In the mood for soup

(ELTW is a finalist in the “Best New Blog” category at the Foodbuzz Food Blogger Awards. Click here to vote for me!)

Boo! I am not well. I seem to finally have succumbed to being exposed to kid germs for a month after three months in summer where I came into contact with nary a germ. My head feels like it’s about to explode and I have a horrendous cough. My voice is not sure whether it’s coming or going. Fantastic, as I am currently blogging on a Greyhound bus (yay free wifi!) en route to Buffalo, NY, to present at a conference. But then Neil is coming to join me on Saturday and we’re going to the Anchor Bar for real Buffalo wings and then we’re off to Vineland, Ontario for a yummy meal and a night in a B+B. No turkey for us this Thanksgiving but surely some great eats – stay tuned!

So, knowing I have a busy weekend ahead of me, I am pre-posting this. Why am I pre-posting when I feel sick? Because feeling sick made me crave SOUP. And I just happen to have a large number of pictures of exactly the soup I crave right now – yup, more pics from Laos!

We ate noodle soup pretty much every day for lunch (and sometimes for dinner). It’s a basic broth with whatever vegetables were available, sometimes chicken (for me) or other meat (for Neil) and rice noodles. Each place gave you their version of chili paste to make it spicier (errr… that would be for Mr Neil!) but I was content to eat it as is. Just look at how beautiful it is:

Sometimes the soup would be pretty plain:

you would get the option to add extras:

Greens.

and chilies:

One day, en route to Phonsavanh, the weather outside looked like this:

and we stopped in a tiny town for lunch. I had this:

and it totally brightened the day!

We missed our daily soup so much that we had to go on a hunt for it a few weeks ago! And boy, could I go for a bowl of it right NOW!

(Edited to add: The Hyatt Buffalo had a poor selection of soup on their room service menu so I ended up with a Cobb Salad. Nice but didn’t quite cut it for me when I was craving soup!)

24 Responses to In the mood for soup

1. Unplanned Cooking October 11, 2009 at 11:33 #

I love soup in this weather! Have a wonderful trip, and feel better soon.

2. pierre October 11, 2009 at 11:55 #

salut !
    j'espere que tu vas mieux en tous cas ces petites soupes sont extra !
    tu connais mon blog, aors viuens faire un petit tour tu es la bienvene ! à bientôt Pierre
    ps je t'écris en français car je crois que tu l'enseignes ! Ciao !

3. Mardi @eatlivetravelwrite October 11, 2009 at 12:43 #

Unplanned – Well I still have not had my soup yet but having a good time anyway!

Pierre – c'est un plaisir de lire ton petit mot en français! Oui je l'enseigne et j'ai aussi vécu à Parie pendant près de 6 ans dans les années 90 (2ième, quartier Montorgueil). Cette ville me manque…. J'irai faire un tour de ton blog…

4. TasteHongKong October 11, 2009 at 13:55 #

Take care and enjoy your trip.

5. Conor @ HoldtheBeef October 11, 2009 at 13:56 #

You poor thing, feeling sick on a bus… get well soon! And good luck with your presentation :)

6. Steve Best October 11, 2009 at 14:08 #

We hope you feel better soon and are able to enjoy your trip and the B&B. We felt the same way here – yesterday was a soup day for us too!

7. Divina Pe October 11, 2009 at 14:11 #

Lovely soups. Get well soon. Warm hugs to you from the Philippines. :)

8. High/Low October 11, 2009 at 14:35 #

Hope you feel better soon! The soup looks yummy.

9. Cathy October 11, 2009 at 15:41 #

Congrats on your nomination. I've already voted for you. Hope you feel better soon.

10. Fresh Local and Best October 11, 2009 at 21:25 #

I love that clear broth noodle soup. It's just the perfect meal to have on a cold fall day.

11. penny aka jeroxie October 11, 2009 at 21:40 #

I am feeling sick as well. Yes, I need some comfy soup to perk me up.

12. Mardi @eatlivetravelwrite October 11, 2009 at 22:02 #

Taste Hong Kong – thanks!

Conor – well at least I got two seats to myself on the bus! Noone wanted to sit next to me when I strategically coughed!!!

Steve, Divina, High/Low – thanks! Soldiered on to do comprehensive wine tastings today…

Cathy – thanks for the vote!

Fresh Local – it's the perfect meal for anytime, I think!

Penny – feel better! Virtual hugs!

13. Simply Life October 12, 2009 at 00:39 #

Oh this looks so perfect and comforting!

14. Mum M October 12, 2009 at 04:45 #

Get well soon. You obviously need your Mum's chicken soup.
    Have a good weekend.

15. MaryMoh October 12, 2009 at 07:38 #

Hope you hv fully recovered. Soup is always so comforting and warming. As long as there's soup, cooking noodle soup can be very easy and quick. This dish look very inviting. I do need one now to keep me warm.

16. janet October 12, 2009 at 15:28 #

Mmm, soup is wonderful!

17. whineaux October 12, 2009 at 18:29 #

I love soup so much! I was looking at my blog and how many recipes I have — half of them are soup or braises!

18. Mardi @eatlivetravelwrite October 12, 2009 at 21:00 #

Simply Life – it was!

Mum – obviously!

Mary – getting there!

Janet – yup!

Whineaux – I think I could live off of cereal and soup for the rest of my life I love them so much!

19. Cheap Ethnic Eatz October 14, 2009 at 18:53 #

Wow, funny the Daring Cook's challenge hit close to home from your last trip. Feel better soon. i am the end of that cld too.

20. Mardi @eatlivetravelwrite October 14, 2009 at 19:02 #

Cheap Ethnic Eatz – I just joined DC so look forward to participating next time hopefully!

21. The Best Family October 19, 2009 at 23:03 #

i crave soup this time of year, sick or no. we had a soup dinner with friends over the weekend with potato, leek and cheddar (my friend jill's) and apple butternut squash (steve's) – yum!

22. chandani April 16, 2010 at 14:38 #

Where can i find the recipe for those wonderful soups.

23. Lauren @ Delicateflavors July 19, 2010 at 08:50 #

The beef noodle soup you had in Lao looks so much like the Vietnamese Pho soup. Do you know if that is the Vietnamese soup or something uniquely Lao’s?