Cook the Book Fridays: Bean and tortilla soup

Dorie Greenspan Bean and tortilla soup in a blue bowlThis week’s recipe for Cook the Book Fridays comes from Dorie Greenspan’s latest cookbook, Everyday Dorie and it’s a version of a soup I make quite often that does well at using up bits and pieces in the fridge/ pantry.

It’s a simple soup with lots of flavour thanks to cumin, chile powder, adobe sauce – I used smoked paprika – and Old Bay Seasoning that uses onions, bell peppers, carrots (I didn’t use, felt weird in this type of soup – added some leftover roasted chicken breast instead, was fab!) along with diced tomatoes and red kidney beans.

Where the soup gets interesting is in the add-ins. Dorie gives some great suggestions and honestly, these are what makes this soup! I used sour cream, tortilla chips, avocado chunks and fresh coriander – pepita (pumpkin seeds) would go well here too. Another time I added some shredded cheese to the tortilla chips and stirred them in (SO good!) and this is always better with a splash or two of hot sauce! SUCH a great, versatile soup that works well in this kinda-sorta-chilly-but-sometimes-warm weather!

Get the recipe for Dorie Greenspan’s Bean and Tortilla Soup on page 60 of Everyday Dorie.

Buy Everyday Dorie and join us cooking our way through the book!

Everyday Dorie cover on eatlivetravelwrite.com

Buy Everyday Dorie on Amazon (this link should bring you to the Amazon store geographically closest to you) Or for free worldwide shipping, buy from The Book Depository then join us over on Cook the Book Fridays!

Please note: This post contains affiliate links. I am a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites. This post also contains affiliate links from The Book Depository. This means that if you click over and purchase something, I will receive a very small percentage of the purchase price (at no extra cost to you). Thank you in advance!

__________

Disclosure: I was provided with a copy of “Everyday Dorie” for review purposes. I was not asked to write about the book, nor am I being compensated for doing so. All opinions 100% my own.

__________

Like this post? Get blog posts delivered to your inbox! Sign up here!

________

monthly newsletter signup!

__________

MY BOOK! In the French kitchen with kids is out now! Click here for details and how to order!

In the French Kitchen with Kids cover on eatlivetravelwrite.com

, , , , , ,

9 Responses to Cook the Book Fridays: Bean and tortilla soup

1. steph (whisk/spoon) October 23, 2020 at 10:27 #

yes—not too heavy and perfect for this weather! loved this one, too.

2. Shirley @ Everopensauce October 24, 2020 at 19:55 #

I like soup in general and I’m glad to add another good Dorie recipe in the mix. The blue chip adds so much fun to the tortilla soup.

3. Kim October 24, 2020 at 20:13 #

Agreed…so good! Next time add the carrots. I thought it was weird too, but it worked!

4. Betsy October 25, 2020 at 11:34 #

I was skeptical about the carrots, but I agree with Kim, they worked. Add them next time. This soup hit the spot this week. I agree that it’s a great base to use what you’ve got, very adaptable. And so many choices on the add-ins.

• Mardi Michels October 25, 2020 at 12:05 #

Yeah no re: the carrots. I’d rather add more beans or chicken like we did.

5. Lillian Tse October 25, 2020 at 15:24 #

yes such a great one! I had to try not to throw on all the toppings and more!!! The carrots work quite well actually!

6. Tricia S October 25, 2020 at 20:14 #

Absolutely loved this soup. Figured it would be nice for sure, especially as the weather turns chilly in Pennsylvania. I was more on the fence about adding the sour cream or yogurt, but we went with a dollop of Greek yogurt and it was a transformation lol. Happy campers around here !! Gorgeous bowls and photos – love that blue !

7. MARY H HIRSCH October 28, 2020 at 23:01 #

Not much to complain about with this recipe, this soup.It’s cold here in Colorado. We’ve had snow. So soup is the menu-of-choice for lunch or dinner. You are right about using all the odds and ends from the fridge and pantry. I also like the fact that I can limit the amount of soup I make so leftovers aren’t a problem.

8. Diane Zwang November 14, 2020 at 21:18 #

This was a hit with us too. I am glad that the weather is finally cold enough for soups.