Cook the Book Fridays: Potato Chowder from Everyday Dorie

Potato Chowder from Everyday Dorie on eatlivetravelwrite.com

This week’s recipe for Cook the Book Fridays comes from Dorie Greenspan’s latest cookbook, Everyday Dorie and is the perfect “ease back into real life” food after the holidays. Dorie’s taken potatoes, leeks, shallots, garlic and onions for a soup base that you can leave chunky or partially mash or blend completely, then given a few different options for add=ins or toppings depending on the season. Simply brilliant!

I made the basic recipe, adding in some thick Greek yoghurt in at the end and omitting the optional milk/ half and half (I don’t like soup that splits because of the dairy when you reheat it and this way you can make it as creamy as you like). We topped it with crispy bacon and spring onions (scallions) and it tasted just like a baked potato, only in soup form (kind of reminded me of this version using a slow cooker)!

This is a fabulous recipe to have in the back of your pocket, along with all the variations and customisations. I’ll be going back to this again and again!

Get the recipe for Dorie Greenspan’s Potato Chowder Lots of Ways on page 63  of Everyday Dorie.

Buy Everyday Dorie and join us cooking our way through the book!

Everyday Dorie cover on eatlivetravelwrite.com

Buy Everyday Dorie on Amazon (this link should bring you to the Amazon store closest to you) Or for free worldwide shipping, buy from The Book Depository then join us over on Cook the Book Fridays!

Please note: This post contains affiliate links. I am a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites. This post also contains affiliate links from The Book Depository. This means that if you click over and purchase something, I will receive a very small percentage of the purchase price (at no extra cost to you). Thank you in advance!

__________

Disclosure: I was provided with a copy of “Everyday Dorie” for review purposes. I was not asked to write about the book, nor am I being compensated for doing so. All opinions 100% my own.

__________

MY BOOK! In the French kitchen with kids is out now! Click here for order details.

In the French Kitchen with Kids cover on eatlivetravelwrite.com

, , , , , , , ,

14 Responses to Cook the Book Fridays: Potato Chowder from Everyday Dorie

1. Mr. Neil January 11, 2019 at 09:13 #

Mardi’s right – this was a perfect, hearty bowl for a chilly winter’s eve.

While great vegetarian, for me the crispy bacon was the added delight. Could easily add leftover chicken, some duck…possibilities endless. (Though I tend to think more to birds…)

Pairing for this was a split, which was interesting. The first glass was with a wonderful white from the Rhone; enough stuffing to stand up to the flavours of the soup, and quite complementary. The second (only as we had two open bottles to finish…) was a Shiraz from Australia. While a more muted version, it wouldn’t have been the ideal match…if you want a red, go lighter.

2. Betsy January 11, 2019 at 19:40 #

I agree! I called this a good back-pocket recipe too (great minds…) I like the clear look of your bowl. You must not have mashed yours as much as I did.

3. Guyla January 11, 2019 at 20:03 #

Your soup inspired me to get off the sofa and get cooking! Thank you mam!

4. MARY H HIRSCH January 11, 2019 at 21:39 #

I didn’t think about putting this in my back pocket, but that’s the perfect idea – it’s that kind of recipe. I really enjoyed this chowder. Some neighbors stopped by for summer and emptied their soup bowls (am guessing they liked it). I notice you didn’t cube your potatoes. That’s an idea also. Nice job.

• Mardi Michels January 12, 2019 at 11:22 #

I did cube the potatoes – they are tiny new potatoes though so some of them were just halved! I didn’t mash them at all because I like the look of a clear soup!

5. Lovie Bernardi January 11, 2019 at 22:50 #

Yours looks great! I went with cream this time, but I will have to try it with yogurt.

6. Joyce, Kitchen Flavours January 11, 2019 at 23:21 #

This is delicious! We went with the cream, and family loves it!

7. cheznana January 12, 2019 at 10:08 #

This was perfect for this cold weather that we are having. I like all the variations that can be used, either in the soup or for the toppings. It looks like a winner all around.

8. steph (whisk/spoon) January 12, 2019 at 20:20 #

looks totally delicious!

9. Karen January 12, 2019 at 21:13 #

Your soup looks amazing! I like the idea of adding the yogurt at the end so it doesn’t split on reheating. I want to dig right in!

10. Katie January 13, 2019 at 11:23 #

What a great idea with the yogurt! I, too, dislike soup splitting upon reheating because it’s a go-to big batch kind of thing for me for weekday dinners. Love how that blue bowl looks in the photo as well. 🙂

11. Tricia January 13, 2019 at 19:08 #

Wasn’t this just perfect ? Right after the holidays is exactly when I needed a fabulous recipe for simple comfort food that is easy and flexible. Love the crisp of your bacon- I will definitely be using bacon when I make this again.

12. Shirley @ EverOpenSauce January 13, 2019 at 20:34 #

I like the analogy of a soupy version of a baked potatoes. That’s why everyone like this chowder.

13. Emily January 14, 2019 at 00:13 #

I will go along with you on the clear version of the chowder, especially if you are making a big batch of it. One can always add the milk/cream to a smaller serving from that batch as and when required. A keeper recipe!!