International Incident Party: Salt

1. Barbara @ VinoLuciStyle November 20, 2010 at 19:08 #

Who doesn’t love the combination of sweet, chocolate and salty? Even as a kid it’s what we got with popcorn and M&M’s, right.

These look great; and am now craving the potato chip cookie that I make occasionally. Yes…you heard that right.

It has crushed potato chips in it and so has a subtle salt and sweet flavor; now thinking next time it needs to be taken to another level with a chocolate drizzle. All your fault.

• Mardi@eatlivetravelwrite November 24, 2010 at 06:57 #

Oh popcorn and M&Ms…. Mmmm! And yes, these reminded me so much of your potato chip cookies – had there been any left I might have made some but… well…

2. Belinda @zomppa November 20, 2010 at 19:11 #

Oh no………..this is sooooo good…a perfect dessert. I love that lego mold!

3. Martha November 20, 2010 at 19:12 #

Both treats look delicious! I think I’ll make the chocolate Legos for James’7th birthday party, minus the salt. :-)

• Mardi@eatlivetravelwrite November 24, 2010 at 06:56 #

They are so easy but you do need to temper the chocolate – email me and I will send you directions if you don’t have them!

4. Liz @ Blog is the New Black November 20, 2010 at 19:13 #

LOVE this idea. And how cute are those legos?!

5. merry jennifer November 20, 2010 at 19:19 #

I could totally go for some of your chips right now. I love that combination of sweet and salty. The photos turned out beautifully, too, with the individual grains of salt showing through so clearly.

6. leaf (the indolent cook) November 20, 2010 at 19:34 #

What a great idea! And the legos are so cute!

7. Conor @ Hold the Beef November 20, 2010 at 19:38 #

omg
    Seriously?
    Chocolate LEGO?
    With salt??
    omg
    You win.

8. 5 Star Foodie November 20, 2010 at 21:22 #

Such cute treats these are! Love the idea of both the salted chocolate dipped potato chips and the legos! And congratulations on pfb! I am routing for you to go all the way!

9. mademoiselle délicieuse November 20, 2010 at 21:34 #

Chocolate lego! *squeal* The goodness of chocolate in every brick.

10. Annapet November 20, 2010 at 22:39 #

Chocolate Lego! OMG, my son and I would love to have those blocks. I better get those molds.

I have a savory tooth and with that said, SALT is the star in my kitchen.

11. Andrea@High/Low November 20, 2010 at 23:07 #

my goodness Mardi, what a post! sweet+salty is my fave addiction. love the pretzel m&m’s (I can bring you a bag along with the coconut one’s if you’d like) and those chocolate potato chips would be devoured! And love those awesome Lego molds! Where can I get one? =)

12. penny aka jeroxie November 21, 2010 at 00:07 #

Clever and so naughty… how cute are those lego chocolate!! great xmas pressie.

13. Maya November 21, 2010 at 00:31 #

I feel like building something substantial with those chocolate Legos… maybe my hips? ;-) Those choc covered potato crisps look positively decadent and delicious!

• Mardi@eatlivetravelwrite November 24, 2010 at 06:53 #

LOL! Glad I only made six of the Legos otherwise I would have been popping them in my mouth way too often!

14. Tamar November 21, 2010 at 00:43 #

My tastebuds love you but the diet side of my brain is not too happy right now. *drool*

15. msihua November 21, 2010 at 01:27 #

OMG!! A LEGO MOLD!!! Oh… and this reminds me of just me… dunking McDonald’s French Fries into a Chocolate Sundae… MMMmm… sooo goood.. but… LEGO!

• Mardi@eatlivetravelwrite November 24, 2010 at 06:53 #

Oh I have never done teh Macdo fries in the sundae thing but I can see the appeal, kinda sorta ;-)

16. Kocinera November 21, 2010 at 01:48 #

Oh my! Chocolate and chips?! Sounds really, really, really yummy! :D

17. Dimah November 21, 2010 at 02:53 #

Looks absolutely delicious and yummy!

18. Iron Chef Shellie November 21, 2010 at 03:01 #

OMG that lego chocolate is sooooooooo cute!!!

and those chips.. omg I could do with some of them right now!

19. My Restaurants Melbourne November 21, 2010 at 04:48 #

Wow you are so creative with this, great job. Salt is definitely a hard one to think of.

20. Tokyo Terrace November 21, 2010 at 07:29 #

Great minds think alike! I made “Choclate Chips (chocolate covered potato chips) last Valentine’s Day! http://www.tokyoterrace.com/2010/02/chocolate-chips-and-champagne/

Well done and beautiful photos!

21. Lindsey @ Gingerbread Bagels November 21, 2010 at 09:21 #

I am just AMAZED at your creativity. Chocolate and potato chips?! YUM!!! And the chocolate salted legos are just pure genius and not to mention, so fun! Great job! :)

22. cat November 21, 2010 at 10:21 #

i love the sweet, salty combo too – best of both worlds – and your chips look delicious! when my grandmother was still living, i used to drive up to northern michigan fairly often to spend time with her, and along the way, i’d pass this little family-run chocolate shop that was sort of in the middle of nowhere. i’d seen it for years and had never stopped, figuring i wasn’t going to find anything special out in the middle of nowhere in east-central michigan. i finally stopped one day and found out just how wrong i was. and my favorite handmade treat – and huge surprise? chocolate dipped potato chips! i haven’t thought of those in years – thanks for bringing back that sweet memory. :)

• cat November 21, 2010 at 10:22 #

and congratulations!!!! on getting into the next foodbuzz round! can’t wait to see your pumpkin treats.

• Mardi@eatlivetravelwrite November 24, 2010 at 06:52 #

Isn’t it funny how you find the tastiest treats in the most unsuspecting places. Glad to bring back that memory for you!

23. ayngelina November 21, 2010 at 10:24 #

My favorite combination is salty sweet, looks delicious.

24. Trix November 21, 2010 at 10:31 #

This has pretty everything that I look for in a midnight-maybe-I-drank-too-much snack. Oh yes, indeed!

25. Casey Angelova November 21, 2010 at 10:54 #

A few years back I went to a Vosge chocolate event in NYC and they had served chocolate on potato chips. The was an amazing taste, I’m sure yours are better because their chocolate wasn’t melted on!!! Great job!

26. Evelyne@CheapEthnicEatz November 21, 2010 at 11:05 #

Was hoping for some salty sweet entries, yay the chips look great. Yep Lindt fleur de sel rules!

27. Lora November 21, 2010 at 11:07 #

Those potato chips look divine. Love the lego molds!

28. Suzie the Foodie November 21, 2010 at 12:35 #

I think you did a wonderful job on tempering Mardi, there definitely is a sheen there and look at the salt sparkle! I totally agree, what an awesome chocolate mold. Very cool.

• Mardi@eatlivetravelwrite November 24, 2010 at 06:48 #

Thanks and on second thought, yes, they are quite shiny. Not quite shop quality but still really happy with how they turned out!

29. goodnessbaker November 21, 2010 at 15:08 #

These are lovely! Has me thinking about sweet potatoes too. Your chips are particularly tasty looking. Tempering is tricky but I think your chocolate looks great! I would buy these!

30. Joyce November 21, 2010 at 15:08 #

I love the combination of salty and sweet. AMAZING idea with the chip and chocolate.

31. Amy Bakes Everything November 21, 2010 at 16:36 #

OMG I die!!!! I’m totally making these, amazing job!

32. Anna Johnston November 21, 2010 at 17:58 #

These are awesome Marla, what a great idea and I’m dying to taste one, the chocolatey sweet, the sour of the salt…. Mmmm, delish :)

33. Jeanne November 21, 2010 at 22:17 #

are these for real? gosh, i’m totally making these!

34. make my day November 22, 2010 at 04:09 #

They just look fantastic! so creative.

35. LimeCake November 22, 2010 at 04:26 #

yum! I don’t think i’d be able to stop at one! and those lego moulds are too cool!

36. Lynne November 22, 2010 at 07:25 #

Wow……they look amazing and I’m sure they taste just as good.

37. Vicki @ Wilde in the Kitchen November 22, 2010 at 18:01 #

Salted chocolate potato chips??? I’m in love! Nice play on the salty sweet combo (my favorite as well!) can’t wait to fry up some potatoes and try this!

38. Jenny Nguyen November 23, 2010 at 04:04 #

mmmm…salted chocolate is the best

39. Marisa November 23, 2010 at 08:36 #

The lego blocks are so cute! And I must say the idea of the salty chips and dark chocolate sounds incredible. Think it’d be one of those scenarios of “once you pop, you can’t stop”. ;-)

40. Jen @ My Kitchen Addiction November 23, 2010 at 09:52 #

Ooh… yum! I love salty sweet things. Those potato chips look so good… and so dangerous! I know I’d eat entirely too many!

41. Mr. Neil November 23, 2010 at 10:16 #

Okay, for all you *adults* who still seem enamoured with Lego…

42. Claire November 23, 2010 at 12:19 #

What a cool idea!! Sweet and savory!

43. Linn @ Swedish Home Cooking November 23, 2010 at 17:32 #

Salt and chocolate is a really good combination! Mm. I want to try making this right away. Luscious.

44. Boulder Locavore November 23, 2010 at 22:37 #

Absolutely gorgeous! You can almost taste everything from your description and photos. The legos are beyond cute. Congrats on the contest too!

45. Mr. Neil November 24, 2010 at 07:40 #

Okay, I taste-tasted a choccy Lego last night…mmmm. Perfect ratio. Well done.

46. Stephjumped November 25, 2010 at 09:46 #

Wow…what a great combo! Love the chip idea. And the lego chocolate is totally cute!

47. Paula November 25, 2010 at 16:35 #

I am the sweet lover in the house, my husband the salt lover. These chips would be the perfect snack for both of us and the grand-kids would certainly get a kick out of the chocolate lego block. They would make a great stocking stuffer idea for Christmas!

p.s. I just found M&M Pretzels for sale in our local grocery story :)

• Mardi@eatlivetravelwrite November 26, 2010 at 11:18 #

Oh danger danger – the pretzel m&ms…. And yes you would love this snack – it’s perfect for your household!

48. Jason Phelps November 29, 2010 at 21:16 #

Chocolate dipped and salted potato chips. Instant riches perhaps?

Jason

49. Bonita December 8, 2010 at 13:17 #

The perfect combo of salt and sweet. Me wants!!

50. K A B L O O E Y December 20, 2010 at 20:05 #

I don’t know how I missed this post. The chips and Legos look spectacular and I know I’d have loved them both. (I was sorry I didn’t get to taste the bacon chocolates, after all). I love dark chocolate pretzels, sea salt is my secret weapon when I make choc. chip cookies, and I’ve even sprinkled flakes of salt on my chocolate ice cream on occasion, so I know homemade potato chips like these would be sublime.

• Mardi@eatlivetravelwrite December 21, 2010 at 09:02 #

These are actually REALLY good – very proud of myself! Love the idea of sea salt on chic ice cream!

Trackbacks/Pingbacks

1. Tweets that mention eat. live. travel. write. Chocolate-covered salted potato chips -- Topsy.com - November 20, 2010

[...] This post was mentioned on Twitter by Mardi, Mardi. Mardi said: International Incident Party: #Salt http://goo.gl/fb/NJt1E #internationalincident #chocolate #eat #potatoes [...]

2. Twitted by curlywurlyfi - November 22, 2010

[...] This post was Twitted by curlywurlyfi [...]

3. Round up #9 – International Incident Salt Party | Addictive and consuming - A Melbourne food blog - November 30, 2010

[...] Mardi of Eat Live Travel Write – homemade potato chips dipped in salted chocolate [...]

4. LEGO Links « Ein Stück vom Glück - December 30, 2010

[...] physical fiction via designworklife, 7. Typographie via we love typography, 8. LEGO Schokolade via eat.live.travel.write., 9. Digitalkamera via our.city.lights und 10. das LEGO [...]