Posted by https://www.eatlivetravelwrite.com/2012/11/rakia-bar-toronto-and-a-recipe-for-trifle/
© 2012 eat. live. travel. write.. All rights reserved.
Mini trifles for the holidays
Mini trifles are slightly more elegant that one large one and it allows you to be creative with your ingredients.
- approximately 12 thin slices pound cake
- about 1/2 cup of rakia or fruit brandy/ eau de vie/ Poire Williams/ Calvados
- approximately 4 cups prepared custard or pastry cream
- 4 cups mixed berries, sliced in halves if they are larger
- 4-6 tablespoons whipped cream
- Briefly soak the pound cake slices in the fruit brandy. Don't let it get too soggy.
- In tumbler-style glasses, layer the cake, berries and custard alternately.
- Top with dollops of whipped cream.
- Serve immediately or cover tumblers with plastic wrap and refrigerate until needed - not too long though otherwise the cake will completely collapse into a puddle of brandy.