Cook the Book Fridays: Roasted Squash Hummus from Everyday Dorie

Everyday Dorie Roasted Squash Hummus on eatlivetravelwrite.comThis week’s recipe for Cook the Book Fridays comes from Dorie Greenspan’s latest cookbook, Everyday Dorie, and is a great way to use up any squash you might have hanging around your house over the holidays. Bonus? This Roasted Squash Hummus looks wonderfully festive and is perfect for any holiday table!

Like all the Everyday Dorie recipes, it’s a recipe with a twist – hummus, kind of as you know it but with a few different ingredients. First off, there’s roasted squash (I used butternut). Then some pomegranate molasses (I used a pomegranate reduction that I happened to have in my pantry – in the full spirit of Everyday Dorie, I’m using what I have on hand – within reason, obviously!). Some tahini, cayenne, za’atar, yoghurt and pomegranate seeds complete the recipe which comes together really quickly after you’ve roasted the squash. I thought this might taste too “pumpkin-y” but it didn’t. It was a nice blend of creamy, nutty and spicy and I loved the pomegranate seeds for some texture (I might toast some pepitas next time and add those to serve too).

A note that this didn’t retain its vibrant colour after it had been in the fridge for a couple of days. Still tasted good but wasn’t as pretty to look at!

Get the recipe for Dorie Greenspan’s Roasted Squash Hummus on page 20  of Everyday Dorie.

Buy Everyday Dorie and join us cooking our way through the book!

Everyday Dorie cover on eatlivetravelwrite.com

Buy Everyday Dorie on Amazon (this link should bring you to the Amazon store closest to you) Or for free worldwide shipping, buy from The Book Depository then join us over on Cook the Book Fridays!

Please note: This post contains affiliate links. I am a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites. This post also contains affiliate links from The Book Depository. This means that if you click over and purchase something, I will receive a very small percentage of the purchase price (at no extra cost to you). Thank you in advance!

__________

Disclosure: I was provided with a copy of “Everyday Dorie” for review purposes. I was not asked to write about the book, nor am I being compensated for doing so. All opinions 100% my own.

__________

MY BOOK! In the French kitchen with kids is out now! Click here for order details.

In the French Kitchen with Kids cover on eatlivetravelwrite.com

, , , , , ,

11 Responses to Cook the Book Fridays: Roasted Squash Hummus from Everyday Dorie

1. Joyce, Kitchen Flavours December 14, 2018 at 09:08 #

Glad to see that you have enjoyed this hummus!
    I am not a fan, it is a little too sweet for me, I prefer savoury hummus!

2. cheznana December 14, 2018 at 15:51 #

I am with Joyce on this one, preferring the savory hummus. However, it was an interesting recipe that went together quite easily after the toasting and was certainly festive looking.

3. steph (whisk/spoon) December 14, 2018 at 22:24 #

i didn’t have any pomegranate seeds, so i just used some pipitas on top, but the pom seeds do look so festive and really jazz up the hummus. i liked this, too!

4. Shirley @ EverOpenSauce December 15, 2018 at 08:05 #

The idea of adding toasted pepitas for texture sounds wonderful. The pomegranate seeds you sprinkled on top of the hummus has just the right touch.

5. Adriana December 15, 2018 at 11:48 #

Your hummus looks so pretty! My attempts to embrace the spirit of “cooking with what you have” didn’t work out as well this week. I wish I had pepitas or any other item for that extra crunch!

6. Emily December 16, 2018 at 04:42 #

Did you machine blend your roasted squash? The texture looks smooth and nice. I enjoyed this too.

7. Katie December 17, 2018 at 14:35 #

Gorgeous, Mardi, and you’re right about how festive it appears! that’s good to know re the discoloration after a few days and I also agree that it wasn’t too squash-y tasting (I think all the tahini helped with that)!

8. Guyla December 17, 2018 at 17:58 #

Your squash looks beautiful! I’m wondering if pomegranate molasses is readily available where you are. I didn’t quite follow the recipe but enjoyed it just the same.

9. Cher December 17, 2018 at 21:11 #

Very pretty! The pomegranate seeds gives the dish just the right amount of color and texture it needed to shine

10. Betsy December 18, 2018 at 16:57 #

The pomegranate seeds might be the secret to making this look pretty. Sadly, I wasn’t a fan of this one.