Bon Appétit RSVP Redux September – Blueberry cornmeal pancakes

For this month’s RSVP Redux submission, I took advantage of having a bunch of people over for brunch one weekend to make pancakes. I love pancakes and always order them when I am out but at home, when it’s just the two of us, I don’t make them. Cos, you know, we would just eat them ;-)

This recipe might become my “go to” pancake recipe.  You could substitute pretty much any berries for the blueberries if they are not in season, and I love the fact that there is hardly any sugar or fat in these.  The cornmeal gives the texture that I find pancakes are often lacking – in short, they were fabulous.

I really enjoyed these pancakes -they were light and fluffy and not stodgy at all.  The cornmeal somehow makes them substantial so a couple of small ones with syrup and berries is enough for a light breakfast, with a serve of bacon for good measure, of course!  It’s lucky I don’t always have buttermilk on hand as they are dangerously easy to make….

52 Responses to Bon Appétit RSVP Redux September – Blueberry cornmeal pancakes

1. Alicia September 5, 2010 at 08:54 #

Yummy! Hmmm – I might need to invite myself over for breakfast some Sunday morning. These look delicious. And you’re right – pancakes for plus 3 is more likely to happen than for 1 or 2 people. I’ll give you an excuse to make them again. :-)

2. Barbara | VinoLuciStyle September 5, 2010 at 09:42 #

Oh, I never let the lack of buttermilk stop me! I actually keep a dry mix in the fridge but think you can add a either vinegar or lemon to milk and let it set a bit for a buttermilk result so no excuses…you can make these anytime!

Love the sound of the buttermilk and cornmeal combined…with any berry…yum (of course it’s breakfast time here right NOW and once again I’m heading for the comfort of Cheerios but wishing I had some blueberries!).

3. torviewtoronto September 5, 2010 at 10:57 #

so healthy colourful and delicious

4. Anna Johnston September 5, 2010 at 10:58 #

Nice little recipe this. Thanks for sharing.

5. Conor @ HoldtheBeef September 5, 2010 at 11:15 #

Just perfect. I don’t often make pancakes for the same reason, but when you have awesome Canadian maple syrup in the pantry then it’s hard to resist the calling.

I love how you’ve got that little bit of crispiness to the edge – I guess the cornmeal would help with this too?

I was just thinking – ahh, Sunday tomorrow, I can make up a batch for my housemate and I (or ‘supervise’ her doing it) but then I realised that it’s actually Monday tomorrow. Double disappointment.

• Mardi@eatlivetravelwrite September 6, 2010 at 20:26 #

Oh how disappointing :-( And yes, the cornmeal made the edges just a little crispy the way I love them!

6. Jason's BBQ Adventures September 5, 2010 at 11:49 #

Great looking pancakes. Love the cornmeal and blueberries!

7. Kristi Rimkus September 5, 2010 at 12:53 #

I’ve seen cornmeal pancakes before, but I’ve never tried making them myself. Sounds like a great way to use the fresh blueberries in my garden. Yum!

8. Michelle | Bleeding Espresso September 5, 2010 at 12:54 #

Looks *amazing*…leftovers? ;)

9. Sharlene (Wheels and Lollipops) September 5, 2010 at 13:14 #

These look amazing ! We love pancakes but I don’t make them for the simple reason that I would eat way too many :) I’m curious on the addition of the cornmeal – did it add a sweet taste to it?
    I need to see where I can find cornmeal here to give this a test run. Your photo is amazing.

• Mardi@eatlivetravelwrite September 6, 2010 at 20:25 #

Thanks! No, I don’t think it adds sweetness to the flavour – just a little fluffiness and texture.

10. Belinda @zomppa September 5, 2010 at 15:12 #

How can I come over for some?

11. Baking Serendipity September 5, 2010 at 23:45 #

These pancakes look amazing! I am an absolute pancake lover, but have never made them with cornmeal before. I definitely need to give your recipe a try! Thanks :)

12. Camala - CC Recipe September 6, 2010 at 00:17 #

I think these pancakes look great, I am all for easy and Guess what? I do have buttermilk, do you want me to share:) I will have to give these a try, I am intrigued with the addition of cornmeal!

• Mardi@eatlivetravelwrite September 6, 2010 at 20:25 #

I think you could probably substitute regular milk too but the buttermilk gives a lovely flavour and texture…

13. Kim (Liv Life) September 6, 2010 at 01:22 #

Pancakes are my daughter’s most requested breakfast. We have not used this much corn meal in the past, but I’m eager to give it a try! Thanks for planning our breakfast tomorrow!

14. penny aka jeroxie September 6, 2010 at 03:28 #

Lovely recipe and your photos are amazing! I just want to eat it all!

15. Evan@swEEts September 6, 2010 at 09:01 #

Yum! We love making pancakes and are always looking for new flavors and recipes :) I can’t wait to try these! I’m excited about the cornmeal!

16. Tonya @ What's On My Plate September 6, 2010 at 10:24 #

I had similar pancakes for breakfast yesterday! We added a but of lemon rind and juice to the mix. My fave!

17. Lorraine @ Not Quite Nigella September 6, 2010 at 10:28 #

Ooh I love the idea of adding cornmeal to a pancake recipe! These would definitely get me up in the morning! :D

18. Nutpi September 6, 2010 at 19:25 #

Thanks for sharing! I found you through Valerie and your this recipe brings new life to my traditional pancakes! I will be be back soon again!

19. cat September 6, 2010 at 21:45 #

as the weather starts to turn cooler, these look perfect for a weekend breakfast!

20. Barbara Bakes September 6, 2010 at 22:12 #

Your pancakes do look fabulous! I always order pancakes when I’m out too.

21. Lindsey@FreshAir+FreshFood September 7, 2010 at 00:01 #

I LOVE blueberries and cornmeal! I have a perfect recipe for blueberry and cornmeal scones. Now you’ve given me a recipe with one of my fav. combos that is socially acceptable to pour maple syrup all over! Woohoo!

22. Joyce September 7, 2010 at 00:18 #

HMMM!! Yum! I love pancakes and blueberries, but I always order waffles when I’m out.

23. RavieNomNoms September 7, 2010 at 12:28 #

these pancakes look absolutely awesome! I love blueberry pancakes and your cornmeal pancake recipe looks so good!

24. Evelyne@CheapEthnicEatz September 7, 2010 at 14:04 #

My wkd guest had asked for pancake the night before and in the morning I checked my feeds. Saw your recipe and I blueberries. All I have to say is that my guest had a foodgasm per bite !

25. K a b l o o e y September 7, 2010 at 15:46 #

These look AWESOMELY delicious. And the idea about adding lemon zest and juice sounds great too. Oh, and I apologize for not asking — how is your hand?

• Mardi@eatlivetravelwrite September 8, 2010 at 20:44 #

Hand is definitely getting there but need to practice patience and also left handed typing until it is truly better.

26. Jen @ My Kitchen Addiction September 7, 2010 at 21:30 #

I saw these pancakes in the magazine… Yum! Wish we still had fresh blueberries!

27. Katie September 10, 2010 at 11:47 #

My pancakes flopped, they didn’t hold their shape, and weren’t crunchy nor fluffy.

28. SMITH BITES September 15, 2010 at 16:20 #

Mardi ~ I made these too and LOVED them! They will be on regular rotation at our house! FAB-U-LESS!!

29. Megan September 18, 2010 at 09:28 #

Best combo ever! A happy post….!

30. Judy September 18, 2010 at 11:29 #

Beautiful photo. Congrats on the Top 9!

31. Bonnie September 30, 2010 at 09:45 #

The recipe didn’t work for me, either. They were too runny and didn’t hold their shape.

• Mardi@eatlivetravelwrite September 30, 2010 at 09:52 #

That’s weird… Did you let the mixture sit for a while before you used it? Mine thickened up a lot during that time…

32. Diem January 22, 2011 at 16:26 #

Today I made Martha Stewart’s version – ingredients looks the same, except this recipe uses all buttermilk.

Mine were runny too, but I made buttermilk with lemon juice and nonfat milk. I think I will try again with real buttermilk, or substitute using whole milk. Even though they were runny, they tasted great.

Or I might just try this recipe with all buttermilk. Looks great!

• Mardi@eatlivetravelwrite January 23, 2011 at 19:24 #

Hmmm I am not sure why they would be so runny – perhaps do what I suggested earlier and let the mixture sit for a bit before you use it?

Trackbacks/Pingbacks