Posted by https://www.eatlivetravelwrite.com/2016/05/spicy-shakshuka/
© 2016 eat. live. travel. write.. All rights reserved.
These Middle Eastern–style eggs are a nice addition to a brunch, or serve them for a quick and delicious dinner any night of the week.
- 2 tbsp (30 mL) olive oil
- 1 onion, finely chopped
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 tsp (5 mL) paprika
- 1 tsp (5 mL) ground cumin
- 1 tsp (5 mL) salt
- 1/4 tsp (1 mL) hot pepper flakes
- Pinch cayenne pepper
- 1/4 cup (60 mL) tomato paste
- 5 cups (1.25 L) coarsely chopped Ontario Greenhouse Roma tomatoes
- 8 eggs
- 1/3 cup (75 mL) crumbled feta cheese
- 2 tbsp (30 mL) finely chopped fresh cilantro
- 6 small pita breads, warmed
- Preheat oven to 400°F (200°C).
- Heat oil in high-sided ovenproof skillet set over medium heat; cook onion, garlic, paprika, cumin, salt, hot pepper flakes and cayenne, stirring occasionally, for 3 to 5 minutes or until vegetables start to soften.
- Stir in tomato paste; cook for 1 minute.
- Add tomatoes; cook, stirring occasionally, for 20 to 25 minutes or until thickened.
- Using back of spoon, make 8 divots in the sauce mixture; crack an egg into each divot. Baste each egg with a little of the tomato sauce.
- Transfer to oven; cook for 5 to 7 minutes or until eggs are soft-cooked or until desired doneness.
- Garnish with feta and cilantro.
- Serve with pita bread.
- Chef's Tip: Substitute parsley for cilantro if desired. Use smoked paprika for more intense flavour.