French Fridays with Dorie: Quinoa, fruit and nut salad

I was pretty excited to see this Quinoa, Fruit and Nut salad (p138) on the list of recipes for French Fridays with Dorie because it totally reminds me of when I lived in Paris.  Not only did I first discover quinoa there, but this type of salad is exactly what I ate for dinner many, many nights when I got home from work around 8pm.  Oh, it’s not as bad as it sounds – I was working the classic “35 heures” a week but because I was teaching in an extra-curricular program, the classes started at 5 and didn’t end until 7, meaning I got home too late to eat a huge meal. Often I would just snack on cheese and wine but sometimes I would pick up a salad from a “traiteur” (like a high end deli with prepared foods) – and often, they would involve quinoa. So this was a nostalgic dish for me.

Dorie says the recipe serves 4 but we got at least 6 serves out of this – 4 main courses and 2 side dishes – which was perfect during a busy (and tiring!) first week back at work. A great dish to make a big old pot of to ensure you have a healthy side dish throughout the week.   Filled with dried fruit and nuts and lightly dressed with a little lemon, mint and olive oil dressing, this was light and flavourful but filling (without weighing you down).

It’s very versatile and you can pick and choose the add-ins and even switch up the dressing if you like. It can be served warm or cold, on greens, as a side or a main. Plain or topped with a dollop of plain yoghurt or sour cream.  Pretty, tasty and easy. Thanks Dorie!

Want to join French Fridays with Dorie? Join here.

French Fridays with Dorie participants do not publish the recipes on our blogs, rather, we prefer if you purchase Around My French Table for yourselves (trust me, you definitely want this book!) which you can do here on Amazon or Amazon Canada.  Go on, treat yourself – join us in 2011!  There are some GREAT recipes coming up in April!

** Don’t forget to check out next month’s “Forever Nigella” event – I’m hosting a street party in honour of the Royal Wedding and would love for you to join me. All the details here.

84 Responses to French Fridays with Dorie: Quinoa, fruit and nut salad

1. Liz April 1, 2011 at 07:09 #

Beautiful photos, Mardi! My family didn’t even want to sample this, so lucky me got to eat this for lunch ALL week :)

2. Adriana April 1, 2011 at 07:24 #

I agree this was a fantastic light dinner! Love how the the colors of the fruit and pistachios pop out of the quinoa.

3. Belinda @zomppa April 1, 2011 at 08:00 #

Great meal! Especially when you don’t feel like cooking or eating something complex.

4. Megan April 1, 2011 at 08:24 #

I love quinoa and this recipe looks delicious!

5. RavieNomNoms April 1, 2011 at 08:32 #

Fantastic meal! I love Quinoa…I could eat it in so many ways and be completely happy.

6. Beth Michelle April 1, 2011 at 09:20 #

I love Quinoa (I made some today for lunch!) This looks so fabulous! Lovely photos

7. Denise@There's a Newf in My Soup! April 1, 2011 at 10:35 #

Pretty presentation, with your colors and greens! I will definitely be making this throughout the summer for lunches at work.

8. Sis. Boom. April 1, 2011 at 10:58 #

I turned it into snacks as lettuce wraps all week. So I was glad, like you, to get many many servings out of it. A keeper!

9. K A B L O O E Y April 1, 2011 at 11:25 #

I’ve been on the fence about quinoa: I love it in theory but not in life, so maybe the photos will push me over to the other side. I should try the recipe because it does sound good. With couscous I’d be sold, but I never seem to cook quinoa enough, or something. Could quinoa be my macaron? (Go ahead, laugh at me… )

10. Allison April 1, 2011 at 11:52 #

OMG I love this recipe even more now that I know it reminds you of your time in Paris! If I wasn’t going for Perogie Night at the Ukrainian Hall tonight I’d be all over making it tonight! Love, love, love!

11. Angela@RecipesFromMyMom April 1, 2011 at 12:25 #

I’m on the fence with KABLOOEY – might become my favorite statement of the day! – because I haven’t had a quinoa dish I like yet. Love couscous too but they are so not similar. Your photos are tempting though…

12. Kate@Diethood.com April 1, 2011 at 13:05 #

I was surprised that this salad was so filling … I was full and satisfied! Great salad.
    That bowl up there looks delicious!

13. Speckle of Dirt April 1, 2011 at 13:09 #

I love the Arugula that you used, probably added just that hint of spice for the dish. I love all the variations everybody seems to be doing…red Quinoa, plumping the fruit with water before mixing, etc. I’m getting ready to make this for lunch and am looking so forward to it. I love Quinoa!

14. Cher April 1, 2011 at 13:35 #

Very lovely photos. This was definitely a multi-use dish! (I think I eeked three days out of it).

15. Mr. Neil April 1, 2011 at 14:38 #

Ahem. There’s no photo of the best meal adaptation from this…as a salas with greens AND our home-made smoked salmon. YUM!

16. Jessica of My Baking Heart April 1, 2011 at 14:44 #

It looks wonderful! Just finished a nice little bowl of this for lunch! :)

17. Vicki @ WITK April 1, 2011 at 15:04 #

Such an interesting combination, the fruit and quinoa. Love the idea and your photos!

18. sprinkling of sugar April 1, 2011 at 15:39 #

Quinoa gives me hope that there’s alway something new in this world…i mean to think a superfood i only found out about a year or so ago…what will arrive on the food scene next?

• Mardi@eatlivetravelwrite April 12, 2011 at 21:10 #

Well quinoa has been around for a very very long time, right? So odd that all of a sudden it’s popular!

19. Tricia S. April 1, 2011 at 17:52 #

So lovely. I really enjoyed your photos as well as your memories of late meals in Paris. One of the best parts of FF’s is to get this little glimpse into Parisian life while we all plan (with fingers crossed :) to get back there as soon as we can. I also agreed about how great fixing a big batch of this versatile dish is. I am planning to be using it for some brown bag creations myself. Nana did not enjoy it quite as much, but still enjoys the adventure each week :)

20. Christina April 1, 2011 at 18:35 #

I like all the different ways you styled your quinoa! Did you use pistachios in this? I love those in everything.

21. Kathy April 1, 2011 at 19:53 #

Your salad looks lovely! Wonderful photos! We really enjoyed this salad and you’re so right….very filling but not heavy! Glad you enjoyed it, too!

22. Mary April 1, 2011 at 21:05 #

I love these photos..they are so good that it makes me want to make the salad again asap.

23. wasabi prime April 1, 2011 at 21:36 #

YUM – and congrats on getting it on Tastespotting! Beautiful salad photo! And thanks for leaving such a sweet note on my post!!

24. Beth (OMG! Yummy) April 1, 2011 at 21:42 #

Congrats on getting your photo on TasteSpotting. I’m behind as usual on my cooking so I think this will be breakfast tomorrow morning. Your photo convinced me that it will work. And I found an usual herb plant today called orange mint which sealed the deal for me.

Love your story about Paris. Hoping this quinoa recipe will make me a convert!

25. Paula April 1, 2011 at 23:02 #

Great photographs of the variations Mardi! I’ll bet you are delighted to finish your first week back. Hope you enjoy a restful weekend!

26. Sylvie @ Gourmande in the Kitchen April 2, 2011 at 05:44 #

This sounds like a great salad, I love when dried fruits are mixed into salads like these.

27. Jan April 2, 2011 at 08:30 #

Looks great. The photos are super!
    Would you believe me if I told you that I (embarrassed) got Around My French Table in December, but I too busy to do anything more than just skim through it! Clearly, I need to crack open that sucker :)

28. penny aka jeroxie April 2, 2011 at 09:41 #

Quinoa is just so so good! I love the sweet versions as well.

29. Priscilla - She's Cookin' April 2, 2011 at 13:05 #

Love the fruits and nuts in this quinoa salad and that it’s so uncomplicated. Looks delicious – beautiful photos! Congrats on getting on TasteSpotting!

30. MikeVFMK April 2, 2011 at 15:26 #

Mardi, this is the kind of twist on salad that I could sink my teeth in. I love the combination of fruits with quinoa and I’m anxious to give this a shot. So good!

31. Britne @ Shabbott's Habits April 2, 2011 at 19:39 #

I just recently got into quinoa and this recipe is right up my alley. You’re making me want to go out and buy that book. Also, kudos for the beautiful photos – I guess what they say is true: you eat with your eyes first, because those photos made me hungry!

32. Renee (kudos kitchen) April 2, 2011 at 20:46 #

Your completed dish looks so pretty and mouthwatering Mardi! I’m so jealous that you can return to Paris in your mind with this dish. I’ll have to live vicariously through you with these recipes and your recollections. Very pretty post.

• Mardi@eatlivetravelwrite April 12, 2011 at 21:03 #

I can’t wait to get back to Paris this summer. In the meantime, I will enjoy salads like these.

33. Betsy April 2, 2011 at 20:49 #

Great photos! I agree with you, this recipe has so many possibilities. It’s more of a jumping off point than a fixed formula. I know this will make a lot of appearances at my house this summer.

34. Yuri April 2, 2011 at 22:28 #

I can’t decide which the 3 photos I like the most :)

35. Lana April 3, 2011 at 01:25 #

I love when food takes us back to the past:) It’s the best time-travel machine! I can envision the Paris nights with wine, cheese, and maybe this salad. Heaven!
    I can’t believe you “made” the salad pose three times:) The photos are gorgeous:)

36. Cristina April 3, 2011 at 01:45 #

Hi Mardi: You’ve inspired me to start using more quinoa. Beautiful, vibrant and fresh looking dish. Just lovely (& fantastic photography)! Congrats on a well deserved Top 9!

37. make my day April 3, 2011 at 22:20 #

good looking, healthy and versatile! perfect. love the idea of making a big pot and having it there for the week. nice. cheers kari

38. Mary @ Delightful Bitefuls April 4, 2011 at 01:42 #

That is beautiful! I can’t wait to give it a try!

Great blog!

Mary xo

39. The Food Hound April 4, 2011 at 07:56 #

I love your blog! I, too, love to eat, travel and write. Oh, and walk the Doberhound :) Love Dorie’s cookbook- I got it for Christmas and I need to cook more things from it! I love the simplicity and “Frenchness” of all her recipes! I soooo envy your career as a French teacher– if I could do it all over again, that’s what I’d do! Maybe I’ll do it someday :) This quinoa looks great, and eating it with dried fruit is my favorite way.

40. StephIrey April 4, 2011 at 22:15 #

Mardi…that last shot is AMAZING! Totally beautiful. Thanks for sharing your French memories…so nice to get a glimpse of your former life. PS…watched your video entry…very nicely done. Good luck!!

41. Terra April 5, 2011 at 16:52 #

I loved this recipe too!! You pictures are so beautiful:-) I love hearing about your time in France, sounds so amazing! I really can not wait to go someday, my one dream:-)
    Take care,
    Terra

42. Junia @ Mis Pensamientos April 7, 2011 at 13:42 #

wow, i love this quinoa salad! great healthy flavorful combo!

43. Jen @ My Kitchen Addiction April 7, 2011 at 15:45 #

Lovely! I’ve been making a lot of quinoa lately… Just love it!

44. Elizabeth April 12, 2011 at 14:24 #

That looks and sounds so incredibly yummy!!