French Fridays with Dorie: Orange and olive salad

Dorie Greenspan orange and olive salad for French Fridays with Dorie on eatlivetravelwrite.comIt’s been a bit of a crazy week here – school (finally) ended on Wednesday and I spent yesterday tidying my office so I can start to lay out my clothes and things to pack (we leave on Saturday so I still have some time. Right?!). In the midst of all that, I made this week’s French Fridays with Dorie dish. Ahem. You can always tell how organized I am by the timing on my Dorie dishes – if I’m making it the day before (and writing it up at 4.50am the day of!) I’m much less organized than I normally am.

This week, though it wasn’t just about organization – I’d had the ingredients for ages. No, it was more about “Say what? A salad made of oranges and …. olives??? Drizzled with olive oil and sprinkled with onions and salt?” I simply couldn’t get my head around it until I HAD to make it for my lunch yesterday.

My fridge is in the sad state that fridges seem to be in pre-vacation – with all sorts of bits and pieces but no real meal per se.   In fact the state of my groceries was so sad yesterday that I didn’t have onions. Or shallots. Or green onions or any other variation on onions.  Since I am not a fan of onions in salads, I decided it would be ok sans but that’s the only liberty I took. I thinly sliced my (ugly) olives (again, I only had what I consider “cooking” olives in the fridge) and sprinkled them on top of the peeled and sliced orange. I dotted some olive oil around the plate and sprinkled with coarse sea salt. And took a tentative bite.

And you know what? It wasn’t bad. I am a big fan of salty and sweet together and because I only used the tiniest of drizzles of olive oil it wasn’t overwhelming. I loved the crunch from my very corase salt. And actually used the rest of the orange and the ugly olives (roughly chopped this time) to make a bigger serve of this. The bright flavours were a very welcome surprise in my hectic day!

Get the recipe for Dorie Greenspan’s orange and olive salad on p 97 of Around my French Table.

FFwD badge

French Fridays with Dorie participants do not publish the recipes on our blogs, we prefer if you purchase Around My French Table for yourselves which you can do here on Amazon or Amazon Canada. Or for free worldwide shipping, buy from The Book Depository. Go on, treat yourself then join us here!

Eiffel Tower Paris on eatlivetravelwrite.com

NEW: Want to experience Paris differently? Join me in March 2015 with AYA Life for a trip to Paris like no other – “like a local”. Details here.

___________

Please note: The product links from Amazon, Amazon.ca and The Book Depository are affiliate links, meaning if you click over and purchase something, I will receive a very small percentage of the purchase price which goes towards maintaining eat. live. travel. write. Thank you in advance!

, , , , , ,

16 Responses to French Fridays with Dorie: Orange and olive salad

1. Liz December 19, 2014 at 08:00 #

I think we were all grateful for an easy recipe! Safe travels, Mardi, and Merry Christmas!!!

2. Sam @ My Carolina Kitchen December 19, 2014 at 09:40 #

I’ve made a similar version of this salad and it always surprises people how well the flavors go together. I took it to a party one time and it was a big hit, but mine had red onions in it, which gave it a little color and umph.

Happy holidays,
    Sam

3. Adriana December 19, 2014 at 10:45 #

This is a perfect lunch/brunch dish. I made (and ate!) mine this morning, so I feel your current state of bloggers’ lag/delay. Safe travels tomorrow et Joyeux Noël, mon ami!

4. Diane Balch December 19, 2014 at 11:26 #

You are loyal making this so early in the morning. Enjoy your school break and Merry Christmas.

5. Tammy December 19, 2014 at 13:43 #

I made mine yesterday for lunch, too, and finished my post this morning as well! Of course, we can always claim that that is the way we “planned” to do it … we’re not disorganized at all! 🙂

6. Cakelaw December 19, 2014 at 18:48 #

Glad that you enjoyed this Mardi. I like salty and sweet together, but the olives and oranges together didn’t do it for me. Merry Xmas!!

7. Betsy December 19, 2014 at 20:02 #

I wasn’t sure about this one before I made it, but in the end, it wasn’t for me. No matter how you categorize your states of “organized” you are ALWAYS ahead of me. Have a great vacation and Merry Christmas Mardi!

8. Mary Hirsch December 19, 2014 at 22:01 #

So, tomorrow you are off on your adventure. Have a wonderful (I know it will be exciting) time in France. Good for you for throwing this salad together at the last moment. I actually like the onions with it but, despite my soaking them in a cold bath, there was a distinct onion flavoring in each bite of the salad. You would not have been a fan of that. Bon Voyage and travel safely.

9. Cher December 19, 2014 at 23:15 #

I made this recipe at about 3:00 this afternoon – I used to be the girl who had all her recipes done weeks ahead of time… Gaa.

I was wondering about this going in, until I remembered that citrus zest is often used in marinating olives. It didn’t feel so strange then.

Have a lovely time in France. I hope this means you will be hanging out in the new digs.

10. EmilyC December 20, 2014 at 02:34 #

That plate is definitely ‘less is more’ and happy holidays!

11. Kathy December 20, 2014 at 09:38 #

I was totally grateful for this very easy to put together salad, and pleasantly surprised at how much I really enjoyed it! This one was a winner for me! Glad you enjoyed it too! Have a wonderful Christmas! Enjoy your vacation!

12. Nana December 20, 2014 at 11:31 #

Have a wonderful time in France, and a very Merry Christmas.

13. Katie December 21, 2014 at 09:42 #

I’m glad you enjoyed it in the end! Have a great vacation and Merry Christmas!

14. Diane Zwang December 21, 2014 at 11:47 #

Kudos to you for fitting it all in. I hope you have a lovely trip and enjoy your school break. Happy holidays.

15. Teresa December 28, 2014 at 19:09 #

This was a strange one on paper, but it was really delicious. I hope you’re having a wonderful holiday. Happy New Year!

16. Rose January 4, 2015 at 14:43 #

Sounds like we were both in a bit of a pre-vacation rush when we made this one. Today is my first day home and I’m so grateful that my freezer is well stocked with soup because the fridge is EMPTY! Hope you are enjoying your time in France.