Kitchen Bootcamp 4: Sandwiches

This month for Kitchen Bootcamp, Jen challenged us to try something different with sandwiches.  It just so happens that I was challenging myself to make a recipe featuring the fabulous Fred’s Bread and trying to recreate a very special dish from way back when I was just discovering my foodie tendencies.

Let’s talk for a minute about Fred’s Bread though shall we?

One of my earliest memories of moving to Canada 10 years ago was searching for decent baguette.  I had been living in Paris for nearly 6 years and had become accustomed to good bread being readily available on every corner.  My first few weeks in Toronto, I despaired.  At some point, I discovered Fred’s Bread.  I remember the first time I found it I was so excited to find “real bread” that I bought a baguette and another loaf, excitedly planning a wine and cheese dinner with the baguette I proudly toted home pretending I was back in Paris.  Problem was, my eyes were bigger than my tummy and by the time I had polished off the baguette, I couldn’t tackle the other loaf.  I find that’s always the problem buying good bread – one gets greedy and then one is faced with the age-old dilemma of what to do with the day-old bread.  This particular recipe used Fred’s Yellow Flax Bâtard but you can use any day old loaf.  I like the texture of the flax seeds in this one.

This is my version of a grilled cheese and tomato sandwich for adults.  It’s based on a dish I first ate at the legendary Uraidla Aristologist restaurant (in the Adelaide Hills, where I was fortunate enough to dine a few times when I was way too young to really appreciate it).  According to the State Library of South Australia website, The Aristologist was an innovative restaurant using fresh local produce ‘Tuscan style’ in the Adelaide hills in the 1980s and early 1990s, with chef Jennifer Hillier and Michael Symons, who wrote the interesting One continuous picnic: a history of eating in Australia (Adelaide: Duck Press, 1982).

What I love about these is that they look way more complicated than they really are.  Anything that looks like I have spent ages in the kitchen when I haven’t is a winner dish in my book!

Did you like my first entry for Project Food Blog?  If you did, please head on over here and vote for me before 6pm PST/9pm EST Thursday September 23rd.   I have the most fabulous post planned for Challenge 2 and it would be a shame to not be able to post it because I did not advance to the next round…

(if you are not a member of Foodbuzz, you can still vote too – you just need to sign up, only takes a few clicks)

As a thanks for reading, I’m also hosting a $75 CSN Stores gift card giveaway – click here to enter before September 26th.

66 Responses to Kitchen Bootcamp 4: Sandwiches

1. Jenn September 22, 2010 at 05:29 #

What an awesome appetizer idea! So creative Mardi!

2. Saltyseattle September 22, 2010 at 06:10 #

Omg- so cool! I’m in love with this idea, M- you’ve done it again!!

• Mardi@eatlivetravelwrite September 26, 2010 at 14:23 #

Well you know, some of us can’t be all molecular and creative so we work with what we have! ;-)

3. Shea M. @ Blissfully Unrefined September 22, 2010 at 06:13 #

I think I just drooled a little on my keyboard… excuse me…

Ok, now that I’m cleaned up – WOW! Once I have access to an oven again… I’m actually having a little party this weekend for some friends, and this recipe is making me consider taking a friend of mine up on her offer to move the party to her place just for access to her oven!

4. RavieNomNoms September 22, 2010 at 08:38 #

Grilled cheese and tomato has to be one of my top 5 favorite things of all time. I love the way you did this! So unique and it looks delicious!

5. Daydreamer Desserts September 22, 2010 at 08:50 #

These look fantastic, so creative… totally out of the box!

6. Belinda @zomppa September 22, 2010 at 09:05 #

Nice “sandwich!” When are restaurants going to pick up on your creation? These are sophisticated and tasty – way to impress dinner party guests.

7. Conor @ HoldtheBeef September 22, 2010 at 09:28 #

How deceptive – they look like a block of tasty crusty bread with a little melted cheese on top, but there is goodness hiding within! Cheesy goodness, the best kind.

• Mardi@eatlivetravelwrite September 26, 2010 at 14:20 #

See now, I totally thought of you when I was making (and eating) these! A little bacon would make them even more perfect!

8. Lori @ RecipeGirl September 22, 2010 at 09:48 #

I love how you did some thinking about this one. What a creative way to present a grilled cheese!

9. Wendi @ Bon Appetit Hon September 22, 2010 at 10:30 #

Mardi, very creative use of ingredients. These would be great finger food at a party.

10. Jen Laceda September 22, 2010 at 10:43 #

First, thanks for sharing Fred’s bread with your readers. You know I’m heading there soon, right? I’d love to try out this recipe. My little one will enjoy all that cheese and those funky shapes!

11. Jen Laceda September 22, 2010 at 10:45 #

Oh no, their website is “proofing”. Where is Fred’s Bread, if you don’t mind me asking?

12. Lauren @ Healthy Delicious September 22, 2010 at 11:05 #

These are so fun! I love the little tomato-y surprise inside. I could see myself popping a bunch of these in my mouth without really thinking… might be dangerous!

13. A Canadian Foodie September 22, 2010 at 12:10 #

Brilliant: both the recipe, and the story. This is what I love. Personal stories attached to the food you create. And, what a creation. Love the idea. Truly, a labour of love to be made for that special occasion. It would be a very tasty amuse bouche, too. I will definitley make this. And, I learned about your 6 years in Paris that I would have forgotten, too… I was wondering if you were from the Adelaide area… our Slow food Convivium Chair is from their (love her sweet accent) and our best friend’s brother lives there.
    Valerie

14. les 2 gourmands September 22, 2010 at 12:20 #

what a beautiful idea !!! looks great !!

15. Roxan September 22, 2010 at 12:54 #

What creative sandwiches! I wonder how many of them I could eat….

16. foodies at home September 22, 2010 at 13:15 #

What a fun idea and a nice little surprise buried inside! Grilled cheese is literally my favorite sandwich!

17. Andrea@High/Low September 22, 2010 at 16:44 #

I was already salivating when I saw your intro photo, and then got really excited when I read through the post! I love how it uses day old bread and the surprise filling inside!

18. Evan @swEEts September 22, 2010 at 20:15 #

How creative! When I saw the first picture I was so confused, but then seeing that there are little cavities in each cube of bread- I love it! Now I just need to find some good bread!

• Mardi@eatlivetravelwrite September 26, 2010 at 14:17 #

They work well with any sort of bread but yes, like anything, the better your ingredients, the better the final product!

19. Anna Johnston September 22, 2010 at 21:39 #

Mardi these look incredible. We’re off to a night picnic tonight, I’m going to make these. Wow.., they’ll go down a treat. I’m with you about producing stuff that looks like I’ve spent hours in the kitchen :)

• Mardi@eatlivetravelwrite September 26, 2010 at 14:17 #

Oh me too. When it looks like I have spend 4 times as long as I really did in the kitchen, I call it a success!

20. Nancy@acommunaltable September 22, 2010 at 21:47 #

These are absolutely adorable!! Clever, clever, clever!! I have some parties coming up and these would be perfect little appetizers!!
    Also, loved your PFB 2010 entry – made voting so easy!!

21. ClassicKitchenTwist September 22, 2010 at 22:48 #

Love this!

22. penny aka jeroxie September 23, 2010 at 04:06 #

How adorable! These are such great little party foods.

23. mademoiselle délicieuse September 23, 2010 at 06:47 #

Ooh, easy party canapes! Ones that don’t involve pastry even =D

24. Laura September 23, 2010 at 08:41 #

What a great idea! I imagine that the filling will just burst into your mouth when you bite in and completely surprise your guests. Looks delicious – thank you for sharing!

25. BusyMOM @ Easy Appetizers September 23, 2010 at 13:06 #

Gosh! What a fantastic twist on the grilled cheese and tomato sandwich – one of my favorites, by the way! Great idea and will be trying it soon. The bread sounds fabulous!

26. Barbara Bakes September 23, 2010 at 15:29 #

Such a fabulous. I wasn’t expecting them to be stuffed. I’m looking forward to your #2 challenge!

27. kristin @ delishliving September 23, 2010 at 16:13 #

wow. could you please come and make those for me, right about now? they look ahhhh-mazing. beautiful too. nice work!

28. Jen @ My Kitchen Addiction September 23, 2010 at 20:42 #

Thanks for submitting this for Kitchen Bootcamp… I am loving your take on grilled cheese. Absolutely stunning!!

29. The Enchanted Cook September 24, 2010 at 01:37 #

These look utterly amazing! I love that they are small bites, yet very rich and satisfying. Beautiful!

Best,
    Veronica

• Mardi@eatlivetravelwrite September 26, 2010 at 14:14 #

Actually I would like to make them even smaller – they are more like two bites – but it’s hard to keep the shape when they are smaller.

30. Jenny Nguyen September 24, 2010 at 04:35 #

Nice post. I never think to do something different with a sandwich!

31. Debby September 24, 2010 at 10:42 #

Congratulations on your top 9!

32. torviewtoronto September 24, 2010 at 10:54 #

looks delicious
    voted

33. Adelina September 24, 2010 at 12:05 #

WOWWWWWW!!!! Bread, Cheese and tomatoes and I am in heaven. This is absolutely the best grilled cheese I have witnessed!

34. Anne September 26, 2010 at 16:25 #

cute! these are like miniature versions of chinese coffin bread. looks delicious..

35. Thomas Andrew September 16, 2011 at 09:50 #

Wow…these look amazing. Just bookmarked this recipe so I can try it out at my next party. These look like perfect finger food!!

Trackbacks/Pingbacks

1. Tweets that mention Kitchen Bootcamp 4: Sandwiches -- Topsy.com - September 23, 2010

[...] This post was mentioned on Twitter by Mary Luz Mejia, Oberlin Food, Mardi, brittany jones, Mardi and others. Mardi said: Kitchen Bootcamp 4… http://goo.gl/fb/ZzkbJ #bread #cheese #eat #kitchenbootcamp #recipes #tomato #tomatoes [...]

2. Kitchen Bootcamp Roundup – Sandwiches | my kitchen addiction - October 1, 2010

[...] always been a fan of the grilled cheese sandwich with tomato.  I love this version of the Grown Up Grilled Tomato and Cheese sandwich from eat. live. travel. write. It’s the kind of grilled cheese you’d be happy to serve at a party… And, [...]