On Monday February 27th 2017, join me in celebrating the fifth annual National Cupcake Day which benefits Societies for the Prevention of Cruelty to Animals (SPCAs) and Humane Societies across Canada. Originally launched by the RSPCA in New South Wales, Australia, National Cupcake Day began in Canada in 2013, and the initiative has grown across the country year after year. In 2016, animal lovers across Canada raised over $615,000 in support of their local animal welfare societies. The campaign has raised $1.85 million to date.
“National Cupcake Day is fun, delicious and, best of all, it changes the lives of animals that have endured hardship and cruelty,” says celebrity chef Anna Olson, host of the Food Network’s Bake with Anna Olson and official ‘Cupcake Crusader’ for the campaign. “The funds you raise will have a significant impact on the animal welfare societies in your community, ensuring that their life-saving work continues.”
Showing your support has never been easier (or tastier)! Get involved by signing up online now at: National Cupcake Day plan a cupcake party at work, home or school; bake your cupcakes then share, eat and enjoy your baked goods while collecting donations. All proceeds will support furry friends, big and small, who have been abused, abandoned or are in need of help.
How to get involved in National Cupcake Day 2017
1. Register your for free at: www.nationalcupcakeday.ca.
2. Receive a free Cupcake Host Welcome Package in the mail (or you can download resources online), with a whole bunch of resources and recipes to get you started.
3. Personalize your National Cupcake Day Online Bakery page and send it out to everyone you know.
4. Encourage your colleagues, friends and family to support you by donating online.
5. Plan a National Cupcake Day Party for home, work, school or wherever you think people would love to eat your cupcakes.
6. Bake, decorate, eat and share delicious cupcakes to raise funds for Canada’s SPCAs and Humane Societies.
7. Funds go to the SPCA or Humane Societies of your choice in your community (visit www.nationalcupcakeday.ca for a list of who’s participating).
National Cupcake Day will help shelters across Canada give a surrendered animal a new forever home; rescue a neglected or abused animal and give it a second chance at a new life; and provide emergency surgery to injured animals.
Just like last year, 2015, 2014 and 2013, I’ll be participating virtually in National Cupcake day by baking cupcakes, posting the recipe here on February 27th and sharing those cupcakes with my colleagues in return for donations. Of course, if you like the look of the recipe here that day, you’re encouraged to donate too.
If you’d like to visit my “online bakery”, we’re open for business already! Just head to my personal page on the National Cupcake Day website, where you will be able to donate to the cause.
Save cute animals and make everyone’s day a little brighter with a scrumptious treat. What could be sweeter?
About SPCAs and Humane Societies
SPCAs and Humane Societies across Canada participating in this year’s National Cupcake Day are dedicated to a variety of life saving work that may include: enforcing animal welfare legislation; rehabilitation and adoption for lost, abused and abandoned animals; advocacy for companion, wild and farm animals; and humane education.