Posted by https://www.eatlivetravelwrite.com/2016/06/fire-roasted-tomato-soup-with-grilled-cheese-croutons/
© 2016 eat. live. travel. write.. All rights reserved.
Fire-roasted tomato soup with grilled cheese croutons
Fire roasted tomaotes bring this soup to the next level!
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 4 cloves garlic, peeled and minced
- 1 large onion, roughly chopped (approx 200g)
- 3 medium carrots, roughly chopped (approx 200g)
- 2 sticks celery, roughly chopped (approx150g)
- 1 can Muir Glen Fire Roasted diced tomatoes (796mls/ 28floz)
- 1 litre (4 cups) chicken or vegetable stock
- Salt and pepper, to taste
For the croutons
- 4-6 slices country bread
- 75g sharp cheddar cheese, grated
- Heat the oil and butter in a large saucepan on medium-high heat.
- Add garlic and onion and gently sauté until just starting to soften but not brown (5-8 minutes).
- Add the carrots and celery and continue to cook over medium heat for around 10 minutes. The vegetables should be starting to get a little soft.
- Add the tomatoes and stir to combine.
- Add the stock and increase the heat to high. Bring to a boil.
- Reduce the heat to a simmer and cover the pan.
- Simmer, stirring occasionally, for around 30 minutes. The vegetables should be quite soft at this time - you should be able to crush them with the back of a fork.
- Remove from heat and season to taste.
- Allow to cool before you use an immersion blender or a regular blender to blend the soup until smooth.
- For the croutons:
- Pre-heat the broiler (grill) to medium-high.
- Toast your bread, then sprinkle the cheese evenly over the top of each slice.
- Place bread on a baking tray lined with parchment and place under broiler until the cheese is melted and bubbling.
- Remove from heat and allow to cool slightly before cutting into croutons.
- Serve on top of the soup.