Posted by https://www.eatlivetravelwrite.com/2015/09/kale-cherry-and-goat-cheese-salad-with-apples-and-toasted-almonds/
© 2015 eat. live. travel. write.. All rights reserved.
Kale, cherry and goat cheese salad with apples and toasted almonds
A colourful salad combining sweet, savoury and tart flavours with some crunch for good measure.
- 1/3 cup sliced almonds
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 tablespoons apple cider vinegar
- 1 tablespoon grainy Dijon mustard
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1 teaspoon honey
- pinch (1/8 teaspoon) sea salt
- 2 bunches kale, ribs and stems removed, roughly torn into small pieces
- 2 cups (2 good handsful) fresh salad mix
- 1/3 cup dried cherries, snipped in half with scissors
- 1 small apple, cubed
- 125g soft, fresh goat cheese, crumbled
- Heat a small skillet over medium heat.
- Add the sliced almonds and move around the pan constantly with a wooden spoon until the almonds start to brown a little around the edges (around 10 minutes). Make sure to keep an eye on these - they can burn very quickly.
- Remove almonds from heat and allow to cool.
- Whisk the oil, vinegar, mustard, garlic, honey and salt together (or shake in a jam jar).
- In a large bowl, toss the kale and salad leaves with the dressing. Let the salad sit for about 10 minutes, then re-toss with tongs.
- Add the cherries, apple and almonds and mix through the salad leaves.
- Add the goat cheese and gently mix through.
- Serve immediately.