So, here’s my book cover! I am totally in love with this cover because:
1. Little hands! Never did I ever imagine my cover without little hands (actual legit Petit Chef hands too!!!)
2. Little hands making croissants! Because they can.
3. Um, a foreword by DORIE GREENSPAN? Hello?!?!
This cover is EXACTLY as I have pictured it in my head since before I even started properly working on the book (I like to plan ahead!). For me, there was no question that it would end up looking like this. This is my cover.
(wanna know a secret? I actually cannot stop looking at it)
But better than the cover is what’s inside:
- 60+ “real French food” recipes that kids (and big kids!) can make (with a little bit of help). Not dumbed down, just do-able for kids, tested by people all over the world (and by my own students!);
- Loads of tips to help get you started cooking with (your) kids;
- A few French language and culture lessons along the way. Because, well, a French teacher can’t help herself;
- BEAUTIFUL photography by Kyla Zanardi and gorgeous food styling by Dara Sutin;
- Glimpses of inside the kitchen at Plum Lyon where we spent a week shooting in March 2017.
- Little hands. Real-life Petits Chefs.
And guess what? Actual people other than me and my editor have read it. Want to know what they thought?
Advance praise for In the French kitchen with kids:
One of the best ways to have fun and bond with young people is to cook with them as partners. Kids are inherently creative; the smell and taste of the dishes produced will stay with them permanently. In the French Kitchen with Kids, a thorough, well-organized, approachable and friendly cookbook, will take your child on a delectable culinary voyage leading to a lifetime of lasting memories.
– Jacques Pépin
Mardi brings the flavors of France into your home, and makes them fun for the family to prepare together. From Quick Croissants to silky Crème Caramel, In the French Kitchen with Kids brings everyone to the table, in the true French spirit.
– David Lebovitz, author of My Paris Kitchen
As a French mother of two and a passionate cook, I applaud Mardi’s French-inspired approach to inviting kids into the kitchen. Her extensive teaching experience shines through the entire book, and encourages parents everywhere to share their love of simple, homemade foods with their children.
– Clotilde Dusoulier, author of Tasting Paris and the blog Chocolate & Zucchini
Mardi’s knowledge and dedication to teaching the next generation about the joys of cooking the French classics is obvious, and her fun, thoughtful approach is not only inspiring, it’s totally infectious! My family and I can’t wait to take her with us on our next kitchen adventure.
– Gail Simmons, food critic, TV host and author of Bringing It Home: Favorite Recipes from a Life of Adventurous Eating
Cooking French food with kids might sound like a recipe for disaster. But with veteran kids’ cooking teacher Mardi Michels as a guide, your tiny chefs will soon be whipping up everything from poulet rôti to profiteroles! With clear, concise, and friendly directions – filled with practical advice, and luscious photos – In the French kitchen with kids makes French cuisine easy and accessible for all ages.
– Ann Mah, author of Mastering the Art of French Eating, and The Lost Vintage
I have always marveled at the French talent for educating their children in matters of taste. No age is considered too young to start learning to recognize quality food and to appreciate the pleasures of a shared table. Mardi Michels’ inviting new book creates the kind of allure that will excite children about cooking and leave them feeling empowered and proud of their results.
– Laura Calder, author of French Food at Home and The Inviting Life
We love this collection of irresistible recipes and useful kitchen tips. But the real star of the book is Mardi’s warm and confident encouragement that kids and parents alike can master delicious French food.
– Laura Keogh and Ceri Marsh, authors of The School Year Survival Cookbook and How to Feed a Family
And guess what? you can…
Pre-order In the French kitchen with kids !
Buy In the French kitchen with kids on Indigo (Canada)
Buy In the French kitchen with kids on Amazon (this link should bring you to the Amazon store closest to you – affiliate link)
Buy In the French kitchen with kids on The Book Depository (worldwide – affiliate link)
Buy In the French kitchen with kids on Barnes & Noble
Buy In the French kitchen with kids on on Indiebound
Thank you for your support! Stay tuned for more details about the book (launch) in the months leading up to July 31st!
Please note: I am a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites. This post also contains affiliate links from The Book Depository. This means that if you click over and purchase something, I will receive a very small percentage of the purchase price (at no extra cost to you). Thank you in advance!