Like many of you, one of my “must-have” kitchen brands is GLAD®. From the trash bags (including outdoor, indoor, recycling and compostable bags) to the food storage products (plastic wrap, containers and bags), it’s a brand I know and trust. These types of items are not the sort you can cheap out on by buying “no name” brands – even though you might save a few pennies in the short term, in the long run, you’ll end up using more of an inferior product simply because it isn’t as strong. GLAD® is dependable.
As I’ve been slowly getting back into my “normal life” after a summer away, one of the first things I do is put order in my kitchen. I feel like I can’t start the school year off right unless my kitchen is in a “good” (read: organized) place and GLAD® products (especially the food storage containers) are my friend! I’ve also been setting my closets straight with a much-needed and overdue “spring” clean out as I do at the end of every summer – our street has a street-long yard sale every September and in the process of getting things together for that, I inevitably take a look at my closest and weed out some of the things I no longer use/ need. Perfect timing because this summer, GLAD® is teaming up with Goodwill in Toronto and the Greater Toronto Area to help drive donations for their Donate4Good program. To help encourage people to donate used goods to those in need through Goodwill, GLAD® will be donating $10,000 + 10,000 black plastic bags to help corral donatable items (and help you continue with your “spring” cleaning).
On select weekends from August through October, GLAD® will be stationed at 5 Loblaws locations across Toronto to pick up your donations. Select neighbourhoods will also have door-to-door bag deliveries to help you prepare before your local Loblaws drop-off date. For every Glad® bag returned with clothing and other gently used items, GLAD® will donate $1.50 to Goodwill (to a maximum of $8,000).
Think you don’t have anything to donate? You’d be surprised – here are the top 10 most wanted donation items:
- Clothing for men, women and children
- Accessories (belts, purses and scarves)
- Kitchen items (small countertop appliances, dishes, cutlery, posts and pans)
- Shoes and boots
- Linens (blankets, sheets and pillowcases)
- Outerwear for all ages
- Household decor (figurines and other decorative objects)
- Kids games, puzzles, and toys
- Wall art, mirrors and picture frames
I didn’t think I had much but 3 full bags later, I still reckon I could fill another. Keep in mind that 2 boxes of donated books = 2 hours of on-the-job training, and 1 bag of donated goods = 1 hour of career counselling. Cleaning up you can feel good about 🙂
Loblaws drop-off dates and locations for the GLAD for Goodwill Donate4Good programme:
Loblaws Leslie Street – August 28, 4pm-8pm and August 29, 10am-2pm
Loblaws Musgrave Street – September 18, 4pm-8pm and September 19, 10am-2pm
Loblaws Dundas Street W – October 2, 4pm-8pm and October 3, 10am-2pm
Loblaws McLaughlin – October 23, 4pm-8pm and October 24, 10am-2pm
Your donations not only help people in need but also support Goodwill’s ability to enable work opportunities and provide skills development for people facing barriers to employment. Goodwill operates as a social enterprise and generates funds through retail operations and other lines of business, which allows them the autonomy to be innovative and adapt their business lines and mission to fit the changing needs in the community.
Other ways your donations help the community:
- Goodwill employs over 600 people in 15 Community Stores and 11 Attended Donation Centres across Toronto, Eastern, Central and Northern Ontario.
- Over 1.4 million people shopped at Goodwill last year.
- Over 12,000 people used Goodwill’s Employment Services last year.
- 73% of individuals who used Goodwill’s employment services last year successfully obtained employment.
- Thanks to donations, millions of pounds of used goods are kept out of landfills each year. Last year, Goodwill diverted over 38 million pounds from landfills.
So what are you waiting for? Get cleaning for a cause!
Disclosure: I received compensation and a selection of GLAD product samples in exchange for spreading the word about GLAD for Goodwill. All opinions are my own.