Breton breakfast galette: A Mushrooms Canada guest post

I am absolutely thrilled today to announce my first of two guest posts for Mushrooms Canada!  Last year, I wrote for The Mushroom Channel and so I am excited to continue developing recipes with mushrooms this year!

As those of you who read this blog on a regular basis will know, one of my favourite things to do when I travel is collect recipe ideas of dishes I discover on my travels so that I can recreate them at home. Today’s post was inspired by our trip to Brittany last Christmas where we consumed an inordinate number of crêpes and galettes. Ahem…

One of my goals since that trip has been to recreate the fabulous savoury buckwheat galettes we enjoyed.  Head on over to Mushrooms Canada for a fabulous new breakfast idea recipe!  Bon appétit!

** Don’t forget to check out next month’s “Forever Nigella” event – I’m hosting a street party in honour of the Royal Wedding and would love for you to join me. All the details here.

34 Responses to Breton breakfast galette: A Mushrooms Canada guest post

1. Mushrooms Canada March 29, 2011 at 09:29 #

Looove mushrooms for breakfast, and I can’t think of a better way to enjoy them than in this savoury buckwheat galette!
    Delicious recipe Mardi!
    - Brittany

2. Jen @ keepitsimplefoods March 29, 2011 at 09:59 #

All of these look phenominal! Love this type of meal.

3. Sanjeeta kk March 29, 2011 at 12:23 #

Never tried mushroom for breakfast before, this is a lovely idea to do so. Hope the wedding prep is going well.

4. Damaris @Kitchen Corners March 29, 2011 at 14:43 #

I agree with Jen, the commentor above. Everything does look wonderful. Warm mushrooms on the morning is my favorite.

5. mademoiselle delicieuse March 29, 2011 at 18:54 #

Although we can get savoury crepes in Sydney, I’ve yet to come across a proper one made with buckwheat flour. Been intrigued to be able to try one of these since seeing one being cooked – of all places – on a Rick Stein show!

And errr, yes, wedding prep??

6. Chris's Gourmet Fashion March 29, 2011 at 19:23 #

The royal wedding I presume? What lovely photos. I’m not much of a breakfast person (I know … not so good etc) … but I do love a Sunday Brunch and these look like just to right type of food for that!

7. Liz March 29, 2011 at 20:24 #

I could certainly eat mushrooms for breakfast, lunch and dinner….your galette looks like a good place to start :)

8. sara @CaffeIna March 29, 2011 at 20:46 #

In my college years I used to go to a restaurant owned by an old friend of my boyfriend. Their chef was French and his specialty were crepes and galettes. I had so many and loved them all but now I guess I’ll have to try to make them myself. thanks for sharing!

9. Mark March 29, 2011 at 22:46 #

It’s amazing that most people think of crepes only as thin pancakes that are filled with fruit. Thank you for posting some of the variety and diversity a crepe can be.

10. Mr. Neil March 30, 2011 at 06:03 #

Simple “wine” pick for these: cider. Wonderful Breton or Normandy cider.

Nice and dry, don’t think sweet, and don’t think Strongbow. Actually had one last week, beautifully crisp and effervescent, only 2.8% ABV. A nice change.

11. Paula March 30, 2011 at 09:07 #

I’ll take two of the salad one! They all look wonderfully delicious.

12. Beth Michelle March 30, 2011 at 15:13 #

Perfect breakfast! Yum

13. Amelia from Z Tasty Life March 30, 2011 at 15:29 #

i love the nuttyness of the buckwheat flour and it makes for crepes that look so wonderfully lacey.
    Like you, when I travel, I “hoard” recipe ideas :)

14. Magic of Spice March 30, 2011 at 22:40 #

Everything looks delightful, and I so love mushrooms :) Wonderful guest post!

15. penny aka jeroxie March 30, 2011 at 23:25 #

It is mushroom season over here… perfecto!

16. Zo @ Two Spoons March 31, 2011 at 05:12 #

Mmm, love that buckwheat galettes are so healthy but so delicious – they have a wonderful crispness at the edges, much more so than regular crepes. They’re super easy too (I have a recipe on my site if you’re wondering how to make them), and so versatile. Can’t believe I haven’t had mushrooms with them yet…next on my to do list.

17. Zo @ Two Spoons March 31, 2011 at 05:18 #

Argh just finished reading the post and found your recipe at the mushroom site. Clearly you are way ahead of me XD

18. Conor @ Hold the Beef March 31, 2011 at 08:11 #

You know what is something awesome about buckwheat galettes apart from the taste and texture and reminiscing qualities? They’re gluten free and thus eatable by me at the moment!

Also… I tested mushrooms yesterday in my reintroduction phase and had no reaction! WOO!

So, when are you coming over to make these for me to celebrate? We can have a mushroom party. I’ll start making mushrooms costumes now.

19. Jason Phelps April 4, 2011 at 20:33 #

Nothing wrong with any of these dishes. I love vacation food!

Jason