This post is produced in partnership with Le Creuset Canada.
Finally, at least in Toronto, winter seems to have arrived. It might not be snowy but it’s pretty darned cold out there (especially after Haiti!). So t’is the season for hot chocolate, right? Today, I’m partnering with Le Creuset Canada to bring you an easy, decadent hot chocolate recipe that looks as good as it tastes in the Stoneware Mug in blueberry which are part of the Dinnerware Set I recently received from Le Creuset Canada. Even if you don’t need the whole dinnerware set, the mugs are the perfect post-holiday gift for yourself (because who doesn’t like a new mug to cheery up grey winter days?).
This hot chocolate uses a mixture of real milk and dark chocolate – experiment to see what combo you like best – and skim milk and a little heavy cream so it’s richer than you might be used to – a little bit goes a long way! And while this recipe is based on the types of hot chocolate I typically enjoy in France, I’ve topped it with a couple of marshmallows (NOT traditionally French) – large ones quartered so you get more marshmallow flavour! It’s the ultimate pick-me-up on a cold day!
- 3 tablespoons (30 g) dark chocolate, roughly chopped (or chocolate chips)
- 3 tablespoons (30g) milk chocolate, roughly chopped (or chocolate chips)
- 1 cup (250 mL) skim milk
- 2 tablespoons heavy (35%) cream
- 2 large marshmallows, quartered, to serve
- Cocoa powder for sprinkling, to serve
1. Put the chocolate in a small pot and pour the milk and cream on top. Place the pot over medium-high heat and gently whisk until the chocolate is completely melted.
2. Turn down the heat to medium and continue to cook for 2 to 3 minutes, whisking constantly. The liquid will thicken slightly as it cooks.
3. Remove the pot from the heat. Allow the hot chocolate to sit for a few minutes (it will thicken slightly as it cools) and stir before you pour into a mug and drink.
4. Top with marshmallows and sprinkle with cocoa, to serve.
Buy the Stoneware Mug.
Buy the Stoneware Dinner Set.
Disclosure: Le Creuset Canada provided me with cookware in exchange for recipe development and content creation. I was not otherwise compensated for this post. This post contains affiliate links. I am a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites, meaning if you click over and purchase something, I will receive a very small percentage of the purchase price (at no extra cost to you). Thank you in advance!