Mactweets: Happy “Jour du Macaron” 2011!

Yes, it’s the Jour du Macaron again! I can hardly believe it’s been a year since the famous FIVE batches of macarons it took to get one pretty picture last year! Time flies when you are having fun, I guess!

I was planning on posting my Mactweets for this month today and yesterday, set about organising my ingredients in a methodical fashion, trying to will them to be a success.  Truth is, macs take probably 15 minutes from the time you start mixing your ingredients and really, apart from being finicky, they are relatively straighforward.  The finicky part you can’t control, though I am a big believer in baking being affected by your mood and I have not much felt up to cooking lately so was concerned that would play into the success of these babies.  Still, I followed my faithful recipe, that mostly works, and tried to think positive thoughts of dainty feet.  I divided my batter and made two colours – I was planning on strawberries and cream and lemon meringue macarons, in keeping with the “fruity” Mactweets theme.

Well apparently, one should not bake with vertigo.

Because my first tray looked most definitely like they have been suffering the same virus as me, LOL!

You gotta laugh, otherwise you would be in tears, right?

Strangely, I had a little of the lemon batter left and just for the heck of it, I piped out some much smaller macarons

Yup, some definite feet action happening there! I did a little jig (in my head, because otherwise I might just fall over!)

I filled them with buttercream into which I mixed some lemon zest and they were really good. The flavours were delicate and not overpowering, just like their little feet!

Thank you, oh gods of the macaron for blessing me with these few precious macs this month.  I literally would have cried had they ALL failed.

And as my mum said on the phone last night “Oh well, at least you have enough for a photo, right?” Had to laugh – even she “gets” that about the blog.  And someone Neil will be having a nice little treat in his lunch bag every day this week ;-)

As a little treat on this special day for macs,  I am including a link to a  fascinating video about how Ladurée make macaronsclick here. It’s all in French but even if you don’t understand, the visuals are interesting. I wanna work there though I bet those bakers never eat a macaron. They are literally surrounded by thousands of them!

77 Responses to Mactweets: Happy “Jour du Macaron” 2011!

1. Cooking Rookie March 20, 2011 at 17:45 #

Those tiny baby macaroons look amazing ;-) I bet they taste even better because they are so small, you get to appreciate them more becuase of the scarcity :-P.
    And the colors are so vibrant and happy.. Great job!

2. Nicole @ Making Good Choices March 20, 2011 at 18:35 #

I get the feeling my baking doesn’t turn out as well also when I’m in a mood. Glad you got some picture worthy! :)

3. Susan March 20, 2011 at 18:51 #

Nice, Mardi! I have cried over ruined baking! I have been dying to try making Macarons – the lemon ones look lovely. Get better soon!

4. Linda Makiej March 20, 2011 at 19:37 #

what a great post!!

5. Belinda @zomppa March 20, 2011 at 19:42 #

I adore these colors!! You are brilliant – how can I convince you to send me some?? =)

6. Liz March 20, 2011 at 20:01 #

So glad you didn’t have to cry this time…I hate when things flop!!

7. Elyse @The Cultural Dish March 20, 2011 at 20:09 #

These are so gorgeous! Love the color and the fact that you made lemon ones. All of these macaron posts are making me hungry…

8. sara @CaffeIna March 20, 2011 at 20:38 #

I didn’t know it was the Jour de Macaron. Not that I would have made them anyway. I do believe that baking is affected by our mood too. And sure I can’t make macarons when I’m in a hurry, considering that last time it took me 3 days of attempt to get them right :) As you say, you’ve got to laugh about it. At the end, though, your lemon macarons look fantastic!

9. Deeba March 20, 2011 at 21:49 #

Yay you Mardi girl. Your stories and mine run in similar vein, and I had a very similar experience this time too. Strange how mac-emotions can connect us across nations and oceans! Gorgeous pictures and flavours that win my heart! Thank you for bringing the zest to MacTweets!

10. StephIrey March 20, 2011 at 22:04 #

Mardi…GORGEOUS! Even your vertigo suffering macs are gorgeous. I don’t know how you do it! I’m in awe!!

11. Nancy@acommunaltable March 20, 2011 at 22:23 #

It is so very reassuring that experienced macaron makers have the occasional fail – it makes my consistent failures seem not so bad!!

I completely agree with your assessment that baking is affected by mood – or at least that’s my excuse and I’m sticking with it!!!

Hope you are back to 100% soon!!!

12. Claire @ Claire K Creations March 20, 2011 at 23:05 #

Well done! See all was not lost. I bet the first lot still tasted good. I love the flavour ideas.

13. Michelle T March 20, 2011 at 23:07 #

Glad that a few turned out! When I’m not feeling well I always turn to baking – and some days it just doesn’t work! So here’s to happiness on days that it does!

14. Corinne @ Gourmantic March 20, 2011 at 23:50 #

Lucky Neil! They look delicious and I wouldn’t be able to stop eating since they’re mini-macarons!

15. Sylvie @ Gourmande in the Kitchen March 21, 2011 at 04:18 #

You know the great thing about macarons is that even when they don’t turnout looking so pretty they usually still taste pretty good! I can’t believe I missed Macaron Day!

16. karen @ ladymacaron20ten March 21, 2011 at 05:40 #

OMG… you’ve made my day! I had such a giggle when I saw your virus infected macarons;) I still have the odd bad day and I think you’re absolutely right about our moods affecting our macarons. At times, I’ve also thought I’ve lost my macaron mojo but then when I’m feeling better I get it back again. I’m glad you’ve got a sense of humour because that’s what keeps us going. Awesome post!!!! And, btw I still think the mini ones look really cool.

17. Pauline March 21, 2011 at 06:58 #

They look lovely. At least you are honest, I have an outtakes page too, it’s good to share problems as well as successes :-) hope you feel better soon, a sweet treat should help.

• Mardi@eatlivetravelwrite March 24, 2011 at 17:50 #

I think it’s important to show that it’s not that easy to make them for most people, yes.

18. Jenn March 21, 2011 at 07:38 #

Your failed ones look better than my best attempts! Even battling illness, you are a macaron queen!!

19. Brian @ A Thought For Food March 21, 2011 at 08:38 #

Look at how beautiful those are! I’m anxious to try my hand at macs… must get over my fears.

20. Jen @ keepitsimplefoods March 21, 2011 at 09:56 #

Impressive! I’m far too intimidated to try macarons, kudos to you!

21. Paula March 21, 2011 at 10:12 #

These minis are adorable and just the perfect colour for Spring!

22. bridget {bake at 350} March 21, 2011 at 11:49 #

Your baby macarons are precious….and such a pretty yellow!

23. Vicki @ WITK March 21, 2011 at 11:52 #

So true about “at least a few turned out!” Just need a pretty picture :) These look wonderful and the flavor sounds perfect.

24. Barbara Bakes March 21, 2011 at 15:25 #

Love the gorgeous colors. And the nice thing with macs is they still taste great even if they don’t look perfect.

25. jean March 21, 2011 at 15:34 #

Your macarons are lovely. Even the vertigo-stricken batch looked good enough to eat. :-) Glad you had a few turn out so nicely–they look like they’re bursting with lemon flavor. :-)

26. MikeVFMK March 21, 2011 at 20:57 #

Look how fabulous they look! Each time you post a new mactweet it tempts me to try my hand at them. Well done, Mardi!

27. Ethan March 22, 2011 at 00:10 #

Joyeuese jour de macarons a toi! So foolish question, but if they don’t turn out well, do they still taste good?
    I’m glad some of them worked out for you, for the blog and your sanity:)

28. Katie March 22, 2011 at 00:28 #

I have certainly had my share of fails, I know that feeling! That’s usually about the time that I just start eating the filling by the spoonful. ;-)

I am having trouble with a good strawberry filling for macs; what were you going to use as your strawberries and cream filling?

29. Lora March 22, 2011 at 04:43 #

I have turned out several batches of macarons that could be kissing cousins to yours above. But the few yellow ones are lovely and the color..yummm.

30. K A B L O O E Y March 22, 2011 at 11:06 #

So sorry to hear that you are still reeling. I’ve had vertigo and it’s annoying, to say the least. It is terrific to read this whole account, so at least there is an upside to having macarons as unsteady on their feet as you: a terrific, funny post. You could have easily hidden the wobbly little guys from us and just shown those gorgeous shots of the lemon beauties, but I for one liked this account.

• Mardi@eatlivetravelwrite March 24, 2011 at 17:45 #

Oh I like to show my not so great ones because it might make people feel better if theirs don’t work out!

31. Jamie March 22, 2011 at 11:40 #

LOL! As I slipped my tray in the oven today I found myself praying “I just need enough perfect ones for the photo!” I love it when the family finally gets it, too. And your tiny ones are adorable and so pretty and I love the flavor. And I forgot it was Jour du Macaron!

32. Kulsum at JourneyKitchen March 22, 2011 at 12:07 #

LOL you are funny! Dare I say my first macaroon experience looked exactly like that I never tried again? I should I think. But one thing is for sure – they still tasted great and I’m pretty sure the same was the case with yours!

33. Alicia March 22, 2011 at 13:49 #

I love the baby mac resting on the lemon – great pic! They look like they tasted good. Lemon macs sound yummy.

34. Andrea Karpala March 22, 2011 at 13:51 #

Oh Mardi- this post is delicious!

35. Annapet March 22, 2011 at 15:23 #

Mardi, thanks for this lovely post! True indeed, the emotions associated with macaron-making!

I have yet to try the Italian Method.

36. Jen @ My Kitchen Addiction March 22, 2011 at 18:36 #

You have so much more patience than I do… I just can’t handle the on and off nature of macs. I haven’t tried them again since my first failure!

37. Kate @ Diethood.com March 22, 2011 at 20:44 #

Ah, they look so spring-y and inviting!!
    Reason I haven’t posted a macaron on my site is because something always goes wrong in that oven… yes, I blame the oven. They taste great, though! But don’t look good enough for a picture. :)
    My mom is a macaron expert and she always has advice…her advice has yet to work in my kitchen.

38. penny aka jeroxie March 23, 2011 at 05:54 #

can’t wait for my MAC lesson from you! woohOOooOOo

39. Joy March 23, 2011 at 11:49 #

Good job on the macaroons. They look great.

40. cat March 23, 2011 at 23:07 #

*love* the photo of the tiny mac on the lemon! hope you’re feeling better and can do that jig for real soon. :)

41. ck March 27, 2011 at 22:45 #

Gorgeous photos again. I love the colour of the little macaron. I cannot imagine making them when you aren’t feeling well, so I think you did really well. And got the shot!

• Mardi@eatlivetravelwrite March 28, 2011 at 17:50 #

Well I am glad some of them turned out – would have been devastating had none of them worked!

42. Lea April 2, 2011 at 05:39 #

They look yummy :)

43. HI Cookery April 5, 2011 at 15:43 #

Lemon macarons are tricky, aren’t they? I’ve had food flops of my lemon macarons 3x already. Sigh. At least you had some nice ones for a MacAttack photo. :-)