David Lebovitz scalloped potatoes with blue cheese and roasted garlic on eatlivetravelwrite.comThis week’s Cook the Book Fridays recipe from David Lebovitz’ My Paris Kitchen is classic French comfort food with a twist. David’s taken scalloped potatoes and added a bit of blue cheese and infused the cream with roasted garlic.

It’s a really simple dish – you roast the garlic in the oven, add it to the cream, then layer the potatoes with chives and blue cheese until your baking dish is full. Then you pour over the warmed garlic cream and bake for an hour. Simple! I made half the quantity of the recipe for four serves and whilst I was a bit worried about the amount of liquid (I am not a fan of liquidy scalloped or gratin potatoes), it was fine. I made this earlier in the day and by the time it came to dinner, the whole dish had “settled” a bit and the liquid had soaked in even more to the potatoes so it wasn’t as sloppy as I feared.

We LOVED this dish (it’s kind of like an adult version of the scalloped potato dish I’m working on for my own book so I was super interested to see how this version worked!) and I’ll definitely take the time to roast more garlic in the future – it really does add an extra dimension to this (or any) dish.

Get the recipe for David Lebovitz’s scalloped potatoes with blue cheese and roasted garlic here on p 211 of My Paris Kitchen.

MyParisKitchenDavidLebovitz

Purchase My Paris Kitchen for yourselves on Amazon (this link should bring you to the Amazon store closest to you) Or for free worldwide shipping, buy from The Book Depository then join us over on Cook the Book Fridays!

Please note: The product links from Amazon and The Book Depository are affiliate links, meaning if you click over and purchase something, I will receive a very small percentage of the purchase price (at no extra cost to you) which goes towards maintaining eat. live. travel. write. Thank you in advance!

Disclosure: I was provided with a copy of “My Paris Kitchen” for review purposes. I was not asked to write about the book, nor am I being compensated for doing do. All opinions 100% my own.

, , , , ,

32 Responses to French Fridays: Scalloped potatoes with blue cheese and roasted garlic from My Paris Kitchen

1. EmilyC November 4, 2016 at 06:46 #

Looking good! Roasting heads of garlic is not something I would remember when I am baking something else with my oven; but will remember it next time! Yes, that garlic cream is delish!

• Mardi Michels November 4, 2016 at 08:56 #

Right? I so often have the oven on and could pop some extra garlic in there – so useful for so many dishes!

2. Nicole November 4, 2016 at 07:56 #

Like you I was a little concerned with it being loose, or too runny, but i was really pleased to see how it had thickened up. This was so delicious. Every ingredient contributed to this being one giant umami bomb!

• Mardi Michels November 4, 2016 at 08:57 #

It really was great. I am interested to try it with goat’s cheese next time!

3. bridget {bake at 350} November 4, 2016 at 08:53 #

This looks AH-mazing!

4. Shirley @ Flourishen Test Kitchen November 4, 2016 at 09:03 #

Like you, my biggest take away from this recipe is the roasted-garlic infused cream. I can see using that in many adaptations. You get incredible color on your gratin.

5. david November 4, 2016 at 09:19 #

So happy that you liked it. The photo is love, too!
    : )

6. Rebecca Plotnick November 4, 2016 at 12:58 #

I am always looking for new potato recipes for thanksgiving instead of the traditional mashed potatoes recipe. I can’t wait to try this one out this year! Thank you for sharing!

7. Nana November 4, 2016 at 16:11 #

Such an honor for you that David liked your blog, that is great. This was a wonderfully delicious
    recipe that I halved for the two of us, but when the kids come over I would love to serve the whole recipe. Either way it will be repeated.

• Mardi Michels November 4, 2016 at 22:48 #

This is definitely a recipe to serve to a crowd 🙂

8. Joyce, Kitchen Flavours November 5, 2016 at 03:23 #

That is the prettiest dish of potatoes I’ve seen! Lovely that David has shared your photo in his fb page! My kids enjoyed this dish very much!

• Mardi Michels November 5, 2016 at 08:11 #

Thanks so much – it was a lovely surprise when David shared the post 🙂

9. Candy November 5, 2016 at 13:54 #

Your dish looks lovely! I’ll be interested in seeing “your” version too. This was seriously delicious. I agree about the garlic, though I cheated with my roasted garlic from Penzey’s. It was a gift, but it is seriously a great cheat. Loved this! Thanks for sharing.

• Mardi Michels November 5, 2016 at 18:41 #

Oh if I lived near Penzey’s I would totally buy that roasted garlic too!

10. Betsy November 5, 2016 at 19:41 #

I loved the garlic cream too. I don’t know why I don’t roast garlic more often. I’m looking forward to your version of potato gratin!

• Mardi Michels November 6, 2016 at 06:12 #

I think we’re all wondering why we don’t roast garlic more often!

11. mary H hirsch November 5, 2016 at 21:38 #

I’m looking forward to making this for our next post along with the dessert tart. Doubling down to catch up. Your version looks delicious. Love scalloped potatoes but with the blue cheese and roasted garlic, it should be even better.

• Mardi Michels November 6, 2016 at 06:12 #

Yes these were really brilliant additions to an already tasty dish!

12. Natascha November 6, 2016 at 04:59 #

BEAUTIFUL!

13. Katie November 7, 2016 at 08:10 #

Pretty much every point you made in this post I agree with: don’t prefer runny gratins but this one turned out fine; loved the garlic; made a half recipe, etc.

Your photo is absolutely gorgeous!!

14. Karen Prengaman November 7, 2016 at 19:12 #

I can’t wait to try this one. Yours looks delicious!

15. Teresa November 11, 2016 at 19:45 #

I go through phases of having roasted garlic on hand and then I forget about it – this has reminded me to start roasting it regularly again. Everything I’ve heard so far about your cookbook sounds wonderful. I’m glad it’s coming together so well for you!

16. lisa brown November 16, 2016 at 07:38 #

Your dish looks great, and the scalloped serving spoon is a nice addition. I too loved this dish,but will parboil my potatoes next time, they were a little hard.

• Mardi Michels November 16, 2016 at 08:25 #

I think the trick is slicing the potatoes really thin…