French Fridays: Baked Eggs with kale and bacon from My Paris Kitchen

David Lebovitz Baked Eggs with Kale My Paris Kitchen on eatlivetravelwrite.com

This week’s Cook the Book Fridays recipe from David Lebovitz’ My Paris Kitchen speaks volumes about how the food scene in Paris has changed over the past decade. Earlier this summer I reviewed Kristen Beddard’s Bonjour Kale, a charming tale of one expat’s quest to re-introduce a forgotten vegetable back into the Frecnh mainstream – kale or “le chou kale” as it’s known.

Back in the late 1990s when I lived in Paris you’d never have been able to locate kale but slowly, over the last few years, it has increased in both visibility and popularity, hence David’s ability to whip up an easy little breakfast/ brunch/lunch (it’s very versatile) dish with it would have been impossible to create when he (or I) first moved to Paris.

Basically it’s wilted kale topped with eggs, a touch of cream, goat’s cheese and some garlicky breadcrumbs (the absolute star of the show for me this week – I’ll be making more and keeping them on hand!). David adds some smoked salmon but I used a couple of rashers of bacon instead that I cooked until crisp and then tossed through the kale.  At 350˚F my eggs took much longer than the suggested 10-12 minutes until the whites were actually cooked (closer to 20 minutes actually) so if you make this recipe, watch out for that. It was a lovely brunch for one and the kale does make it feel like it’s mildly healthy 😉

Baked eggs with kale from My Paris Kitchen on eatlivetravelwrite.com

Get the recipe for David Lebovitz’ baked eggs with kale and bacon here on p 151 of My Paris Kitchen.

MyParisKitchenDavidLebovitz

Purchase My Paris Kitchen for yourselves on Amazon (this link should bring you to the Amazon store closest to you) Or for free worldwide shipping, buy from The Book Depository then join us over on Cook the Book Fridays!

Please note: The product links from Amazon and The Book Depository are affiliate links, meaning if you click over and purchase something, I will receive a very small percentage of the purchase price which goes towards maintaining eat. live. travel. write. Thank you in advance!

Disclosure: I was provided with a copy of “My Paris Kitchen” for review purposes. I was not asked to write about the book, nor am I being compensated for doing do. All opinions 100% my own.

, , , , , ,

20 Responses to French Fridays: Baked Eggs with kale and bacon from My Paris Kitchen

1. Margaret Jóhanna October 21, 2016 at 16:13 #

Looks great. I agree with you the bread crumbs were the star of this dish. I would like to make this again with bacon and spinach.

2. Nana October 21, 2016 at 19:17 #

We really enjoyed this dish and since Jim wants a repeat, I plan on making it again next week using
    bacon instead of ham. A simple and easy recipe that can be served anytime.

• Mardi Michels October 23, 2016 at 16:25 #

See now I want to make it with ham next time!

3. Joyce, Kitchen Flavours October 22, 2016 at 07:57 #

Using bacon is a delicious choice, one that my kids would definitely love! This is lovely and I will be making this again!

• Mardi Michels October 23, 2016 at 16:24 #

I think bacon really does make everything better!

4. Teresa October 23, 2016 at 21:24 #

Mine took a little longer to cook, too. And I tripled the breadcrumb recipe, which was a VERY good idea. They really do make this dish and they’re good on just about everything else.

• Mardi Michels October 24, 2016 at 05:05 #

Oh those breadcrumbs are totally going on everything from now on!

5. mary hirsch October 23, 2016 at 23:38 #

Looks delicious. I am always looking for a different breakfast/brunch dish.

• Mardi Michels October 24, 2016 at 05:05 #

Me too and I often have kale on hand that I don’t know what to do with!

6. Our French Oasis October 25, 2016 at 11:32 #

I am totally in love with kale and am so glad that I can now find it readily on sale in our local green grocers here in SW France. I also grow it in the garden as it lasts all winter and has no problems with the cold! I love it raw in green smoothies and also often serve kale chips, roasted in a very hot over with some salt and olive oil, the children adore it. I shall be making these eggs with kale for a light supper this evening. Merci beaucoup

• Mardi Michels October 25, 2016 at 11:50 #

It’s definitely a perfect light supper 🙂

7. Betsy October 25, 2016 at 21:24 #

The breadcrumbs were amazing! I really enjoyed this for a light lunch or dinner. I smiled remembering Bonjour Kale, one of my favorite summer reads (thanks to you!)

• Mardi Michels October 26, 2016 at 05:07 #

Aw thanks! Bonjour Kale is a lovely tale and I’m sure David is thankful for Kristin’s work to bring it back to people’s attention too!

8. Shirley @ Flourishen Test Kitchen October 28, 2016 at 10:09 #

The crispy bacon did it for me. I like the flavor you put into the dish.

• Mardi Michels October 28, 2016 at 13:51 #

It’s really good with bacon but you do need to hold the salt because the goat cheese is salty too. But great flavours!

9. lisa brown November 1, 2016 at 05:01 #

It looks lovely, it would have been a great way to use up the abundance of Kale I have been receiving at my CSA. Alas, I am an egg hater. I will eat very few – once in a while I will have a deviled egg or hard boiled. But it takes a lot to get me to do that. I love the idea of using bacon.

• Mardi Michels November 1, 2016 at 11:41 #

I think even with no egg you could do a baked cake/ cream/ bacon dish!

10. Candy November 5, 2016 at 15:10 #

Your dish looks wonderful. I loved the crumbs too – I made extra, so they also worked perfectly on rack of lamb later in the week! Great idea of using the bacon. I made one with the salmon, one plain. I thought it’s a great jumping-off point.