Posted by https://www.eatlivetravelwrite.com/2016/11/cheesy-one-pan-rotini-with-spicy-sausage-and-spinach/
© 2016 eat. live. travel. write.. All rights reserved.
Cheesy one-pan rotini with spicy sausage and spinach
A quick one-pan pasta meal that's big on flavour!
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 medium onion (200g), diced
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 4 fresh Italian sausages (approximately 100g each)
- 1 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- 1 tin (796mls) diced tomatoes
- 1 box (340g) Barilla Pronto Rotini
- 500mls (2 cups) water
- 140g baby spinach
- salt and pepper, to taste
- 100g (1 cup) cheddar cheese, grated
- fresh basil, to garnish
- In a large, oven-ready skillet, heat the oil over medium-high heat.
- Add the onion and garlic and cook approximately 4 minutes over medium-high heat until translucent.
- Remove the sausages from their casings and pinch off small tablespoon-sized pieces of the sausage meat (you'll get about 12 pieces per sausage) and add them to the onion and garlic.
- Cook over medium heat until the sausages are cooked on the outside and just starting to brown.
- Add the crushed red pepper flakes and stir to distribute evenly.
- Add the tomatoes and their juices to the pan, then the pasta and the extra water. Stir gently to make sure the pasta is completely covered.
- Add ½ of the spinach to the pan.
- Cook for 8 minutes over medium-high heat, stirring regularly to make sure the pasta is not sticking to the pan.
- Remove from the heat and add the remaining spinach. Stir to combine.
- Season to taste with salt and pepper.
- Heat the broiler to high.
- Sprinkle the grated cheese over the pasta, making sure to coat the top evenly.
- Broil until the cheese is melted and starting to turn golden brown.
- Sprinkle over fresh basil to serve.