JC100: Omelette roulée

Culinary icon Julia Child would have turned 100 years old on August 15th of this year. To honor her, the folks at YC Media and Random House/  Alfred A. Knopf are launching the JC100:  an international campaign involving restaurants, chefs, bookstores, and bloggers, all celebrating Julia and her legacy. Their goal is to raise one million voices in tribute to Julia, and I am honoured to participate!

A panel of culinary luminaries, including celebrity chef Thomas Keller, former restaurant critic of The New York Times Ruth Reichl, and food writer Amanda Hesser, has selected their most beloved 100 Julia Child recipes.  Each Monday, in the 100 days leading up to Julia’s birthday (starting May 7th), I’ll be receiving one special JC100 recipe to bake/ cook if I choose. I am only obliged to make one but hope to participate a few times in the next 100 days.

For Julia, a simple lunch of sole meunière – her first meal in Paris — was life changing and inspired her 40-year love affair with food and the start of a cooking revolution in America.  The first recipe of the JC100 is Julia’s classic Omelette Roulée (Rolled Omelette) — “dinner in half a minute,” as she described it on “The French Chef.”  This one’s all about technique, but the opportunities for garnishes and fillings are limitless.

Having just returned from a whirlwind trip to Bangkok (there and back – that’s TWO 20 hour flights! – in 7 days) I chose to go simple and yesterday morning, having had a weird night’s sleep, woke up needing something a little substantial for breakfast. True to the recipe, this was, indeed a quick meal – less than 5 minutes’ from rolling into the kitchen to sitting down to eat. And yes, it took me a couple of goes to get this right. The “mistakes” were chopped up and went into some fried rice ;)

Facebook:  https://www.facebook.com/JuliaChild
Tumblr:  http://jc100.tumblr.com/
Pinterest:  http://pinterest.com/knopfbooks/jc100/
Twitter:  https://twitter.com/#!/JC100

, , ,

20 Responses to JC100: Omelette roulée

1. Liz May 13, 2012 at 15:29 #

Oh, I’d love this for dinner tonight. Wasn’t Julia the BEST?

2. Laura May 13, 2012 at 18:03 #

Looks fantastic! I’m excited to see which recipe we’ll be cooking next.

3. Ann May 13, 2012 at 18:16 #

I LOVE this! I remember when I saw her do this on TV – I immediately went into the kitchen and made one. It’s amazing how delicious egg are – when done properly! I’m SO glad you’re participating….

Happy Birthday Julia – you are a gift to the world!

4. The Mistress of Spices May 14, 2012 at 08:41 #

You’re such a rock star! Back from Bangkok and straight back to posting…very impressive! And I am totally tempted to join this cooking club….that is such a beautiful omelette!

5. The Mistress of Spices May 14, 2012 at 08:42 #

And again, it was so very nice to meet you :-)

6. Julia {The Roasted Root} May 14, 2012 at 10:42 #

Looks like an awesome recreation of a brilliant dish. You made it beautifully!

7. Mike May 14, 2012 at 11:22 #

I was running out of ideas on how to eat my eggs (trying to avoid carbs lately) and your dish looks great. I’m having this for breakfast tomorrow.

8. Paula May 15, 2012 at 20:56 #

You are one trooper of a traveller to do 40 hours flying time in seven days. Never mind the trips to and from the airports, waiting for luggage, etc. A five minute breakfast that looks this appetizing is the least you deserve! Enjoy this wonderful celebration project in honour of the amazing Julia Child.

9. Trevor May 16, 2012 at 02:55 #

It was the first thing I ever learned to cook. It has served me well!

10. Marsha @ The Harried Cook May 16, 2012 at 22:17 #

I am a part of JC100 too and I tried the rolled omelettes :) They turned out pretty good after a few attempts, but still not good enough to blog about… I don’t think I was using the right kind of pan.. your omelette looks fab! and I love that you used the other ones in fried rice… I just gave them to my doggie :) Great post!

11. Jen @ My Kitchen Addiction May 17, 2012 at 14:08 #

Lovely! I’ll never forget that we had to make rolled omelettes in my home economics class in high school… In order to pass! This was well before my days of actually knowing how to cook, and I was pretty terrified that I would fail high school because my omelettes were more like scrambled eggs. I survived, though… But, to this day, I’m still not great at it. There’s a reason I make so many frittatas instead. :)