Les Petits Chefs – Food Revolution Week 9

The boys have been begging me to make a sweet treat and I relented this week with Jamie’s fruit scones. I had already seen them made with great success, notably by Rachael (La Fuji Mama)’s daughter who is so much younger than the boys in my cooking club and they have been on my list for a while.  After last week’s “blood gushing” incident, Liam was especially pleased that this week’s recipe did not involve any cutting for him!  In fact the recipe took no time at all – the boys had made the scones, cleared the lab, had a snack (you know, the leftover raisins and apricots!), and eaten one scone in about 50 minutes.  Gotta love that!

It has to be said that the boys were a little heavy handed with the blending of the butter and flour – it was definitely over worked (but a good lesson for everyone!) and we talked about how the scones would have been lighter and fluffier had they been able to stop playing with the flour mixture.

There was no lack of enjoyment, that’s for sure!

I would totally make these again (a little less heavy handed with the butter and flour, of course!) because I just never realised they were so easy.  I also love that the only sweetness comes from the fruit and whatever topping you choose – a perfect sweet treat without being terribly bad for you.  The boys were very proud of their efforts and each week, I become more proud of them too!

29 Responses to Les Petits Chefs – Food Revolution Week 9

1. Meeta May 26, 2010 at 05:52 #

this looks sensational – just love sweet treats made by kids LOL!

2. Julie M. May 26, 2010 at 06:10 #

Those look delicious and easy! Maybe I’ll have to try them out with my boys as well.

3. penny aka jeroxie May 26, 2010 at 06:37 #

I just love what you are doing. Wish I could do the same here…

4. A Candian Foodie May 26, 2010 at 09:33 #

There is nothing more important than teaching our young how to cook delicious, nutritious and economical food from the simplest and REAL ingredients. YUM.
    🙂
    Valerie

• Mardi@eatlivetravelwrite May 27, 2010 at 06:47 #

Yes it’s amazing how some things are so simple. The boys are learning that which is a valuable lesson, I think!

5. k a b l o o e y May 26, 2010 at 12:39 #

Wow, those DO sound easy and tasty as well. Glad Liam emerged unscathed…

6. Lauren @ Health yDelicious May 26, 2010 at 18:47 #

Yum! I lov e scones, but I never really think to make (or buy!) them. These looks especially good with the jam! The boys are turnign into quite the little chefs!

7. Daydreamer Desserts May 26, 2010 at 18:59 #

Sounds like the boys enjoyed making these as much as eating them!

8. Lorraine @ Not Quite Nigella May 26, 2010 at 22:24 #

Mardi, this is a gorgeous way to get kid’s involved. I really like your les petits chefs series. And how good does the jam look when it’s oozing! 😛

• Mardi@eatlivetravelwrite May 27, 2010 at 06:45 #

Yes the boys were deliberately squishing the scones together so that the jam would all squish out! And thanks for your kind words!

9. Cat May 26, 2010 at 23:09 #

a perfect kid-friendly recipe! even super picky sophia would eat these if she got to help make them. thanks for sharing all of these great recipes!

10. betty May 27, 2010 at 01:25 #

oh these look great albeit messy with the jam but its the taste that matterz :O)

11. Gourmantic May 27, 2010 at 04:17 #

Thinking of my foodie nephew here, I bet they would have loved making it AND eating it!

12. 5 Star Foodie May 27, 2010 at 08:44 #

Scrumptious scones! Sound so good with raisins and dried apricots!

13. Jen @ My Kitchen Addiction May 28, 2010 at 19:11 #

I love scones of all sorts, so I’m sure this recipe would be a big hit with me. Your little chefs did a fantastic job, too!

14. scatteredmom May 29, 2010 at 23:51 #

I have planned to make this very recipe this week, with dried cherries. I can hardly wait! They look delicious, and every recipe we’ve made from our Food Revolution cookbook has been really yummy. I’m glad your little chefs had fun! This week my big chef (Jake is going through a growth spurt again, Lord help us) made the cracking burgers and smoothies. They were GOOD.

15. Lori @ RecipeGirl June 1, 2010 at 12:03 #

LOVE scones for weekend breakfast- your version looks delicious!

• Mardi@eatlivetravelwrite June 1, 2010 at 12:05 #

Cheers – they weren’t the lightest ones ever but the fun the boys had making them was priceless!