Mactweets July: Le Freak, C’est Chic

So the theme for this month’s Mactweets was macarons inspired by a song.  Having recently acquired edible glitter, I immediately thought I wanted to make disco-inspired “Dancing Queen” macarons.  Crazy colours, glitter, all sounds good, huh?

Alas, the kiss of death for this month’s macs was this post I wrote about my quest for the perfect macaron. Well that and the humidity were pretty much my guarantee for failed macs.  So instead of elegant disco dancing queens, I present “Le Freak” macarons.

Ah, freak out!
Le freak, c’est chic
Freak out!
Ah, freak out!
Le freak, c’est chic
Freak out!

Have you heard about the new dance craze?
Listen to us, I’m sure you’ll be amazed
Big fun to be had by everyone
It’s up to you, it surely can be done

Young and old are doing it, I’m told
Just one try and you too will be sold
It’s called ‘Le Freak’, they’re doing it night and day
Allow us, we’ll show you the way

Ah, freak out!
Le freak, c’est chic
Freak out!
Ah, freak out!
Le freak, c’est chic
Freak out!

Ah, freak out!
Le freak, c’est chic
Freak out!
Ah, freak out!
Le freak, c’est chic
Freak out!

All that pressure got you down
Has your head been spinning all around?
Feel the rhythm, check the rhyme
Come on along and have a real good time

Like the days of Stomping at the Savoy
Now we “freak,” oh, what a joy
Just come on down to the 54
Find your spot out on the floor

Ah, freak out!
Le freak, c’est chic
Freak out!
Ah, freak out!
Le freak, c’est chic
Freak out!

Credits: Edwards, Bernard (Songwriter); Rodgers, Nile Gregory (Songwriter); BERNARD’S OTHER MUSIC (Publisher); SONY/ATV SONGS LLC (Publisher)
Source: Answers.com

Yes my friends, sadly there were only a very few that made the cut (i.e. with feet) this month. But with ridiculous humidity and a house that holds both heat and moisture, there was nothing more I could do. I think my macs look like they spent a little too long at Studio 54, befitting for any self-respecting disco diva macs, right?

80 Responses to Mactweets July: Le Freak, C’est Chic

1. Jamie July 7, 2010 at 06:12 #

Brilliant! Freaky and brilliant and so 1970′s dahling! The colors, the glitter, the strobe lights the LSD – which those macs must be on – this is a brilliant rendition of that classic disco song! Great words and those feet can really dance along! Yay, Mardi! Out of failure (which, I have to say, is purely in the eye and mouth of the beholder) comes a fabulous Saturday Night at Studio 54!

• Mardi@eatlivetravelwrite July 7, 2010 at 20:03 #

Thanks Jamie – I figured they were at least post-able… The glitter covers a multitude of woes!

2. Jessica @ How Sweet July 7, 2010 at 06:43 #

Wow – LOVE them!! I especially love the bright blue ones. Too cool!

3. Ken July 7, 2010 at 06:59 #

Clever song choice. 70′s are the best … oh I love the nightlife, I love to boogie … Freakish beauty is still pretty, at least your macs didn’t all melted together like mine.

4. bunkycooks July 7, 2010 at 07:26 #

LOL! Disco balls…you are reminding me of my age! I love your post. It’s a hoot! I know all about the humidity and tough baking issues. It’s no fun.

5. Belinda @zomppa July 7, 2010 at 07:52 #

Haha! How funny…love the disco balls. Those macaroons are shakin’ shakin’ their thang. These look sooooooo good.

6. penny aka jeroxie July 7, 2010 at 08:22 #

LOVE! You are getting better and better and Ive yet to make my first.

7. Gourmantic July 7, 2010 at 08:25 #

Love them!! I really like the way the top macarOn looks, as if it’s poking its tongue out!

8. Nancy/SpicieFoodie July 7, 2010 at 08:38 #

Wow these are so cute and fun! They look so good too, great post:)

9. Anh July 7, 2010 at 09:14 #

Awesome! I think you have done a fab job! This post makes me smile! :)

10. RJ Flamingo July 7, 2010 at 09:43 #

So rad, Mardi! Love your sense of humor & style. :-)

11. Shea M. July 7, 2010 at 10:17 #

The last photo is definitely my favorite! That blue color is so rich – the macs may not have been perfect, but the colors are vivid (and really, as long as they taste good, you’ve got like, 75% right there!). Every month I see these posts, it makes me eager to get back to where I have an oven! I’ve never made macs before; you may not make it look easy (no one does) but you sure make them look fun!

12. Jen July 7, 2010 at 11:01 #

These macaroons look awesome! I’m a sucker for any sweet made with brightly colored dough and/or topped with sprinkles. Great pictures too. I love the one of the blue macaroon leaning against the glistening disco balls.

13. Andrea@High/Low July 7, 2010 at 12:46 #

I had the song pop into my head immediately after seeing your title! (That and scenes from my fave show Glee!) I think it’s amazing you were able to get any macs done with the humidity and love your photos!

14. Trix July 7, 2010 at 14:00 #

I MUST have edible glitter, I love it!!! The photos are freaky-deaky-great!

15. K a b l o o e y July 7, 2010 at 17:05 #

These colorful little morsels are like Liza and Halston after a louche night at Studio 54; looking a little less than perfect, but stylishly so. And the amazing thing to me is the food styling, esp. in that last photo with the precise focus on the macs (love the long lens look) and no wires showing. Wow!

16. Lora July 7, 2010 at 18:07 #

I LOVE these! So fun, so colorful. And brilliant styling. Definitely disco diva worthy. Ahh those Studio 54 days….

• Mardi@eatlivetravelwrite July 7, 2010 at 19:57 #

LOL – I imagine they look like people might after a night at the Studio – a little worse for wear!

17. cat July 7, 2010 at 20:09 #

i really like the technicolor turquoise ones at the end!

18. Maria Beatrix July 7, 2010 at 21:45 #

You made me dance! and drool over those macs. Fabulous!

19. Jason Phelps July 7, 2010 at 22:23 #

Way cool visuals!

Jason

20. pam M July 7, 2010 at 22:33 #

Freaky, Footless, Fancyfree and Oh so Fabulous. Nice work m Mardi.
    The blue ones were my favourite ones.

21. Conor July 8, 2010 at 02:35 #

I demand you surround all of your foods with disco balls from now on! You know you want to!

22. Jen Cheung July 8, 2010 at 03:57 #

oh my my my. that is so watering!! lovely pictures you have here. must tasted realy good :)

have a lovely day :)

jen

23. Suzie the Foodie July 8, 2010 at 05:51 #

Astounding! I LOVE them! With the summer humidity, this is actually incredibly impressive. I think you did fabulous and love how creative you were!

24. Liana @femme_fraiche July 8, 2010 at 06:26 #

In my opinion, the less perfect the dessert looks, the tastier it is (thoughts from an un-skilled lover of baking haha) Loved the post! and thanks for a new iPod song idea…

• Mardi@eatlivetravelwrite July 8, 2010 at 08:33 #

Thanks for your kind words but with macarons, less than perfect is not acceptable for real mac enthusiasts. My friends loved them though!

25. Cathy at Wives with Knives July 8, 2010 at 08:56 #

Wow, great macs. Love the intense colors you achieved and the sugar bling. I’m happy to see that the sprinkles didn’t implode them as they baked. It’s so easy to be obsessed about every little detail and the weather can make a huge difference in the outcome. Love your post.

26. Martha July 8, 2010 at 09:18 #

Too funny! Now that song is going to be stuck in my head for the 6 hour ferry ride ahead. It’s amazing how you managed with the humidity!

27. Bonnie July 8, 2010 at 11:01 #

You certainly made some great lemonade out of lemons!!! These are too fun. Right out of disco fever.

I haven’t done mine yet this challenge. It will be hard to beat yours for color and glitter.

28. deeba July 9, 2010 at 08:22 #

Oh yes indeed…FREAK OUT! You’ve hot the floor here Mardi, and I’m dazzled by your fantastic macs, lights and all. They give me fever…

29. Elizabeth July 9, 2010 at 16:27 #

Well they look much better than any macaron I’ve ever made, so beautiful with the glitter too! I love them! I give credit to all those who even try these moody desserts, so applause is in order…*clap, clap, clap*

• Mardi@eatlivetravelwrite July 11, 2010 at 09:26 #

Yes I am knida in love with the glitter I have to say! And thanks – they are so frustrating at times!

30. Andrea @ Sweet N Green July 9, 2010 at 16:58 #

Just saw your photo on Taste Spotting! Love it! Such a fun post :) Those macaroon’s look to die for!

31. Sandy July 9, 2010 at 23:50 #

I freaking love your disco divas !! So very creative and what a perfect match for the song !!

• Mardi@eatlivetravelwrite July 11, 2010 at 09:23 #

Well I kind of had to make the song match the macs, not the other way around but I think I succeeded somewhat!

32. Julie-Inspired to Write July 10, 2010 at 00:17 #

I just want to say great blog – I love the title – sort of my mantra! What else is there—eat,live, travel, write? Keep it up! Love the pics as well!

33. Kocinera July 10, 2010 at 16:53 #

Wow, these have to be the coolest macarons I’ve ever seen! The bright red one is definitely my favorite.

34. Vivian July 12, 2010 at 09:26 #

I love this Mardi! The colors are so vibrant and fun. The little disco balls are adorable too.

• Mardi@eatlivetravelwrite July 13, 2010 at 20:33 #

Thanks – Cleo (my cat) was not impressed that I was using her cat toys to style my macarons!

35. Jen @ My Kitchen Addiction July 13, 2010 at 14:02 #

So cute! I just love the macarons w/ the disco balls… Not something you see every day!

36. Magic of Spice July 13, 2010 at 19:29 #

What a fun post, and these macs are gorgeous…Love song too:)

37. Cristie July 14, 2010 at 20:03 #

Perfect mac’s for the song you choose! The glitter ball brought back some interesting memories . . . very fun post.

38. Daydreamer Desserts July 15, 2010 at 08:41 #

Another great Mac Tweet post Mardi you totally pulled it off, even if some of the macs didn’t cooperate. Loved the mini disco balls!

39. shaz July 17, 2010 at 07:19 #

Aw Mardi , they look awesome. They even have tiny feet, perfect for dancing! The glitter looks so glam on them. I tried eating edible glitter on it’s own to work out what it tasted like…nothing very much as it turned out, so disappointed :)

• Mardi@eatlivetravelwrite July 18, 2010 at 15:54 #

Yes I was disappointed that the glitter did not taste like anything either! It’s pretty though!

40. Sue July 19, 2010 at 12:00 #

You’re funny! Love your post and making the best of things(humidity)! Love the blue and pink and the glitter! Awesome:)

Trackbacks/Pingbacks

1. Tweets that mention Mactweets July: Le Freak, C’est Chic -- Topsy.com - July 7, 2010

[...] This post was mentioned on Twitter by Jamie Schler. Jamie Schler said: RT @eatlivtravwrite: #Mactweets July: Le Freak, C’est Chic http://goo.gl/fb/6y0d9 #macarons [...]