French Fridays with Dorie: Corn soup

This week’s French Fridays  with Dorie was an easy one. So easy that I was able to make it in about 30 minutes from start to finish. I loved that I  could use fresh Ontario corn  and that it didn’t require any fancy ingredients – corn, carrots, celery, onions, garlic, milk and water. The stripped corn cobs are simmered in the milk to infuse it with even more corn flavour whilst the vegetables cook and then the milk is poured over the vegetables to simmer for about 20 minutes.  A few stabs of the immersion blender later and you have this gorgeous, sunny yellow soup. You can actually find this recipe online, here.

I topped this with some (homemade) bacon bits, scallions and a dollop of crème fraîche (which I can finally buy in my local supermarket – thanks Liberté!).  I enjoyed this soup, perhaps more than Neil, who suggested that it was only good because of the toppings. I agree that the sweetness of the corn (this was REALLY sweet) needed to be balanced by some salt so the bacon was a perfect touch.  I also found it to be quite rich, though I used part skim (2%) milk – for a thinner and less rich soup in warmer weather, I might suggest more water added in just before it’s being blended.

Want to join French Fridays with Dorie? Join here.

French Fridays with Dorie participants do not publish the recipes on our blogs, rather, we prefer if you purchase Around My French Table for yourselves (trust me, you definitely want this book!) which you can do here on Amazon or Amazon Canada. Or for free worldwide shipping, buy from The Book Depository.

68 Responses to French Fridays with Dorie: Corn soup

1. Alyssa September 2, 2011 at 06:21 #

Your photos of the soup are wonderful. I recently got my copy of Around My French table, but not in time for this week’s recipe. I’ll probably try this one soon anyway just because it sounds (and looks) so great. Nice post!

2. Liz September 2, 2011 at 06:56 #

Mmmmmmm….you followed all the instructions :) I didn’t puree and forgot the scallions and creme fraiche in the fridge…it was still a winner. Gorgeous bowl of soup!!

3. Mr. Neil September 2, 2011 at 07:37 #

Oh yes, I enjoyed – but absolutely it would have struck me as bland without the bacon or scallions.

4. Sam @ My Carolina Kitchen September 2, 2011 at 08:07 #

You’ve made it look so lovely. Often corn soup can appear blah in the bowl. I think the corn this year has been ultra-sweet, in fact sometimes too sweet for my taste. The bacon would be a great counterbalance.
    Sam

5. Cher September 2, 2011 at 08:46 #

Very pretty.
    The soup was good on its own, but I have to agree that the sweet corn needed the saltiness of the bacon to bring balance.

6. Frankly Entertaining September 2, 2011 at 08:51 #

Your presentation is beautiful. I love how one recipe can yield so many different looks!

7. one expat's life September 2, 2011 at 09:40 #

What lovely bowls, they are the perfect color to set this soup off! And I agree that the sweetness from the corn definitely needed something salty to balance it out. I didn’t use any bacon, but after tasting how sweet the soup was I really appreciated how good bacon would have been with it.

8. sanya September 2, 2011 at 10:04 #

I really have to try it with the bacon next time!
    Your photos look great, the colours are so vibrant and inviting!

9. Elin September 2, 2011 at 10:12 #

I added bacon bits to the sweet corn soup and it tasted good :) Yours look delish too and great presentation:)

10. Belinda @zomppa September 2, 2011 at 10:12 #

The colors just pop, evidence of how the flavors must as well!

11. Tammy September 2, 2011 at 11:02 #

I love the turquoise bowl … it’s perfect for the yellow soup.

12. Krissy September 2, 2011 at 11:26 #

Beautiful yellow color for your soup. I decided to keep the chunks this time…seemed more like a meal. Love your colorful photos.

13. Ei September 2, 2011 at 13:05 #

Gorgeous photo! Your soup is so yellow! My corn was only slightly yellow, so my soup looks pretty washed out. Oh well…

14. Adriana September 2, 2011 at 14:50 #

Your soup looks wonderful, Mardi. I should give my little blue bowl a bit more use! Homemade bacon bits was the way to go with this one, definitely.

15. Stephanie @ Eat. Drink. Love. September 2, 2011 at 15:37 #

this soup looks so good! Love that bright, bold yellow color!

16. stacy :) September 2, 2011 at 16:07 #

Your photos are so beautiful, with that very yellow corn against the blue! I agree, the garnish really made the dish – salty bacon and the tangy creme fraiche (I used Greek yogurt, which was also delicious) against the sweet summer corn.

17. Nancy/SpicieFoodie September 2, 2011 at 16:26 #

Hi Mardi,
    Your soup looks so sunny and hearty, love that. Well besides the sweetness it sounds like the recipe was still a winner. Thanks for sharing.
    (P.S. Thanks for the message about my pup.)

18. Alice September 2, 2011 at 17:37 #

I love how vibrant your photo is! Makes me hungry for more soup! I bet it is good cold, but I like the contrast of the creme fraiche (which I’m now addicted to) and the warmth of the soup.

19. Confessions of a Culiary Diva September 2, 2011 at 20:05 #

What a gorgeous color and velvet-like texture.

20. Erin @ Dinners, Dishes and Desserts September 2, 2011 at 20:45 #

Such a pretty color! Creamy and delicious, and the crumbled bacon on top – Yum!

21. The Culinary Lens September 2, 2011 at 21:06 #

Beautiful looking soup I love your toppings. I love the idea of cooking the shucked cobs to raw out the last of the flavor.

22. JK Tasty Mayhem September 2, 2011 at 21:10 #

D made the same comment about the savories, thought the soup was too sweet without. Frankly, since D pretty much refuses to eat soup, I was impressed it was eaten at all. I too loved that I had nearly all the ingredients for this soup at my fingertips.

23. Betsy September 2, 2011 at 21:12 #

Your soup looks really thick. I loved the contrast of the salty bacon with the sweetness of the corn. Perfect summer soup.

24. Life is Full September 2, 2011 at 22:47 #

Your soup looks lovely! I didn’t get that gorgeous yellow even though I used Ontario corn too. :)

25. kitchenarian September 2, 2011 at 23:21 #

Your soup looks hearty and delicious. I love how so many different versions of soup can come from the same recipe. I loved the flavors of this soup. It was a winner!

26. ck September 3, 2011 at 01:18 #

It’s a gorgeous colour, great photos, but I don’t know that I could go the sweetness. Looks worth a try though.

27. penny aka jeroxie September 3, 2011 at 10:22 #

really love the look of this corn soup!

28. April @ Girl Gone Gourmet September 3, 2011 at 13:30 #

I love to make soup, but have never tried a corn version. Love the garnishes– sounds like they rounded it out nicely.

29. Tres Delicious September 3, 2011 at 22:18 #

That’s a wonderful chowder. I love the color.

30. Chris September 4, 2011 at 03:48 #

Those simple recipes are the best. I’ve made a few crab based soups, basically a one pot meal.

Chris

31. Elyse @The Cultural Dish September 4, 2011 at 08:59 #

This looks delicious! Definitely a great fall recipe!

32. Russell at Chasing Delicious September 4, 2011 at 12:37 #

Beautiful shots. I love corn and this soup looks incredible! Yum!

33. michele September 4, 2011 at 18:49 #

The ingredients are simple and easy to gather. I hope to try this soon.

34. Lisa September 5, 2011 at 00:15 #

Mardi, I have to try this one, it sounds delicious and simple.

35. Ashlae September 10, 2011 at 00:11 #

I love corn soup, but I haven’t had a good bowl since I became vegan – I need to fix that! Also, love the idea of French Fridays with Dorie.. I may have to join. Except I’m pretty sure the French are against baking/cooking without butter.