French Fridays with Dorie: Lamb and dried apricot tagine

Lamb and apricot tagine from Around my French Table for French Fridays with Dorie on eatlivetravelwrite.comIt’s a very seasonal French Fridays with Dorie (at least for those of us in snowy Toronto today!) – a tagine is the ultimate comfort food.  This version from Dorie combines a spice blend that’s reminiscent of Morocco, yet Dorie says: “I don’t think there’s very much that’s authentic in this recipe, which was given to me by a friend-of-a friend in France, Francoise Maloberti, but never mind — the pleasure you’ll get from it is plenty authentic.”

Sometimes spelled tajine,  the word refers to both the finished dish as well as to the earthenware/ clay pot in which it’s cooked.  The pots are gorgeous (and believe me, we eyed them in both Morocco and Tunisia years ago!) but impractical to carry in one’s luggage and the decent ones here are quite expensive so, thankfully, to make a tagine, you don’t need one – a Dutch oven or high-sided skillet will do the trick nicely!

Dorie calls the fragrance from the spices as the dish cooks  “dizzying – wonderfully, delightfully and intoxicatingly so” and I have to say I agree. This was cooked slowly over the course of a chilly Sunday afternoon as I pottered about the kitchen – it’s a pretty hands-off dish (the best kind!). Perfect cold weather fare and looking out the window this morning at the piles of snow outside, it makes me wish there were still leftovers!

Get the recipe for Dorie’s Lamb and Dried Apricot Tagine here or on page 284 of Around my French Table.

FFwD badge

French Fridays with Dorie participants do not publish the recipes on our blogs, we prefer if you purchase Around My French Table for yourselves which you can do here on Amazon or Amazon Canada. Or for free worldwide shipping, buy from The Book Depository. Go on, treat yourself then join us here!

Eiffel Tower Paris on eatlivetravelwrite.com

NEW: Want to experience Paris differently? Join me in March 2015 with AYA Life for a trip to Paris like no other – “like a local”. Details here.

___________

Please note: The product links from Amazon, Amazon.ca and The Book Depository are affiliate links, meaning if you click over and purchase something, I will receive a very small percentage of the purchase price which goes towards maintaining eat. live. travel. write. Thank you in advance!

, , , , , ,

18 Responses to French Fridays with Dorie: Lamb and dried apricot tagine

1. Liz December 12, 2014 at 05:46 #

Yeah, this one smelled amazing as it cooked away! Bill didn’t mind it, once I told him most of the “exotic” spices were in the sauce. He scraped that away and ate the lamb without complaint. I think we have a very similar Dutch oven 🙂

2. Cher December 12, 2014 at 06:35 #

Uh. I think that makes three of us with that Dutch oven:-)
    This did smell pretty good while it was cooking.

3. Katie December 12, 2014 at 10:09 #

Looks great, Mardi! Glad you all enjoyed it so much! And what a great cold weather dish!

4. Ei December 12, 2014 at 10:40 #

I, too, have always been tempted to buy a tagine, but I just don’t think I’d use it enough to justify the cabinet space, when a dutch oven seems to do the trick. Your stew looks wonderful!

5. Coco in the Kitchen December 12, 2014 at 15:42 #

Very exotique!
    I love it. Might even make it tonight.

6. Rose December 12, 2014 at 17:01 #

It’s the size of my kitchen which keeps me from buying all the pretty cookware which I really want. I have a rule that, until I win the lottery and move into a place with a much bigger kitchen, no single use tools are allowed in my kitchen. Until then, the dutch oven is a workhorse.

7. Kathy December 12, 2014 at 19:29 #

This really is a great cold weather dish! I was sorry I couldn’t get it done this week…however it is on my agenda for dinner tomorrow night! Yours looks delectable…the sauce sounds amazing!
    I finally did get the red kuri soup done…a winner for sure! Happy Friday!

8. Mary Hirsch December 12, 2014 at 20:59 #

Glad that this tagine was in sync with your weather. It’s cold here in the mountains also so anything that’s stew-y works just fine. I liked these spices and flavoring, loved the lamb recipe but couldn’t eat this routinely. Give me a beef stew anytime. But it was delicious and I am glad the two of you enjoyed it also.

9. Betsy December 12, 2014 at 21:29 #

No, it’s four of us with the same Dutch oven, all my favorite Doristas. This was so perfect for the weather! Loved this one too!

10. Catherine December 13, 2014 at 00:48 #

Looks and sounds wonderful. Catherine

11. Mr. Neil December 13, 2014 at 10:01 #

I will only permit a tajine in this house that is genuinely from Maroc or Tunis or Algiers. No Habitant or IKEA here!

Just love tajine, and this one was delightful. A tad too watery for my tastes — but the flavours were great. (And the apricots really brought a decidedly anti-wintry shine to the dish.)

I paired with a Domaine des Ouleb Thaleb Syrah de Maroc for some authenticity. As a 2006, it was displaying lots of earthy and muchroom notes. A glorious match – and for a moment, on a dark, wintry Toronto evening, brought us back to Marocco… 🙂

12. Adriana December 13, 2014 at 14:29 #

I just finished my leftovers today and am sad about it. It’s a dish that’s even better on the third day!
    My next Dutch oven has to be blue… I love how the color of the dish pops out. 🙂

13. Diane Balch December 13, 2014 at 16:49 #

I think it’s funny that a dish from a warm weather country is so perfect for a cold day, but it was it really was. Glad you enjoyed it too.

14. Gracie ~ Food Fascination December 13, 2014 at 23:04 #

I agree, this is perfect for cold weather and delicious!

15. Diane Zwang December 14, 2014 at 17:50 #

We loved this one too. A stew is great comfort food and we have had cold weather in California lately too. I would make a few adjustments next time but would like to make it again.

16. Alice December 15, 2014 at 00:07 #

ooh the aroma was just devastatingly tasty!!

17. Cakelaw December 15, 2014 at 05:54 #

I just adore tagines – this was fabulous.

Trackbacks/Pingbacks

1. French Fridays with Dorie: Orange and Olive Salad - Great Food 360˚ - December 19, 2014

[…] up a surprising one-two punch of Moroccan influenced recipes.  Coincidence, FFwD Santa? Thanks to Mardi’s Mr. Neil, last week we learned that the French name for Morocco is Maroc (and that they produce great […]