I do so like green eggs and ham (Mactweets May)

I was excited to see this month’s Mactweets theme: Tell me a Story with macarons inspired by a favourite book from childhood.  I knew immediately what book I wanted to use for inspiration – a classic Seuss:

(Image source: Salon.com)

Many of you who know me will be aware that I am just emerging from a fairly stressful month of school yearbook deadlines, grad school papers and various other projects but all the while, I knew I had the Mactweets deadline coming up and was not feeling very confident – it seems like it’s been so long since the last time I made them!  Plus, the whole “green” part was stumping me a little.

(Image source: Motherhood Examiner)

Once I had the idea, I couldn’t get the thought out of my head and I struggled to figure out a way of making these “Green Eggs and Ham” themed macarons.  I oscillated between ideas as to how to execute them and finally decided that I would just make snow white macs and attempt to colour the middles green (as above).  I figured the easiest way to do this was to set aside a tiny amount of the macaron mixture and quickly colour it before I piped the white ones, then pipe a small amount of green into the middle.

Surprisingly, my cunning plan looked like it was working as I popped them in the oven…

And imagine my surprise when after baking at 320F for 12 minutes (turning the tray mid-way), they emerged from the oven with feet!!!!

I was pretty excited, I have to say – definitely a “happy feet dance” moment!

Ok, now for the “ham”.  I took my inspiration from Rachael at La Fuji Mama who used Baking Obsession’s recipe for chocolate plastic (basically corn syrup and melted chocolate – surprisingly easy!) to make fillings for her “Big Mac” macarons.  Here it is going into the plastic to be refrigerated overnight.

For the filling, I took my inspiration from the colours on the book cover and used Martha Stewart’s basic buttercream frosting, coloured a vibrant orange and flavoured with orange essence.

They’re very “Seussian” don’t you think?

Here they are “served” with their “ham”:

And because it’s Mother’s Day, I brought out a little memory from when my mum used to serve me boiled eggs (which I hated when I was little but I loved the cups!):

I have to admit, I was pretty chuffed with this batch and I found it relaxing and even therapeutic this time around. That will tell you a little about how stressful the past few weeks have been – have you ever known me and my macs to be a less than stressful experience????

87 Responses to I do so like green eggs and ham (Mactweets May)

1. Casey May 9, 2010 at 14:40 #

LOVE THEM! How creative and fun. Sounds like they were a pleasure to make, compared to the deadlines filling the rest of your past few weeks/months. Still, this is not helping my craving for macs at all. I’m about to head off to Camp Blogaway, and with my track record, this is exactly when I would attempt to make macs. But I just can’t do it this week. Maybe when I get back?

Nicely done!

Best,
    Casey

2. RJ Flamingo May 9, 2010 at 14:40 #

What a great job, Mardi! And yeah, when making macs is *relaxing*, I know you’ve been having a stressful time of it. :-)

Love your green eggs and ham, Sam I Am!

3. Sarah May 9, 2010 at 14:47 #

well done and I love your Dr. Seuss theme. I am a big fan.

4. Barbara @ VinoLuciStyle May 9, 2010 at 15:03 #

Beautiful and fun at the same time…you are fast joining the league of Mac Queens in my book (or Dr. Seuss’s even!).

5. ann May 9, 2010 at 17:50 #

These look beautiful!!! Very Suess-like!

6. Pam M May 9, 2010 at 18:11 #

Mardi, what a excellent post. the Green Eggs and Ham theme is sooo fun, I can see you really had a great time making these. You are quite an accomplished Macaron maker. It was nice to see your old Bunnikins egg-cup made an appearance.

7. Mr. Neil May 9, 2010 at 18:24 #

(With creative support and additional props courtesy Mr. Neil.)

8. Deeba May 9, 2010 at 19:07 #

Seussian macs… whoa! What a great idea and how beautifully they ‘feeted’!! Love the inspired story idea, your Mom’s egg cup and the plastic chocolate. So glad they worked out Mardi. After the rough touch weeks gone by, these must have been the most welcome feet to hear in a while! I have always enjoyed Dr Seuss and now you’ve added a new dimension to it!
    Thanks for joining Jamie and me at MacTweets! Fun to have you on!!

• Mardi@eatlivetravelwrite May 10, 2010 at 15:25 #

Yes they were the most welcome sight in a while, I admit!!!! Thanks for “egging” me on!!!

9. Julia May 9, 2010 at 19:30 #

Fantastic Mardi! They look amazing! the two-toned macs turned out perfect!!!

10. linda May 9, 2010 at 20:13 #

well knock me over with thing one and thing two- this represents a new feat of mac-making for sure. you may almost have me convinced that I could actually eat a macaron and like it. almost. they are so beautiful and splendoriffic, congrats!

11. Anh May 9, 2010 at 21:45 #

Very creative! Love!

12. 5 Star Foodie May 9, 2010 at 22:44 #

Those Dr. Seuss macs are too cool! What a creative idea!

13. Belinda @zomppa May 9, 2010 at 23:29 #

Those are PRECIOUS!! I am a HUGE fan of Dr. Seuss. In college, they served us green eggs and ham in his honor (he was an alum). I love these (and love the mug!)

• Mardi@eatlivetravelwrite May 10, 2010 at 15:19 #

I have never eaten green eggs and green ham – think this chocolate version is probably the best I could manage.

14. Barbara Bakes May 10, 2010 at 00:31 #

I would have had a “happy feet dance” moment too! These are so beyond cute! You’ve done Seuss proud!

15. Meeta May 10, 2010 at 02:34 #

simply gorgeous! and yes the plan was ingenious! well done!

16. The Cooking Ninja May 10, 2010 at 05:57 #

oooh…they are so beautiful! I just want to eat them. I love Dr Seusse books. :) Been reading it to poppet since she was 1.

17. claudia lamascolo May 10, 2010 at 06:21 #

These are brilliant, I can’t believe I have never ate one of these no less tried to make one….looks so hard but very professional…amazing little alicia and wonderland or rabbit cup they are in, love that little touch there. I have every book on Dr Suess so a big fan here, green eggs and ham I am~lol

• Mardi@eatlivetravelwrite May 10, 2010 at 15:18 #

Thanks Claudia – they DO require a lot of practice and I am fully expecting the next lot to not work out!

18. Aparna May 10, 2010 at 07:01 #

Dr. Seuss couldn’t have been prouder with these macarons. I’ll say you handled the “green” part in style. Your macarons are gorgeous.

19. Lynne May 10, 2010 at 07:36 #

They look amazing!! Look what you can do on a “relaxing” day. Hope they taste as good as they look.

20. Gourmantic May 10, 2010 at 07:37 #

They look very arty! Love the use of props (well done Mr Neil!)

In a way they remind me of those psych tests where they show people food under different lighting to see if they’d eat it!

• Mardi@eatlivetravelwrite May 10, 2010 at 15:16 #

Actually the props were Seuss figurines that I didn’t end up using.. And yes, you are eerily right about the colours there!!

21. bunkycooks May 10, 2010 at 07:44 #

These are very cute! Great idea. Congrats on the macs as well as getting through the stressful time. I hope things are quieter now.

• Mardi@eatlivetravelwrite May 10, 2010 at 15:15 #

Things are definitely calming down now, for sure. Hopefully the macs are the signal for calmer days!

22. Jamie May 10, 2010 at 07:56 #

PERFECT! These are so brilliant and so well done and what a clever mac for this month’s theme! You are the best! And hip hip horray for feet! And calm, calm, honey. A little stress to keep you going but there is no time on this earth to let big stress get you down. One day and one mac at a time!

23. A Canadian Foodie May 10, 2010 at 08:36 #

Absolutely stunning. Brilliant idea and execution of it.
    Valerie

24. Maria May 10, 2010 at 10:43 #

How fun! Love these!

25. Alicia May 10, 2010 at 11:46 #

So fun – and the Bunnykins are the crowning touch!

26. k a b l o o e y May 10, 2010 at 12:59 #

They look stellar, I must say,
    and I want some to eat today.
    With their green tops and handsome feeties,
    They put to shame my bowl of Wheaties.
    About which Dr. Seuss stayed mum,
    and with just cause, because
    ho-hum.

And I hope you get to enjoy the Spring once this stressful period is over. When is that, exactly?

• Mardi@eatlivetravelwrite May 10, 2010 at 15:13 #

Oh Carrie – you’ve made my day!!!!! And yes, the year is winding down a little now! Looking forward to seeing you in a couple of weeks!

27. Andrea@High/Low May 10, 2010 at 13:49 #

Stunning Mardi! Green Eggs and Ham was one of my fave books as a child and your recreation in macaron form makes me love it even more as an adult! Great job!!

28. Dr Suess May 10, 2010 at 18:18 #

And will you succeed? Yes indeed, yes indeed! Ninety-eight and three-quarters percent guaranteed.

You have feet in your shoes (macarons).
    [pseudonym Tami :-)]

29. The Cilantropist May 10, 2010 at 20:22 #

These are too cute, and such an inspired idea! You should check out another blogger who LOVES her macarons: http://notsohumblepie.blogspot.com/2010/04/macarons-101-french-meringue.html

Gosh, macarons are just so adorable…

30. Daydreamer Desserts May 11, 2010 at 08:18 #

I’m so loving these macs Mardi, you totally hit it right on. These are so clever, and look those feet! Ah… bellisimo…

31. Emily @Cleanliness May 11, 2010 at 10:06 #

Oh my! I’d say these are just about the cutest things I have ever seen!

32. Fuji Mama May 11, 2010 at 12:59 #

Absolutely genius! I love love love how they look!

33. Carol Egbert May 11, 2010 at 15:04 #

I thought that green eggs were the eggs from araucana hens.

34. Jen @ My Kitchen Addiction May 11, 2010 at 17:18 #

What a fantastic idea! These macs look wonderful.. Such a cute idea.

35. Conor @ HoldtheBeef May 12, 2010 at 04:20 #

I’m a little late to the party on saying this, but “wow, these are the coolest!” :) They turned out SO WELL and I love your creativity.

That egg cup is lovely too, takes me back to my years of eggs and solders, when I enjoyed the fun of cracking the top and dipping the toast in, but wasn’t a huge fan of the eggs.

36. C and C Dish May 12, 2010 at 13:05 #

These are so fun…what a great idea!

37. Cecilia May 12, 2010 at 22:10 #

Love your idea and execution! Such a beautiful combination of colors. I think once you get the hang of it you end up finding macaron making very relaxing. My favorite part is piping them, and piping the filling to then sandwich them together. I find it to be very therapeutic.

38. Bonnie May 14, 2010 at 17:57 #

These are so fun. They look just like green eggs! I love Dr. Seuss books but was not brave enough to try a macaron inspired by him. You did him proud!

39. Cristie May 15, 2010 at 02:23 #

Creative. Love your splash of green. Very fun.

• Mardi@eatlivetravelwrite May 16, 2010 at 19:49 #

Cheers! I have never been a big fan of food colouring in macs but I am slowly changing my mind!

40. Lisa May 16, 2010 at 15:08 #

Brilliant..absolutely brilliant, AND beautiful!! Such a fun macaron and so perfectly ‘green eggs and ham’ :)

41. Cat May 17, 2010 at 01:13 #

mardi, these are gorgeous! the colors are so vivid and they are so wonderfully creative! and those feet? well done, girl, well done.

• Mardi@eatlivetravelwrite May 20, 2010 at 06:47 #

Practice makes perfect, as they say. I am pretty much guaranteed to have the next batch fail now!!

42. Nancy October 1, 2012 at 22:23 #

These look great. I have made 2 color macarons and every time they crack right around the middle color. Has this happened to you? Also the last ones I made they were actually crispy and no chewy. Do you have any idea what I may have done wrong?

• Mardi (eat. live. travel. write.) October 2, 2012 at 09:07 #

No this hasn’t happened, sorry. And I’m sorry I can’t tell you why they might be crispy not chewy – though it does sound to me like they were overbaked – there are so many different factors that can affect macaron success – it’s difficult for me to figure anything out without knowing a few more details.

Trackbacks/Pingbacks

1. Dr. Suess Party | Inspired Parties - March 1, 2011

[...] Egg and Ham Macaroons [...]

2. Fun Food Saturday: Green Eggs and Ham - Jolly Tomato - July 28, 2012

[...] and/or if you’re tired of experimenting with eggs, you should check out these whimsical macarons from Eat.Live.Travel.Write. Sure, the colors aren’t exactly found in nature, but they would [...]

3. Happy Birthday, Dr. Seuss | TaraRoons - March 2, 2014

[…] I am and his Green Eggs and Ham.   While these are not Dr. Seuss – the technique for piping could be used to make some green […]