International Incident Party – Noodles

When Penny announced the date of the International Incident Noodle Party, little did I know that I would be bringing a guest.  Conor from Hold the Beef was going to be in town the weekend prior and we were going to be able to make noodles together!!! Well, that’s what we thought, until there really was an “international incident”!

Oh yes, we had grand plans to actually make our own noodles, you know from scratch and everything.  Conor even had plans to make some dessert noodles. She tends to dessertify everything in case you didn’t know, like last month’s dumpling event.

Enter United Airlines whose messing with Conor’s travel plans (and THEN taking her suitcase and not returning it for a day whilst they were clearly looking for the elusive “hammer pants” that Conor so foolishly joked about on Twitter – in joke, sorry!) meant that she was pretty much exhausted when she arrived after about 16 hours of travel which should have been at least half that.   Making noodles from scratch was obviously the furthest thing from her mind when she arrived, just like making bread from scratch for Daring Cooks this month was the furthest thing from mine.

Indeed, when I woke her from a sound sleep the next morning with the “very good news ma’am that your suitcase is arriving in Toronto as we speak” (in fact the suitcase apparently underwent another series of inspections – those hammer pants were in demand – before it eventually arrived at our house about 8 hours after it landed) and told her that Penny had tweeted a sneak peek of her noodles from scratch, Conor’s reaction was “Of course she has!’ with an ever so slight roll of the eyes ;-)  (just kidding Penny – we love you!)

Later that day, after brunch, a little cheese tasting, a little walk, some World Cup time and a nap, Conor emerged to supervise the kitchen goings on, namely the noodle preparation.  I had picked two simple noodle recipes that I had had my eye on for a while – Ellie of Almost Bourdain’s take on Momofuku’s Ginger Scallion Noodles:

and Kate at Savour Fare’s take on Steamy Kitchen’s Garlic Butter Noodles with Shrimp:

There’s not really much to say about the prep of these dishes – both were done within about an hour with minimal prep and fuss.  Both will definitely be making an appearance on our dinner tables throughout the summer.  The Garlic Butter Noodles with Shrimp, in particular, were superb due to the use of pasta infused with lemon oil.  The citrusy notes paired well with the slight sweetness of the shrimp.

So there you have it, a bit of a lame contribution to this month’s Party but at least we made it!  And our contribution could have been a lot worse. You know, like this:

(image courtesy of British Sweets website)

Check out the rest of the party goers’ offerings here:

57 Responses to International Incident Party – Noodles

1. 5 Star Foodie June 19, 2010 at 21:48 #

Those dishes look terrific! How fun that you and Conor had a chance to cook for the noodles party together!

2. Anh June 19, 2010 at 22:19 #

The best thing is to cook together with a friend!! And the noodle dishes are so yum!!

3. Ellie (Almost Bourdain) June 20, 2010 at 00:00 #

Your noodles look good, Mardi!! Thanks for the shout out. Glad you like the recipe :)

4. Christine@Christine's Recipes June 20, 2010 at 00:29 #

Mardi, I believe you felt great and a sense of achievement when you’ve made the noodles after a long winding road.
    Your noodles look really good and attractive.

5. penny aka jeroxie June 20, 2010 at 07:39 #

AT least both of you had fun together! I wish I was there…. heh. And I am glad that both of you came with a cooked dish!

Still waiting for hammer pants.

• Mardi@eatlivetravelwrite June 22, 2010 at 06:50 #

We should all have a Skype party one of these days – but the time zones might make that difficult too… And yes – I am still waiting to see the hammer pants also!

6. Evelyne@CheapEthnicEatz June 20, 2010 at 09:38 #

Conor is cursed on this trip, the planktons are limiting us to only 1 hangout night instead of two while in Montreal.

Well I think your contribution looks really good anyways. Very yummy and the flavors are up my alley.

7. Trix June 20, 2010 at 09:47 #

I am laughing at that Pot Noodles photo, how hilarious!! Fab post and a great contribution to the party! Poor Conor!!

8. Shirley June 20, 2010 at 12:00 #

Well you had a mini party if the 2 of you were together. Hope someday we could all actually be together for a party too.

9. Special K June 20, 2010 at 12:52 #

I think I would love to be invited to these suckers! I am hosting a Gimmie your Stuff exchange over on my blog!

• Mardi@eatlivetravelwrite June 22, 2010 at 06:47 #

Anyone can join in on the International Incident parties – just keep an eye on Penny’s blog (link in post!)

10. Andrea@High/Low June 20, 2010 at 14:03 #

hahaha! (love that last photo!) It’s so nice to see this post after hearing Conor and your accounts over dinner! As always, your beautifully-lit photos are fab (and making me hungry as I wait at YYZ for my flight to LGA). Fingers crossed that Air Canada doesn’t lose my luggage (sans hammer pants).

• Mardi@eatlivetravelwrite June 22, 2010 at 06:46 #

Aw thanks Andrea – you know photography is the one thing I struggle with on the blog so your comment means a lot!

11. Belinda @zomppa June 20, 2010 at 15:00 #

Homemade noodles…wow!!

12. The Housewife June 20, 2010 at 21:24 #

Sounds like so much fun and such a great experience! I’m glad that you finally got your luggage back.

13. Julie M. June 20, 2010 at 21:48 #

I’m seeing a lot of homemade noodles tonight. It must be the season for them. Yours look delicious! Glad you friend made it in safely and you were able to enjoy some quality time together.

14. Jo @ secondhelping June 20, 2010 at 22:23 #

A very international incident indeed with the two of you together – what fun, even without the hammer pants!
    Both dishes look wonderfully tasty and simple, now if you can just send some to Melbourne for me, I will have it for lunch.

15. Cherrie June 21, 2010 at 01:29 #

I love the colour of your dishes. Spo vibrant. AND I love the story of the travelling “hammer”pants.

16. The Cilantropist June 21, 2010 at 02:23 #

The Garlic Butter Noodles with Shrimp look especially delicious and it sounds like you had a lot of fun making everything! :)

17. mademoiselle délicieuse June 21, 2010 at 08:09 #

Because, you know, noodle-making is not the same without hammer pants… In fact, every cook should wear them!

So cool that you got to meet each other though =)

• Mardi@eatlivetravelwrite June 22, 2010 at 06:43 #

Yes it was short but sweet, Conor’s visit. Seriously lacking in hammer pants wearing though!

18. merry jennifer June 21, 2010 at 09:03 #

Congrats on making FoodBuzz top 9 with this great post! What a gorgeous dish!

19. sensiblecooking June 21, 2010 at 13:15 #

Noodle is one of my favorite things to eat. Fast easy and so yummy. Those photos are so tempting.

20. The Duo Dishes June 21, 2010 at 18:31 #

Oh the noodles! Each dish looks good.

21. Magic of Spice June 22, 2010 at 21:11 #

Looks great…So glad you did not end up binging “Pot Noodle”, so funny:)

22. Cat June 22, 2010 at 22:27 #

garlic butter noodles with shrimp? what’s not to love? mmmm . . .

23. Tracey@Tangled Noodle June 23, 2010 at 22:02 #

Despite all the trials and tribulations that Conor went through, it sounds like you had a great time together and these two noodle dishes show it! I’ll take a bit of both, please.

24. Jen @ My Kitchen Addiction June 24, 2010 at 17:13 #

Despite all of the difficulties, those noodles look wonderful. Now I’m rethinking what I was going to make for dinner!

25. Conor @ HoldtheBeef June 30, 2010 at 03:41 #

So, how can we get together for the next incident? There’s gotta be some conferences somewhere we can both go to? Damn the bounds of space and time!

Wish I could have been more assistance instead of blissfully napping away while you did all the hard work, but I think I definitely pulled my weight in the eating department. Impossible not to go back for seconds of these, even with a belly full of vege pate.

Oh hammer pants, hammer pants, one day you will be mine. We will boogie through the kitchen together, it will be glorious.

Trackbacks/Pingbacks

1. International Noodles Incident Party - Homemade Ban Mian with minced pork and mushrooms | Addictive and consuming - A Melbourne food blog - June 19, 2010

[...] Mardi – Eat, Live, Travel, Write – Ginger scallion & Butter noodles [...]

2. Tweets that mention International Incident Party – Noodles -- Topsy.com - June 19, 2010

[...] This post was mentioned on Twitter by eatlivetravelwrite and eatlivetravelwrite, eatlivetravelwrite. eatlivetravelwrite said: International Incident Party – #Noodles http://goo.gl/fb/y0nRJ #internationalincident #eat #recipes [...]

3. Nyonya Curry Laksa – International Noodles Incident Party « Musings of a Wannabe Gourmand - June 20, 2010

[...] Mardi – Eat, Live, Travel, Write – Ginger scallion & Butter noodles [...]

4. Round up #4 - International Noodles Incident Party | Addictive and consuming - A Melbourne food blog - June 21, 2010

[...] Mardi – Eat, Live, Travel, Write – Ginger scallion & Butter noodles [...]

5. International Noodles Incident Party ~ Noodle Kugels « secondhelping - June 21, 2010

[...] Mardi – Eat, Live, Travel, Write – Ginger scallion & Butter noodles [...]

6. Too cool for school - July 13, 2010

[...] OK, so perhaps “our” contribution is a bit of a stretch, given that all the assistance I offered was to remain asleep whilst Mardi did all the hard work, though I did manage to emerge in plenty of time to socialise over a few drinks and eat the fruits of her labour. [...]

7. International Noodles Incident Party : Off the spork - August 12, 2010

[...] Mardi – Eat, Live, Travel, Write – Ginger scallion & Butter noodles [...]

8. International Eggs Incident – Poached Eggs and Bloody Mary Breakfast - September 25, 2010

[...] with my next contribution involving sleeping through the cooking of but then waking up to eat Mardi’s contribution to the noodle party. Next thing I knew I had completely missed the next two parties – tacos and scones – so [...]

9. Incidental Cream Cheese Noodles « Cheap Ethnic Eatz - June 18, 2012