Tuesdays with Dorie (Dorie’s Cookies): Chocolate Sandwich Cookies

Chocolate sandwich cookies by Dorie Greenspan on eatlivetravelwrite.comThis week’s Tuesdays with Dorie recipe from Dorie’s Cookies was one I’d been eyeing ever since I first saw the book. They’re like Dorie’s version of Oreos (“Dorie-Os”?) and having tried my hand at a much more complex recipe, I was eager to see what Dorie had come up with and if it was easier.

Turns out that, of course Dorie’s recipe is much more approachable. The cookie dough is a joy to work with thanks to Dorie’s tip of rolling it out right away then freezing it before you cut out the cookies – no more rolling out a brick of cold (crumbly) dough that’s impossible to work with. It’s a brilliant tip and one I’ve been using for a while with some pie and tart crusts and galette doughs too and I think I’ll be using it with roll out cookies from now on too.

The filling is a simple buttercream that I added a tablespoon of whipping cream to make it a little easier to pipe…

Filling Dorie Greenspan sandwich cookies on eatlivetravelwrite.comThese were the FAVOURITE cookie of the weekend (in a weekend when I baked and cooked pretty much non stop). People couldn’t stop eating them and my neighbour who tasted them a few days ago is still talking about them.

Dorie Greenspan chocolate creme sandwich cookies on eatlivetravelwrite.comMy mum, all the way away in Sydney, Australia, has a copy of the book as well and I encouraged her to bake along with us this week. She made a raspberry cream to fill the cookies with. They look so good!

Raspberry sandwich cookies from Dories Cookies on eatlivetravelwrite.comThese are cookies I’ll bookmark to make for something like a bake sale or a party – they seem to appeal to people’s sense of nostalgia and it’s great to see people’s reactions to this “much better than store-bought” version! Sssh – we won’t tell them it’s so easy, will we?

Tuesdays with Dorie chocolate sandwich cookies on eatlivetravelwrite.comGet the recipe for Dorie’s chocolate sandwich cookies here or on page 306-308 of Dorie’s Cookies.

Dorie's Cookies on eatlivetravelwrite.com

Want more cookie recipes? Order Dorie’s Cookies for yourself on Amazon (this link should bring you to the Amazon store in your country) or for free worldwide shipping, buy from The Book Depository. Then join us over on Tuesdays with Dorie and bake your way through the book!

Please note: This post contains product links from Amazon and The Book Depository which are affiliate links, meaning if you click over and purchase something, I will receive a very small percentage of the purchase price (at no extra cost to you) which goes towards maintaining eat. live. travel. write. Thank you in advance!

Disclosure: I was provided with a copy of “Dorie’s Cookies” for review purposes. I was not asked to write about the book, nor am I being compensated for doing do. All opinions 100% my own.

, , , , , , , , , ,

20 Responses to Tuesdays with Dorie (Dorie’s Cookies): Chocolate Sandwich Cookies

1. gigi November 15, 2016 at 06:05 #

Your cookies look so good! Your filling looks great! I made these too and I agree with everything you said! They are so good, so easy to make and much better than the store-bought version. I’m glad you posted your Mother’s version with the different filling because I am toying with the idea of making pumpkin-shaped and filling with orange filling (probably the same filling just tinted orange).

• Mardi Michels November 15, 2016 at 10:40 #

Well I know I’ll definitely be making them again, that’s for sure! Too many people have already asked me if I have any left!

2. Nicole November 15, 2016 at 10:13 #

Yours look great and I called them Dorieos too! It just rolls right off the tongue!

By any chance have you tried TKOs from Bouchon Bakery? I am wondering how they compare. Of course I could just bake them and find out for myself…

• Mardi Michels November 15, 2016 at 10:39 #

I linked to the TKOs in my post. You’ll see if you click through that they were much more complicated than these!

3. Pam M November 15, 2016 at 17:20 #

I don’t think I have ever had an Oreo cookie, but these tasted pretty good. I usually share my biscuits/cookies/cakes with a neighbour,but not this time. I did cut down the recipe(that’s my excuse’

• Mardi Michels November 16, 2016 at 05:07 #

I think we’ll be making small batches of many of these cookies! Because sometimes you don’t want to share!

4. steph (whisk/spoon) November 15, 2016 at 17:25 #

these would be a bake sale hit–yours look perfect. and so do your mum’s–i love that she baked along with us!

5. Kayte November 15, 2016 at 18:56 #

Always the sign of a winner when people won’t stop eating them! Yours look perfect. I need to work on smushing as I tried to smush it and then it came out too far and then I had to sort of spread it a little and it all smeared and…I decidedly can’t smush with a darn. Your mother’s are so pretty! Love the idea of raspberry filling. And it’s pink…I need more pink in my life. 🙂

• Mardi Michels November 16, 2016 at 05:06 #

The technique I used was to pipe the filling using a piping bag then twist the tops on so the filling came out to the edge – same way I fill macarons!

6. Pamela November 15, 2016 at 20:16 #

They look perfect!!!

7. Ryan November 16, 2016 at 01:33 #

Your cookies look great! I like how you changed things up with your raspberry filling!

• Mardi Michels November 16, 2016 at 05:05 #

Thanks. The ones with the raspberry filling are the ones my mum made actually!

8. Summer November 16, 2016 at 11:13 #

These look great! What a good idea piping the filling because it comes out looking so much neater and prettier. “Love the colored filling to indicate the flavor too.

9. Diane Zwang November 16, 2016 at 15:42 #

“Dorie-Os” cute. My family loved these too and they are still talking about them.

10. Peggy November 17, 2016 at 14:54 #

The raspberry filling sounds really good and would be so pretty for the holidays. I also like your addition of the whip cream. Sounds yummy. When I make these again mine will be perfect but today they were not!

• Mardi Michels November 17, 2016 at 18:47 #

Yes the cream helped it to be much softer and easier to pipe.