Café des Musées (Paris)

If David Lebovitz likes it, you pretty much can’t go wrong, that’s my line of thinking.

On our way back from Brittany, we had one short afternoon in Paris and Alicia had been hankering for a meal at Café des Musées, upon the recommendation of a friend (well, and Mr Lebovitz!).

It’s a simple neighbourhood place, indeed we were the only tourists there.  Actually, correction, we were the only tourists who stayed to eat.  A few groups straggled in during our lunch and quickly left upon realising that this was not your typical bistro fare (i.e. croque monsieurs etc…) – something our slightly crazed waitress reminded up of a few times…

No, it’s not your typical tourist bistro – it’s elevated way above the greasy fare many tourist ingest during their time in Paris believing it’s real French food.  The local crowd was testament to this.

Though the menu offered a lot of interesting choices (game meats and such), Neil and I were suffering from a steack-frites withdrawal, not having eaten our usual fill of this on our trip (you know, since we were too busy eating crêpes and cheese and the like…).

Beautiful hand-cut fries dipped in the rich bearnaise-mayonnaise sauce that actually came with the steak!  Crunchy on the outside and fluffy on the inside, this was your perfect plate of frites.

And the steak. Simple but oh so satisfying.  Served with vinaigrette-dressed greens. Yum!

A tranquil spot, just a couple of blocks away from the Place des Vosges and the bustling rue de Rivoli, I highly recommend this place if you are looking for an authentic Paris bistro experience where you can mingle with the locals (and pretend to be one, if but for an hour or two…)

Café des Musées
49, rue de Turenne, 75003 Paris
Tél: 01 42 72 96 17

37 Responses to Café des Musées (Paris)

1. Jamie March 16, 2010 at 08:30 #

Oh who doesn’t need an address like this in Paris where the food is this good? I know we do! Husband keeps saying he gets lousy food whenever he tries a new café or bistro for lunch. Thanks, am jotting this one down!

2. Jen Laceda March 16, 2010 at 09:26 #

Who wouldn’t trust the great Mr. Lebovitz’s recommendation? Thanks for sharing lovely images of the cafe and your meal there. Paris Forever!

3. Kristi Rimkus March 16, 2010 at 10:05 #

As usual, your pictures are terrific, and the food looks fantastic. I’m a big fry fan!

4. Tangled Noodle March 16, 2010 at 10:51 #

Ah, Paris! Believe me, when I finally make it onto French soil, this will be a must-visit. Steak-frites dipped in Béarnaise sauce sounds heavenly!

5. High/Low March 16, 2010 at 11:30 #

Oh, I want to be there NOW!

6. Lauren March 16, 2010 at 17:21 #

oooh, that looks so good! I adore a good steak frites – when it’s done right it’s so spot on! I would have dipped my fries in the bernaise too ;)

7. Robin @MyMelange March 16, 2010 at 19:03 #

You can never have too many good bistro recommendations for Paris. Thanks for sharing :)

8. Conor @ HoldtheBeef March 16, 2010 at 19:55 #

I fear an authentic Paris bistro experience is not in my near future so I’ll just ogle your frites for a little (ooh la la).

9. 5 Star Foodie March 17, 2010 at 09:04 #

Bookmarking to visit when we’re in Paris this summer!

10. Cajun Chef Ryan March 17, 2010 at 12:15 #

Certainly enjoy dining in places that cater to the local clientele, and not tourists. Having said that, we are planning to be “tourists” in Paris in just a little over three years and are starting to compile a list of lists, and the dining list now has a new entry. I am sure we will feel chez nous at Café des Musées in Paris.
    Thank you so much for this great tip!

Regards,
    CCR
    =:~)

• Mardi@eatlivetravelwrite March 18, 2010 at 05:58 #

Oh I am the first to admit that I love being a tourist sometimes (was just in New Orleans for a few days and was unabashedly touristy!!!) but sometimes you just want to blend into the anonymity of a place populated by locals. If you need some tips re: Paris, let me know!

11. Mr. Neil March 17, 2010 at 15:08 #

Ah yes, gorgeous refueling meal after the crazed Amazing Race – style drive to get the car back on time! :-)

12. Fuji Mama March 17, 2010 at 16:25 #

I LOVE this cafe! And I’ve eaten those steak frites…phenomenally good! You have good taste. :)

13. Cat March 17, 2010 at 19:17 #

oh my, that looks good. and really, bearnaise mayo should be de rigeur with fries like that.

14. penny aka jeroxie March 17, 2010 at 22:17 #

Paris Paris…. So many places that I will love to go to.

15. A Canadian Foodie March 18, 2010 at 09:27 #

Paris – and now New Orleans? Are you just posting where you have been in the past – or are you travelling all over all of a sudden? I love Paris… and almost everywhere I have eaten there is a great experience. Thanks for this idea.
    XO

• Mardi@eatlivetravelwrite March 18, 2010 at 11:25 #

I guess since you’re a new reader you won’t know that I just got back from Paris and Brittany in January and am slowly making my way through my posts from those two weeks. Normally I try to finish posting one trip before I go on another but my blog transfer slowed things down a bit.

16. Megan Gordon March 19, 2010 at 01:35 #

Girl, you guys got around! Amazing. I have never been to New Orleans and am dying to go. Kind of tossing the dice between there and Nashville for a little summer food trip…definitely keeping your post in mind in the case that the former wins out.

Unrelated, I have a treat to send you! And it’s been strangely difficult to make it to the post office before they close lately. But should get it off next week for sure…Happy (almost) Friday!

17. Christine @ Fresh Local and Best March 19, 2010 at 12:42 #

This looks like a very cute cafe, I wish I’d visited when I had the chance. Next time!

18. shayma March 28, 2010 at 08:51 #

this place is v close to my parents’ place in the Marais-a gem and they serve Poiré ! you have a very lovely blog, lots of gorgeous photos.

19. Tori September 27, 2010 at 06:14 #

Fabulous! Just moved to London from Sydney and stalking down options for dinner on our first eurostar jaunt over to Paris. I think this is it! NB, great great blog. Congrats.