Posted by https://www.eatlivetravelwrite.com/2014/07/food-revolution-ambassador-monthly-challenge-for-july-2014-a-healthy-meal-on-a-budget/
© 2014 eat. live. travel. write.. All rights reserved.
1 hr 5 mins
Easy vegan chili that's also healthy and will feed 4-6 people for under 15€! A recipe created for the Food Revolution Ambassador July 2014 Monthly Challenge.
- 2 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 1/2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 1 1/2 teaspoons ground coriander
- 1/2 green bell pepper, chopped
- 1/2 red bell pepper, chopped
- 1/2 yellow or orange bell pepper, chopped
- hot chill pepper (jalapeño, for example), to taste, minced
- 1 large zucchini, chopped into rounds, then quartered into cubes
- 1 eggplant, chopped into cubes approximately the same size as the zucchini
- 6-8 tomatoes, chopped into cubes
- 1 cup red kidney beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 cup whole kernel corn, rinsed and drained
- 1/2 cup fresh cilantro/ coriander, chopped
- 2 ripe avocados
- 4-6 green onions, finely sliced
- fresh cilantro, chopped
- toasted pumpkin seeds
- Heat the olive oil in a large pan over medium-high heat.
- Add the onion and garlic and cook for a few minutes over medium heat until the onion is translucent.
- Add the cumin and coriander and stir to thoroughly coat the onions and garlic with the spice mixture.
- Add the peppers, zucchini and eggplant, stir well to combine, cover and simmer for 15-20 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Add the tomatoes, kidney beans corn and cilantro/coriander stir well, then cover and cook for approximately 15 minutes.
- NB: the cook time will depend on how big you have chopped your vegetables - if they are larger cubes/ chunks, you will need to cook it longer (at a lower heat). I like my veggies a little on the al dente side, rather than mushy, so I tend to cook this less, especially if I am not eating it that day as when you re-heat it, the vegetables will cook more.
- Serve the chill in a bowl topped with cubes of avocado, the green onions, cilantro and toasted pumpkin seeds scattered over the top.
- For some extra crunch, serve with plain corn tortilla chips on the side.