Posted by https://www.eatlivetravelwrite.com/2014/06/beef-and-mushroom-kofta-with-beet-slaw-and-minted-yoghurt-dip/
© 2014 eat. live. travel. write.. All rights reserved.
Beef and mushroom kofta with beet "slaw" and minted yoghurt dip
Easy beef koftas made with mushrooms to help "extend" the mixture a little further and add an extra serve of veggies! Served with minted yoghurt and a beet "slaw"
- 200g mixed mushrooms
- 1/2 cup fresh cilantro
- 3 green onions
- 400g lean ground beef
- 1 teaspoon ground coriander
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon ground mild paprika
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 1 egg
- 1/2 cup panko breadcrumbs
For the yoghurt
- 1 cup plain Greek yoghurt
- 1 tablespoon fresh mint
- For the "slaw"
- 1 small carrot
- 1 small beet
- 1/2 cup grated cabbage
- 1/2 red onion
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- zest and juice of 1 lemon (you might not need all the juice)
- 8 pita bread pockets
- Make the kofta:
- Soak 8 bamboo skewers in water (completely immersed).
- Place the mushrooms in the bowl of a food processor fitted with a metal blade.
- Pulse until the mushrooms are finely chopped.
- Remove mushrooms from food processor and place in a large bowl.
- Place cilantro and green onions in the bowl of the food processor (no need to rinse it out).
- Process until finely chopped.
- Add the cilantro and green onion mixture to the mushrooms.
- Add the beef, ground coriander, cumin, paprika to the mushroom mixture.
- Now add the egg and breadcrumbs.
- Mix with your hands until all ingredients are combined.
- Using your hands, take approximately 2 heaping tablespoons of the mixture and form a sausage-shape around a wooden skewer. Now place a second sausage-shape of the meat on the same skewer. The mixture will be a little softer to handle than straight ground beef but do your best!
- Repeat with remaining beef/ mushroom mixture until you have 8 skewers each with 2 sausage-shapes.
- Place on a platter, cover with plastic wrap and refrigerate.
- Make the yoghurt:
- Finely chop the fresh mint and stir into the yoghurt.
- Cover with plastic wrap and refrigerate.
- Make the "slaw":
- Grate the carrot, beet, cabbage and red onion using a box grater.
- Combine with the lemon zest, olive oil and about ½ of the lemon juice.
- Cover with plastic wrap and refrigerate
- To cook:
- Pre-heat the BBQ to medium-high heat.
- Grill the kofta skewers, turning occasionally, until cooked through (do not rely on touch for these - the mushrooms make them much softer than regular burger patties or similar - you will have to cut them open to see if they are done).
- Remove from the grill and let them rest as you organize all the other ingredients.
- To assemble:
- Split a pita pocket and place a spoon of the yoghurt in the bottom, then add 2 of the kofta, topped with some of the "slaw" and a dollop more yoghurt.