Les Petits Chefs – Food Revolution Week 10

Liam spotted it as he was flipping through the Food Revolution Cookbook a few weeks ago.

“Can we make “a cracking burger” Mademoiselle?” was the plea. Why of course Liam, if something looks good to you, I am happy to help you make it!  The boys got chopping and prepping and got their mise en place organised (with some – ahem – gently coaxing from yours truly!).  We added portobello mushrooms in place of the red onions the recipe calls for for an added nutritional boost:

Then we got cooking:

And packed our Tupperware with goodies to take home:

Doesn’t this look like an awesome burger slider?  I opted for making mini burgers because I am totally in love with the mini burger buns from President’s Choice – and we all know how much I love the President, right?

Another fabulous recipe from Mr Oliver – 40 minutes start to finish (including some “breaks”!).  Love that the boys saw how easy it is to make real burgers from scratch!  Quote of the week comes from Oliver and Charles (combined): “Oh Em Gee – Outstanding!!!” 😀

33 Responses to Les Petits Chefs – Food Revolution Week 10

1. Shea M. June 2, 2010 at 05:18 #

I only found your blog recently (Twitter is a wonderful thing!) and I have to say I love these Les Petits Chefs posts! I don’t think enough kids are learning the joys of cooking, so bravo for showing them the light. I would love to do something like this myself when I’m back in the States. I love teaching, and I love food, what can be better?

• Mardi@eatlivetravelwrite June 3, 2010 at 06:49 #

Well my boys think it would be cool to learn French through cooking…. Working on that one… 😉

2. penny aka jeroxie June 2, 2010 at 07:03 #

That is just great. I love these little burgers.

3. Belinda @zomppa June 2, 2010 at 07:24 #

I just read this in my new book (thanks to you!) and was intrigued by this one. Awesome to know it tastes as good as it looks!

4. miranda June 2, 2010 at 07:36 #

Saved. I love Jamie Oliver…I can’t wait to give it a try. =)

5. Stella June 2, 2010 at 10:43 #

Oh my…they look delicious! I want to try them out!

6. Mr. Neil June 2, 2010 at 11:14 #

Alas, I noted no Tupperware ™ of samples made it home for evaluation….

7. Laurie McRae June 2, 2010 at 12:29 #

Great “slider”/burger recipe. My Mom used to use very similar ingredients when she made burgers/meat loaf, but sub’d crushed bran/grape nut flakes for crackers. Adds a wonderful, nutty flavor & more fiber/nutritional value. 🙂

• Mardi@eatlivetravelwrite June 3, 2010 at 06:46 #

Yes that sounds interesting but baby steps, right? First of all identify that burgers don’t come from a box, then a little bit down the line, you can intro the really healthy hidden ingredients! 😉

8. Teresa B June 2, 2010 at 14:10 #

The burgers/sliders taste as good as they look! The PC mini-burger buns were the perfect compliments to the burgers. We warmed up the ensemble with a quick steam and the “buns” were refreshed but not at all soggy.

Mardi, thank you for showing the boys that home cooking is a delicious and realistic alternative to dining out. We have looked forward to Tuesday night every week since the first week of Les Petits Chefs. We will need to adjust our dinner menu when Les Petits Chefs takes a break for the summer. break.

• Mardi@eatlivetravelwrite June 3, 2010 at 06:45 #

Teresa – you know how much fun I have with the boys every week – quite frankly, I don’t know what I will do when Petits Chefs is over in 2 weeks!!! I hope the boys continue to practice in the kitchen over the summer!

9. Laura @ SoCal Sustenance June 2, 2010 at 14:25 #

This are killer! Love all the fresh veggies in there.. sounds like a fantastic kick off to summer dish

10. Dawn@CocinaSavant June 2, 2010 at 14:30 #

i love all of your posts, but i look forward to these so much. glad no one had any accidents this week!

11. Magic of Spice June 2, 2010 at 19:12 #

Love all the pics:) This is one handsome slidder!

12. Julie M. June 2, 2010 at 20:57 #

Those look yummy! I love that you made them mini as well. With a mini I don’t feel guilty if I eat two.

13. Casey Angelova June 3, 2010 at 00:55 #

I love what happens when I ask my dinner to decide what we will have for dinner. She usually makes good choices, but they revolve around chicken, tomatoes and potatoes. My girls are still a bit young but they love helping in the kitchen and the best mixers and putting stuff in girls I know!

14. Conor @ HoldtheBeef June 8, 2010 at 15:14 #

Phew, no finger chopping. How good it is for them to see that you can make your own fast food at home, and those baby buns are pretty cool!

• Mardi@eatlivetravelwrite June 9, 2010 at 07:00 #

We might have some of those baby buns in the freezer when you come this weekend! And yes, I love that they can make their own burgers!

15. Jen @ My Kitchen Addiction June 8, 2010 at 18:02 #

Those sliders look great! I love making burgers and haven’t made them in a while. Now I’m craving them!!

16. Scatteredmom June 10, 2010 at 00:18 #

Oh I LOVE those burgers. They make great meatballs, too if you want to try going that route. Jake made them and they were a hit!

• Thippi December 8, 2011 at 11:10 #

Awesome idea, thanks!

17. Thippi December 8, 2011 at 11:08 #

Your sliders are super cute! Will have to make this recipe again…as meatballs too 🙂