Pumpkin lamingtons for Australia Day

No, it’s not quite as exciting as last year’s “Macingtons” but this year, my Australia Day lamingtons are a nod to the food culture of North America and the love of pumpkin.

I originally made and posted these for Project Food Blog (the entry that got me eliminated – boo) and a lot of people asked for the recipe.  Whilst pumpkin and I still are not really on speaking terms, this was a successful lamington and use of pumpkin so I am happy to post this as my entry to Delicious, Delicious, Delicious’s “Reinvent the Lamington 2011″.

I actually remember really liking the texture of this cake – more like a quick bread – think banana bread – than a pound cake but this works for lamingtons, especially if it is a couple of days old.  If you’ve ever tried to make lamingtons with fresh pound cake, you’ll know what I mean – a sturdier cake is what you need.

Happy Australia Day and don’t forget to enter my RestaurantWare.com giveaway (you’re eligible wherever you live and you definitely will love these products!). Click here to read the post and enter!

(update: The contest is now closed – thanks for entering and congrats to Winnie from Healthy Green Kitchen!)

64 Responses to Pumpkin lamingtons for Australia Day

1. Jill Colonna January 26, 2011 at 05:44 #

Lamingtons look scrumptious. They remind me of my Granny’s snowballs in Scotland. This is far more Ozzie! Wonderful.

2. suchitra January 26, 2011 at 06:35 #

looks delicious and sumptuous!

3. Lael Hazan @educatedpalate January 26, 2011 at 06:45 #

I’ve never had a Lamington, I seem to have been missing something. Thank you for the introduction!

4. Liz January 26, 2011 at 07:01 #

Beautiful pumpkin gems…love the combo of coconut and pumpkin…yum!

5. Mr. P January 26, 2011 at 08:07 #

Love them! I have been waiting for somebody to do pumpkin ones. Brilliant Mardi. Well done!

6. Joy January 26, 2011 at 08:24 #

I have been a very slow convert to shredded coconut, the texture has always been a bit weird for me but I’m definitely intrigued by this. I have a pumpkin that has just been ruthless in taunting me with it’s presence. I should bake it to make it quiet.

7. Belinda @zomppa January 26, 2011 at 08:45 #

Happy Australia Day!!!!!!!! These are lovely…would love to have some!

8. Kori January 26, 2011 at 08:47 #

I’d never heard of these, but I love pumpkin and they’re beautiful! What a fun recipe. Happy Australia Day!

9. The Duo Dishes January 26, 2011 at 10:14 #

We both had lamingtons for the first time last year at the Beverly Hills’ Taste of Australia event. We’d never had one (or heard of them) before! It’s nice to see a little twist on the cakes here. Happy Australia Day!

10. Roxan January 26, 2011 at 10:40 #

I’ve never had lamington before but i’ve heard of it. Pumpkin would be delicious in it, I’m sure. :) I have a can of pumpkin leftover from the holidays, maybe it’s time for me to make some!

11. Liren January 26, 2011 at 12:00 #

What a great way to celebrate Australia Day! Love the pumpkin in it!

12. Steph@stephsbitebybite January 26, 2011 at 12:28 #

I have been wanting to make something pumpkin-y for the past few day, and now I think I found what to make! These look so yummy!! I love all the coconut!

13. Joy January 26, 2011 at 14:14 #

This looks wonderful. I love lamingtons.

14. Felice - All That's Left Are The Crumbs January 26, 2011 at 14:17 #

Nice lamingtons! They are one of my favorite cakes.

15. Kayla @ Fitterthanchoc January 26, 2011 at 15:06 #

That looks absolutely delectable ! I love pumpkins and I love lamingtons too! Wonder if I can successfully make them GF. Thanks for sharing!

16. sara @CaffeIna January 26, 2011 at 16:20 #

I remember that post….I’m glad you went back baking something with pumpkins :) I still think this twist to lamingtons is a great one!

17. Nancy@acommunaltable January 26, 2011 at 20:17 #

Happy Australia Day!!!

I am really enjoying reading posts that feature Australian food (my grandparents were born and raised in Australia!). These look delicious and manage to cover all the bases – pumpkin with cranberries AND pumpkin with chocolate!

18. Kimmy @ LighterandLocal January 26, 2011 at 20:58 #

I’ve also never had a lamington, but I think this is a fabulous and different way of using pumpkin – great job!

19. Christina January 26, 2011 at 21:13 #

These look fantastic! I love pumpkin (and most other squash) done as a sweet dish! The coconut is a nice touch!

20. Paula - bell'alimento January 26, 2011 at 21:21 #

Oh my goodness that is a party waiting to happen. Love Pumpkin!

21. penny aka jeroxie January 26, 2011 at 22:46 #

Happy Aussie Day! Love this pumpkin version :)

22. StephIrey January 27, 2011 at 00:54 #

Mardi, another beautiful post! You’re such an inspiration that I had to send you a Stylish Blogger Award via my blog. Congrats and thanks for the inspiration.

23. Jun January 27, 2011 at 02:36 #

Looks delicious and beautiful at the same time!

24. Barbara January 27, 2011 at 06:31 #

Interesting take on the lamington. I like it.

25. astheroshe January 27, 2011 at 06:34 #

I did not eat breakfast yet, and i wish i had this . It look moist and YUMMY!

26. Paris Pâtisseries January 27, 2011 at 11:07 #

You had me at “pumpkin”. Something that bite-size would get me in trouble though. I’d probably down 20 of them, thinking, “Just one more won’t hurt.” Thanks for sharing!

27. bhavani@ameanderingmango January 27, 2011 at 23:02 #

Yum ! I’m a Canadian living in Sydney and had no idea what lamingtons were until I moved down under. They’re delicious but using pumpkins makes them sound even better. I also use pumpkins in all kinds of desserts – thanks!

28. Ethan January 28, 2011 at 00:02 #

I never thought I’d see you using pumpkin again! But Australia Day is a good exception;)

• Mardi@eatlivetravelwrite January 31, 2011 at 15:06 #

Well to be fair, I didn’t make it again – I just posted the recipe ;-) Not quite there yet!

29. Jenny @ melting butter January 28, 2011 at 02:32 #

have not had lamingtons for so long! I am holidaying in Oz now and was here for Australia day…should have had one then!

30. Junia @ Mis Pensamientos January 28, 2011 at 10:24 #

this looks delish! congrats on top 9 :)

31. Jenny (VintageSugarcube) January 28, 2011 at 13:48 #

Congrats on Top 9!! Those cakes sure brought back memories of when I quit my job 10 years ago and spent a month in OZ!! And I have to say, the pumpkin sounds ahhmazing. Kudos to YOU!!

32. Jen @ My Kitchen Addiction January 28, 2011 at 15:34 #

Yum! I love all things pumpkin… These look great.

33. Tami February 1, 2011 at 17:52 #

Darn……..knew we forgot something to go with the prawns, crab and beer!! Oh well, my excuse is, we only arrived back from five weeks in NZ the day before…..and I’m sticking to it.

34. Conor @ Hold the Beef February 3, 2011 at 04:25 #

Hooray, glad at least one of us did the lamington reinvention this year! I was too busy living it up at the tennis, la di da ;)

Delicious, Mardi! And Happy Straya Day to you!

35. Johanna GGG February 7, 2011 at 21:48 #

these look lovely – found them via your nutella lamingtons but much prefer pumpkin version – though I must protest that in my Australian childhood I ate pumpkin almost every day and still eat it regularly so it is not just Americans who love their pumpkin

• Mardi@eatlivetravelwrite February 8, 2011 at 19:58 #

Well you must be much much younger than me because in the 70s, the only pumpkin was butternut squash ;-)

36. Sam February 7, 2011 at 23:33 #

So i’m confused. I really want to try these but I have a question. In the ingredient list; 1 1/2 c cake and pastry flour sifted. So is it 1 1/2 c of cake flour and 1 1/2 c pastry flour to make 3 total cups or a total of 1 1/2 flour?

Thanks

37. budfog April 15, 2011 at 01:47 #

Wonderful! it looks nice and easy,thank you!

Trackbacks/Pingbacks

1. Tweets that mention Pumpkin lamingtons for Australia Day -- Topsy.com - January 26, 2011

[...] This post was mentioned on Twitter by Fresh and Foodie, Matt French. Matt French said: I'm partial to Pavlova. RT @eatlivtravwrite: It's #Australia Day! Have a #Lamington! http://bit.ly/fkk60Y #fbz [...]

2. Re-inventing the Lamington | He-Eats - February 5, 2011