Hay hay it’s Donna Day!

I figured that this month would be a great time to participate in the Hay Hay it’s Donna Day food blogger event because 1) I had all the ingredients and 2) it’s a really quick dish to prepare, key for me in this crazy-for-teachers month of November. You can read more about the event (organised by the fabulously talented Chez Us) here. October’s event was hosted by Jo of Have Fork Will Travel.

Hay Hay its Donna Day

The recipe: Creamy pancetta and roasted garlic pasta
Serve 4
(donna hay magazine issue 38)

roasted garlic

2 heads of garlic

1 teaspoon olive oil

Preheat oven to 180C/fan 160C/355F.
Cut off the tops of the garlic heads so the cloves are just showing. Drizzle the garlic with olive oil and wrap in aluminium foil. Place on a baking tray and cook for 45 minutes or until soft. Set aside to cool slightly before peeling off the skins*. Place cloves in a bowl and mash with the back of a fork.

*The garlic will be so soft and jammy that you’ll be able to press the flesh out by gently squeezing the cloves between your fingers, or gently lift each clove out with a skewer.

400g dried or fresh pappardelle pasta

2 teaspoons olive oil

300g piece mild pancetta, chopped

1 head roasted garlic, mashed

½ teaspoon dried chili flakes

125ml pouring cream

sea salt and cracked black pepper

1 cup coarsely chopped flat-leaf parsley

finely grated parmesan, to serve (I actually just roughly grated the cheese)

Cook the pasta in a saucepan of salted, boiling water until al dente (10-12 minutes for dried or 3-5 minutes for fresh pasta). Drain and keep warm. (I used this awesome porcini mushroom pasta brought back from Italy for us by a friend):

Heat the oil in a large frying pan over medium heat. Add the pancetta and cook for 2-3 minutes or until browned. Remove from the heat and add garlic, chili, cream, salt and pepper and stir to combine.

Add the warm pasta* with the parsley and parmesan and toss to coat.

*the heat from the pasta will thicken the sauce

This was a great dish – apart from the 45 minutes of roasting garlic, it took about 30 minutes start to finish. A fabulous weeknight standby! We used some of our second round of home-cured pancetta and bacon and Cleo was very interested in the unveiling of the pancetta:

(she didn’t get any!)

24 Responses to Hay hay it’s Donna Day!

1. Yum Yucky November 4, 2009 at 10:52 #

Wow. I didn't know you could do that to garlic. And look at that parmesan! Ahhhh….

2. Miranda November 4, 2009 at 11:51 #

Oh. How. I . Love. Roasted. Garlic.

I am totally going to make a dish with Roasted Garlic this week.
    Thanks for reminding me…MUAH!

3. Divina Pe November 4, 2009 at 12:38 #

Yum. Lovely pasta. Simple ingredients that every household have in their pantry and it can be done in a flash.

4. Simply Life November 4, 2009 at 12:47 #

Wow, this looks great! I'm sure it's delicious with that garlic!

5. Neil C. Phillips November 4, 2009 at 13:02 #

Outstanding dish. But anything with roasted garlic normally rates high.

Our home-made bacon and pancetta were divine – as was the icnredibly pasta Barry brought us from italy.

Mmmm.

We paired it with a slightly robust Spanish Tempranillo from Penedes Bajo. While a cream sauce, I thought this would match the spice and salt of the pancetta better than a white. (And did not have anything oaky in the fridge anyway.)

6. tokyoterrace November 4, 2009 at 13:12 #

Perfect dish for colder weather! I love creamy pasta dishes, especially with pancetta and garlic. Yum! I'm going to dream about this when I go to sleep tonight for sure!

7. Conor @ HoldtheBeef November 4, 2009 at 13:16 #

Roasted garlic = heaven! Looks delicious.. poor Cleo! Us readers only get to see the food and not eat it, she has to see it AND smell it and still not eat it! :D

8. tastyeatsathome November 4, 2009 at 15:00 #

You know, I love roasted garlic, and I never think to make it! Yum! I'm totally thinking I'm roasting some to put in polenta tomorrow.

9. 5 Star Foodie November 4, 2009 at 15:19 #

Delicious pasta with roasted garlic! Congrats also on winning the Bertolli demo, how awesome!

10. Martha November 4, 2009 at 15:51 #

Yum! I absolutely love Donna Hay. Her recipes use very few ingredients and are always so tasty. Her Sticky Thai Chicken is a frequent meal at our house.

11. Jessie November 4, 2009 at 17:38 #

lovely pasta dish very simple yet filled with lots of flavor

12. penny aka jeroxie November 4, 2009 at 20:51 #

Roasted garlic is so sweet and I love this easy dish! Go HHDD!

13. Mardi @eatlivetravelwrite November 4, 2009 at 21:45 #

Yum yucky – get right on that – you will not regret it!

Miranda – you're welcome

Divina – that's why it's so great!

Simply Life – yep and the garlic was even more potent today!!!

Neil – glad you liked it!

Tokyo terrace – I loved how LITTLE cream there was in it but it still tasted so creamy!

Conor – she's 10.8lbs of "poor black cat"!!

5 Star – thanks so much!

Tasty eats – mmmm polenta!

Martha – I thought you would like this!

Jessie – that's why we love it!

Penny – I heart Donna!

14. Chez Us November 4, 2009 at 23:45 #

Fantastic job! I love that you used mushroom pasta – I thought about scattering some truffles over but then changed my mind – next time!

Thanks for playing with the HHDD event!!

15. Lorraine @ Not Quite Nigella November 5, 2009 at 01:15 #

I love the taste of sweet whole garlic heads! I'm dying to try out a recipe from her new book too :D

16. pegasuslegend November 5, 2009 at 02:43 #

this looks delicious :)

17. Carolyn Jung November 5, 2009 at 04:42 #

I bet a drizzle of truffle oil over the top would be insane in this. ;)

18. Mardi @eatlivetravelwrite November 5, 2009 at 11:43 #

Chez us – Mmmm – yes truffle oil would be great on that! I like the earthiness the mushroom pasta gave it.

Lorraine – I love the smell of the house when you are roasting garlic!

Pegasus – oh it was!

Carolyn – Yes, now you all have me thinking of truffle oil…

19. Fresh Local and Best November 6, 2009 at 03:02 #

This looks like a fabulous recipe, I love seeing all those thick chunks of pancetta. Yum!

20. Mardi @eatlivetravelwrite November 7, 2009 at 13:24 #

Fresh Local – Mmmm!

21. The Best Family November 7, 2009 at 17:54 #

mmmm . . . you had me at roast garlic . . .

22. Chez Us November 10, 2009 at 18:08 #

Thanks for playing in the HHDD event. Be sure to head over to Jo's site to pick a winner who will be the host for the next HHDD.

23. Oni @ This Little Green Book June 30, 2010 at 09:35 #

I love roasted garlic so much, though haven’t cooked with it for a long time. Thanks for the reminder!