Posted by https://www.eatlivetravelwrite.com/2015/02/little-orange-almond-cupcakes-for-national-cupcake-day-2015/
© 2015 eat. live. travel. write.. All rights reserved.
Little orange clementine cupcakes
Mini cupcakes made with almond flour with loads of zest!
- 60g unsalted butter at room temperature
- 55g (1/4 cup) granulated sugar
- 1 egg, lightly beaten
- zest of 1/2 an orange or 1 clementine
- 40g almond meal
- 50g (1/3 cup) all-purpose flour, sifted
- 1/4 teaspoon baking powder
- 60mls (1/4 cup) orange juice
- 1 egg white
For the cream cheese frosting
- 125 cream cheese, at room temperature
- 60g unsalted butter, at room temperature
- 1/4-1/2 cup icing sugar, sifted
- 1-2 teaspoons orange zest (to taste)
- Preheat oven to 350˚F.
- Cream butter and sugar with an electric hand beater or in a stand mixer fitted with the paddle attachment until pale in colour and smooth.
- Add the egg and zest and beat to combine well.
- Using a rubber spatula, incorporate the almond meal, flour and baking powder. the mixture will be quite stiff.
- Add the orange juice, stirring gently to combine.
- In a separate bowl, whip the egg white to soft peaks.
- Fold the egg white into the almond meal mixture, being careful not to over-mix.
- To fill mini cupcake liners, use a teaspoon or place the batter into a piping bag and pipe the mixture into the baking cups.
- Bake for 15 minutes or until a toothpick inserted into the middle of the cakes comes out clean.
- Serve with a sprinkle of icing sugar or allow to cool completely before icing.
- To make the cream cheese frosting:
- Combine cream cheese, zest and butter with an electric hand-held beater or a stand mixer fitted with a paddle attachment until soft and creamy.
- Gradually add the icing sugar (to taste – I like mine on the tart side), mixing to combine well.